DIY Ground Box Thread
May 25, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #1,711 of 1,869
Are you thinking of using the crystals as the filter material like a ground box?
Yes, sort of

i wanna try it as
1. "orgonite" (so, not connected just placed somewhere in the same room where you are listening)
2. placed on top of speakers (and i read some recommendation to put the crystals where room modes are the loudest, i still have to try this)
3. as "grounding box", placed ideally on top of a device and connected to some gnd point

but can i ask you with which non-piezoelectric crystals you have played around with?

specially interested in stuff that still has some "propertys" like magnetite or flourite

in these big entreq boxes there also must be some "filler" stones imo

May 25, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #1,712 of 1,869
Yes, sort of

i wanna try it as
1. "orgonite" (so, not connected just placed somewhere in the same room where you are listening)
2. placed on top of speakers (and i read some recommendation to put the crystals where room modes are the loudest, i still have to try this)
3. as "grounding box", placed ideally on top of a device and connected to some gnd point

but can i ask you with which non-piezoelectric crystals you have played around with?

specially interested in stuff that still has some "propertys" like magnetite or flourite

in these big entreq boxes there also must be some "filler" stones imo
Only tried piezoelectric, ferroelectric and cannot remember what the other is called. Crystals from my experiments do not filter. They have a resonating frequency. when agitated (even micro vibration) their resonating frequency is transferred to whatever they are in contact with. This is what I have observed so far.

I highly doubt they can do for a system what a ground box does. The ground box absorbs or removes HF noise from an electrical stage of a component. So what I am saying is crystals can be effective for tonal tuning, not HF noise removal. Now it is possible certain crystals absorb or redirect EMI. But to my ears not enough to be used as noise absorbing material without causing bad side effects. But only after exhaustive testing can I be 100% sure of this theory.

May 26, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #1,713 of 1,869
@rickmcinnis

How is the Nano Liquid and AC home wiring treatment with Rochelle salt coming along? What I am asking is what else have you treated and how is your system sonically changing? This will be possibly instructional or helpful for others that have not tried either.

May 27, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #1,714 of 1,869
Hello, I'm new here but I'm reading this from the beginning. Very interesting project! I ordered many materials to try it for myself.
In the past I experimented with crystals and minerals on top of audio gear. Also with the so called Ground-Control mod.
One example: https://6moons.com/audioreviews/groundcontrol/groundcontrol_2.html
This tweak also takes away some electronic garbage out of the sound.
Happy tweaking!

May 27, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #1,715 of 1,869
Hello, I'm new here but I'm reading this from the beginning. Very interesting project! I ordered many materials to try it for myself.
In the past I experimented with crystals and minerals on top of audio gear. Also with the so called Ground-Control mod.
One example: https://6moons.com/audioreviews/groundcontrol/groundcontrol_2.html
This tweak also takes away some electronic garbage out of the sound.
Happy tweaking!
Welcome to the thread. The ground tweak you reference I/we use to DIY. The project is in AA in the tweaks section probably 10 years ago. What you will find in this thread (aside crystals) is far more effective in lowering the noise floor than the ground control tweak. Have fun and let us know how it goes for you.

May 27, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #1,716 of 1,869
Welcome to the thread. The ground tweak you reference I/we use to DIY. The project is in AA in the tweaks section probably 10 years ago. What you will find in this thread (aside crystals) is far more effective in lowering the noise floor than the ground control tweak. Have fun and let us know how it goes for you.
Thanks! I will report.
BTW, when the input/output parallel resistors are changed from metal types to carbon or wire it also seems to lower the noise floor despite that it sounds a bit fuller and smoother with carbon film.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #1,717 of 1,869
@rickmcinnis

How is the Nano Liquid and AC home wiring treatment with Rochelle salt coming along? What I am asking is what else have you treated and how is your system sonically changing? This will be possibly instructional or helpful for others that have not tried either.
I got off track getting my turntable working. Changed from oil to grease in the bearing and some other refinements after a long period of computer audio. No streaming - gave that a try and it did not come close to my music computer and local files. I can enjoy both - they both have their strengths and weaknesses. One learns from the use of both.

