diy headphone amp quality?
Nov 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thebreathofone

New Head-Fier
hi,

I was wondering if any of the diy amps produce decent sq. The amp specifically I was thinking about building is the CMoy amp. Originally I was thinking about buying a amp in the 100 to 300 dollar range.

Thanks for your help

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 5
The CMoy isn't bad. I built a GMoy (on a PCB) that sounds pretty good. It's good for a small, inexpensive amp.

If you're interested in working up to some of the bigger DIY projects, you will find them very rewarding. Sound quality from many DIY amps equals or betters commercial amps. You won't get as slick of a case as a commercial amp unless you really spend a lot or put a lot of hours into it, but the sound quality is excellent.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Don't forget that many of the most well-respected "commercial" amps here at head-fi were once DIYers. Scrounge around in the archives here and at Headwize, diyaudio, etc and you often find some familiar names on the projects...

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget that many of the most well-respected "commercial" amps here at head-fi were once DIYers. Scrounge around in the archives here and at Headwize, diyaudio, etc and you often find some familiar names on the projects...

Yep, a lot of guys turned DIY-for-profit and use slight variations on circuits that have been floating around hobbyists for years. That's not a criticism, it's actually smart business. The DIY designs have been kicked around by lots of people, so if there are problems/shortcomings with the circuit, they get ironed out over time. Any DIY project that's been around for a few years tends to be solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back