DIY Ground Box Thread
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #1,486 of 1,636
Re-post from 8/23/2023 page 29:

Below are the list of the twelve ground boxes that filter my headphone system you see listed at the bottom of my posts (called signature?). To give some context I will list the boxes in the order they were installed. All these ground boxes are my DIY 3.5kg+, with only one of them Tourmaline based.

Lets use a 10 point system. Ten represents maximum performance upgrade, giving me a WOW or hell yah response. At a 9 or 10, this would also represent that I felt the performance increase was beyond possibly upgrading that component to a "much more" expensive component. Five would be an obvious performance system enhancement that gets a nod from me that this stays here. A 5 or higher also represents very audible performance enhancements.

Also I should note that right after an installation and possibly for up to 3 days system could shift a tad toward neutral. The Nano Liquid and break-in of connections and settling in can cause this. After 3 days system tonality goes back to the way it was. Also to note with my DIY ground boxes, they can be tuned with minerals after the settling in.

* Proceed DAP DAC has three ground boxes.
- (rating 10 - combined 2 box install) Box #1 and #2. One box filters the analog RCA output. One box filters a digital RCA output.
- (rating 7) third box filters DAC digital BNC input and later added SPDIF RCA cable I modded.
- Important to note that the Odin 2 SPDIF RCA cable I modded for ground box attachment is very good performer after mod. Way better than before mod.

* Schiit Jotunheim 2 Headphone amp now has one box attached to analog RCA input. (Rating 7) I use to have a second (the Tourmaline mix) on the other analog input RCA channel but this added about 25% - 30% performance increase to the first one. I ended up repurposing the second ground box to be used for the Odin Gold power cable for this amp.

* Internet Coax at wall has one box. (rating 7)

* Motorola router/modem combo (rating 5) - One box that filters at the coax connector. The cable from the wall interfaces at this connector.

* Balanced Power isolation PLC (rating 5.5) - This unit separates the iPower X for iFi SPDIF Purifier 2 DDC and DAC from the rest of the system. The ground box cable install is at a pure copper binding post that is part of a star wired scheme inside the PLC.

* Balanced Power isolation PLC (rating 6.5) - This unit separates the PC (source) from the rest of the system. The ground box cable is plugged into the same Maestro outlet the PC power cable (Odin 2) is plugged into.

* Main distribution PLC (rating 5) - This is a really well filtered custom PLC that is powered by the main power cord noted below/next. From ground box it is plugged into the Furutech outlet (via AC connector) the amp's power cord is plugged into. The ground box used for this PLC is shared with the main power cord noted next.

* Main power cord that goes from wall outlet (Oyaide R1) to system main distribution PLC - (Rating 5) I modded this custom power cable to accept a ground cable at the AC connector end. This power cord already has a lot of filtering built in. For reference the main base wiring of the cable is a XLO Signature 3-10. The PLC that it is plugged into also has a lot of filtering built into it.

* Modded Odin 2 Digital SPDIF RCA cable (Rating 7) - The ground cable from this modded digital cable goes to a ground box that the DAC's BNC input is also filtering. I noted this above. The cable before the mod sounded good. Incredible value to performance. After mod it sounds fantastic. I think the reason for this is it is not only filtering the cable, the PC's motherboard is also being filtered. Improved connectors and going solderless also helped.

* Modded Odin 2 XLR balanced interconnects (rating 9.5 - 10) - Each of the two channels have a ground cable that goes to the same ground box. Before the mod I felt these interconnects offered incredible value to performance. After modding they rock. Stellar performance after modding and installing a ground box.

* Modded Odin Gold power cable (Rating 6) - This power cord powers the Jotunheim 2 amp. The mod is done at the IEC end so I can filter the amp's power supply.

As mentioned in previous posts, with each subsequent addition filtering the system improves. I tried to be as honest and real about the performance gains. I do note a bunch of 5s and 6s. But one must keep in mind the performance gains are cumulative. Usually audiophiles are seeking/working for improvements that are usually slight. Even at a 5 rating, the improvement is not slight. Hopefully this helps people interested in ground boxes.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #1,487 of 1,636
Further to my grounding box project ....

as I 3d printed my box, Ive increase the volume by about 150%
Ive added copper plates as the contact points rather than the wire filaments.
the plastic bag holding the mineral mix has been replaced with a sheet of anti rfi/emi fabric thats laid in the box, with the copper vanes and mineral mic held within it.

the copper and the fabric are then connected as before to the rca socket ground.

the mineral mix proportions are as previously described but increase to fill the box.

I played a track ...then paused it. Added the new grounding box to the digital ground and press play....about 4 seconds !

" well knock me over with a feather " had to check to see if it was the same track !

so quantity of material and contact area play a big role.