I mentioned your work at DIYAudio in the PASS forums where people are more accepting of the new. Of course, it generated responses form people I had never seen post at the PASS forum before with the usual silly claptrap. Then they moved the thread to THE LOUNGE which I had never looked in before. Amazing how there are so many PROTECTORS OF THE STATUS QUO AUDIO UNIVERSE at DIYAudio. I figure most of the prolific posters might listen to an hour of music each week? It is a sad phenomenon when you cannot bring yourself to try something as CHEAP as the Rochelle salts in a few switch plates. I am of two minds about these folks - on one hand if your system will not resolve well enough for you to hear any subtle improvements and you are happy with that I am happy for you and then there are the folks who have so little experience listening they could not hear the difference even if one were made. Again, if your system brings you happiness and satisfaction that is all that matters. I look at the thing as a puzzle that will never be solved but there are an infinite number of steps for improving the system and each presents a challenge that leads to greater satisfaction.

I was writing about the Rochelle salts since I do not have experience with the ground box yet - finally got my magnetite yesterday so I should have some experience with the ground box this weekend. Have the parts ready for two which I will connect to the DACs for the main speakers left and right channels. I must admit I am still skeptical of the ground box even though I want it to work. Trying to dismantle any tendency to confirmation bias!

I look forward to reporting on my ground box adventure.

Thanks for your work, cdacosta

May 31, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #1,718 of 1,869
I got off track getting my turntable working. Changed from oil to grease in the bearing and some other refinements after a long period of computer audio. No streaming - gave that a try and it did not come close to my music computer and local files. I can enjoy both - they both have their strengths and weaknesses. One learns from the use of both.

I mentioned your work at DIYAudio in the PASS forums where people are more accepting of the new. Of course, it generated responses form people I had never seen post at the PASS forum before with the usual silly claptrap. Then they moved the thread to THE LOUNGE which I had never looked in before. Amazing how there are so many PROTECTORS OF THE STATUS QUO AUDIO UNIVERSE at DIYAudio. I figure most of the prolific posters might listen to an hour of music each week? It is a sad phenomenon when you cannot bring yourself to try something as CHEAP as the Rochelle salts in a few switch plates. I am of two minds about these folks - on one hand if your system will not resolve well enough for you to hear any subtle improvements and you are happy with that I am happy for you and then there are the folks who have so little experience listening they could not hear the difference even if one were made. Again, if your system brings you happiness and satisfaction that is all that matters. I look at the thing as a puzzle that will never be solved but there are an infinite number of steps for improving the system and each presents a challenge that leads to greater satisfaction.

I was writing about the Rochelle salts since I do not have experience with the ground box yet - finally got my magnetite yesterday so I should have some experience with the ground box this weekend. Have the parts ready for two which I will connect to the DACs for the main speakers left and right channels. I must admit I am still skeptical of the ground box even though I want it to work. Trying to dismantle any tendency to confirmation bias!

I look forward to reporting on my ground box adventure.

Thanks for your work, cdacosta
Lets be honest, most of the tweaks in this thread at first glance feel or sound suspicious. Or for me sets off the ehhhhh, I don't know about that feeling/antenna. But once any of the tweaks are experienced the resulting change is undeniable. Unless of course one's hearing is impaired. Now for me, instantly part of my brain would also flag why would a fellow audiophile be mentioning something that sounds like BS? Curiosity would get me asking questions. We don't know what we don't know. By the time you are fully done with your plan outlined before, you will be so happy with the transformation of the sonic capability of your system... you won't give two craps about what others think. The musicality, level of precision and resolution produced from your system will be well beyond what you thought your system to be capable of. Just to start, do "exactly" what I recommend. After you understand what is happening then venture off.

Regarding the ground box, performance or how it effects your system performance is dictated by three things. The build, cable and installation location.

1) The build: Everything about its construction, including mineral mix used, volume of minerals, footers, binding post material, no binding post/direct wiring and internal wiring used. All effects what is heard from your system. I have mentioned many times the system can be tuned sonically and tonally by adjusting mineral mix. Think of the Magnetite as the main ingredient, and the other minerals are used to enhance and tune.

2) The Cable: After a good build and install location, the cable will represent approx. 50% of the overall performance of the ground box. With my DIY recipe there are four levels of performance:
- Level 1: The base cable
- Level 2: The base cable + Furutech Nano Liquid
- Level 3: The base cable + Furutech Nano Liquid + Ground Box Enhancement Wrap (at ground box end)
- Level 4: The base cable + Furutech Nano Liquid + Ground Box Enhancement Wrap (at ground box end) + Rochelle Salt mini Wrap (at component end)

Lately as I have posted, a single small clear crystal at the Rochelle Salt mini Wrap (at component end) will further enhance cable performance.

3) Installation Location: Where the ground box is installed is critical to the performance of the ground box. I have posted an extensive list previously sharing most optimal to worst locations to install based on my year long testing. Here is an example to nail my point home. Lets assume you have a well designed ground box and cable. Scenario 1, install it the chassis (say by spade or alligator clip) of a power supply source or component chassis. Scenario 2, install same box and cable at the output or input stage of a DAC via RCA connector. With scenario 1 you may hear a slight change sonically. With scenario 2 the sonic change should be shockingly obvious, you will likely get the "wait what?" moment.

May 31, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #1,719 of 1,869
Ground-Box running. Connected to DAC RCA input ground. When I disconnect I can hear a difference. My new headphones not here so it will take some time before I can manage a serious report. Rochelle salt not inserted yet.
How long is the burn-in time for the GB?

May 31, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #1,720 of 1,869
Ground-Box running. Connected to DAC RCA input ground. When I disconnect I can hear a difference. My new headphones not here so it will take some time before I can manage a serious report. Rochelle salt not inserted yet.
How long is the burn-in time for the GB?
A few days for most of the settling in.

I think you sharing will prove instructive or helpful for most thinking of building and incorporating ground box(s) into their system. I have some questions:

1) What do you hear that is different after installing that ground box to your DAC?

2) Tell us about the build of your ground box and cable. How far off my recipe is what I am asking, and what if anything did you change? I may be able to help you improve performance.

May 31, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,721 of 1,869
Thanks cdacosta!

1) When I disconnect after hearing 20min. The soundstage on some albums crumbling down. The see-thru diminishes. Highs are more strident. Bass seems to loosen up. Everything becomes hazy and veiled. The differences are not dramatic but hearable. Micro detail on the most upper highs smearing or disappearing.

2) Wood box, Magnetite powder 3Kg, Graphite powder 2 spoons, Himalaya pink rock salt 2 spoons, 4 handful prehnite, 1 spoon bentonite.

Cable: 3x 2,5mm polished OFC fine stranded with woven ground shield connected only on the RCA side, gold plated 5-way binding post, very tight sitting gold plated RCA plugged in DAC RCA coaxial input.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #1,722 of 1,869
4 handful prehnite,
first time reading someone else tried prehnite, how do you like it? did you do some test with it "isolated" ?

May 31, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #1,724 of 1,869
Thanks cdacosta!

1) When I disconnect after hearing 20min. The soundstage on some albums crumbling down. The see-thru diminishes. Highs are more strident. Bass seems to loosen up. Everything becomes hazy and veiled. The differences are not dramatic but hearable. Micro detail on the most upper highs smearing or disappearing.

2) Wood box, Magnetite powder 3Kg, Graphite powder 2 spoons, Himalaya pink rock salt 2 spoons, 4 handful prehnite, 1 spoon bentonite.

Cable: 3x 2,5mm polished OFC fine stranded with woven ground shield connected only on the RCA side, gold plated 5-way binding post, very tight sitting gold plated RCA plugged in DAC RCA coaxial input.
No way for me to know how your box performs, the mix and cable is very different than my recipe. Did you try the mix without Prehnite and Bentonite? I have tried a variety of minerals in the mix and most (even small amounts of) degrade performance.

Installation location is good.

Your cable IMHO is likely going to be not optimal. There is several reasons for this. Remember I mentioned cable being 50% of the ground box performance? You can do a direct comparison by building my basic recipe. Which is the dual twisted 2.0mm x2 (11AWG) 6N OCC copper stranded wire. Using solderless Furutech clone connectors. For the ground box end (binding post), a high quality low mass pure copper crimp spade can be used also. No shielding, cotton sleeving material for the cable for esthetics is ok. No solder.

Footers under the ground box matters also. Try different de-coupling footers. The ones I suggest work really well on the cheap. But if you have spare footers you are not using, try them.

May 31, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #1,725 of 1,869
@Zapacat

Also add 2 more spoon fulls of graphite to the mix. Add one spoonful and listen. If you like what you hear, add one more spoonful. Will take three days after adding the Graphite for the mix to settle in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back