Im getting more precise imaging with greater slam and oddly greater delicacy
I spent months experimenting with variations. Copper plates of different thicknesses, shielding, ways to increase contact area to minerals, etc. Interesting and informative but time consuming. Fun also, especially if you get a break through to further performance.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #1,488 of 1,636
In the last couple of days I have received emails asking about ground box installs and such. I looked back through the thread and found two posts that likely will be worth re-posting. I will copy and paste the posts, which will include a link to the posts. Should help someone newer to the concept of passive ground boxes and newer viewers to this thread. Also for those that are looking for a system upgrade without spending thousands, should seriously consider modding the main interconnect from DAC to amp so a ground box can be integrated. This mod and integrating a ground box here is system transformative. The mod is adding a 14ga. 6N OOC ground cable to each the left and right channel of the interconnects. The two ground cables terminate at one ground box. Filtering the output stage of the DAC and interconnect "drastically lowers" the noise floor of the system. The mod should upgrade a good performing interconnect to stellar.

Re-post from 8/23/2023 page 28:

Before going over ground box installs and how effective they were compared to each other, lets go over what I experienced after installing ground box(s). I think this might help others to figure out if a specific install is possibly good, or try installing at a different location. From the start of the project I was coming from the position of a system tweaker. As a hobbyist I am spending resources (money and time) with the objective to improve system performance, to whatever extent possible. I do not see improving a aspect of the system performance while degrading another part of the system as progress or improvement.

After twelve ground boxes and filtering just about every aspect of the system I have got a pretty good idea of best or at least very good practices for an install. First lets start with some general guidelines:

* Use a variety of music you know well to analyze system after installs. With a good install location, you should be able to hear an obvious difference almost right away, or at least within 10 mins or so. Over the next few days will refine but 10 mins in or so you should be able to get a pretty good idea what the install does for overall performance of the system.

* I will spend more time about install locations later. I will assume most will be like me, start with one to three boxes. As a rule of thumb I would start with DAC signal ground (can try analog and digital). Then if your system is internet based, coax ground at wall or router. I love the XLR balanced interconnect cable mod but not everyone can do this mod.

* If after install the difference heard is very slight, the install is not optimum. After removing noise from a component's signal stage (analog or digital), earth ground or cabling, the sonic performance of the system should be real obvious. Noise floor is being lowered, you should be "hearing more". The hearing more will start as improved micro resolution across the frequency band. Depending on how noisy the component(s) or your environment, the more you filter your system, the crazier the resolution is increased. As more noise is removed:

* more air around all sounds

* timbre improvement. This is incremental, the more noise is removed from the system the timbre just keeps getting better and better. An example would be hearing two drum sticks tapping each other. As more noise is removed, the wood coming into contact with each other sounds more and more like real wood being tapped together in front of you. Another example is cymbals will sound more and more real/live including decay detail.

* sound stage width, depth, height and a 360 degree immersion. All gets better and better as the noise is incrementally removed

* Macro and micro resolution is incrementally improved as noise is incrementally removed from the system. As an example, lets say you start with a acoustic guitar string being plucked. As resolution improves it goes like this: can hear the note --> can hear vibration from string being plucked more clearly --> can hear the pick or skin from finger strumming the string --> the edges of the sounds of all this is more and more obvious, with more air around the string vibrating, the pick, finger, nail strumming or scraping the string and a decay of the vibration of the note. Also how this note is more separated from the other notes and sounds. Extremely cool experience to say the least. Electric guitars sound stupid cool.

* As noise is removed bass tightens, becomes quicker, more micro resolution. Bass slam, how hard and fast is obvious. Also even though bass is hitting harder and faster, should not bleed, distort, mask or effect mid bass or higher frequencies. At least not in my system. Bass in my headphone system remind me of a mix of a REL sub with a hint of a JL Audio 10" home sub. I can feel the bass (usually across most of my body), it hits hard and is extremely detailed. Very impressive for a headphone system.

* later in the filtering I got to hear more of the acoustic environment. Like wall reflections, inside of drums, cavity of wood instruments like guitars, cellos, etc.

* As more noise is removed attack, decay and information layering is all improved.

* PRaT, musicality (how one is involuntarily grooving to the music) just gets better and better. I am not sure if it is because my mind understand better what I am hearing because of the amount of info or?

I think you all get the gist. The above is the reason why I have spent so much time or money on this ground box project. These devices have absolutely transformed my system to something I never knew possible. So the point is if a ground box install yields very little change, something is wrong. Assuming a decent ground box, either where or how the device is installed, or the cable. If you try an install and hear very little change, try a different location.
This is a very good description of the effects of the ground box(s).
I am only as far as a makeshift box with only Magnetite and I’m experiencing a lot of what is mentioned above, particularly the soundstage width, height, depth and 360 immersion.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #1,489 of 1,636
Further to my grounding box project ....

as I 3d printed my box, Ive increase the volume by about 150%
Ive added copper plates as the contact points rather than the wire filaments.
the plastic bag holding the mineral mix has been replaced with a sheet of anti rfi/emi fabric thats laid in the box, with the copper vanes and mineral mic held within it.

the copper and the fabric are then connected as before to the rca socket ground.

the mineral mix proportions are as previously described but increase to fill the box.

I played a track ...then paused it. Added the new grounding box to the digital ground and press play....about 4 seconds !

" well knock me over with a feather " had to check to see if it was the same track !

so quantity of material and contact area play a big role.

Im getting more precise imaging with greater slam and oddly greater delicacy
Could you post a picture of the copper/RFI setup in your ground box please?

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #1,490 of 1,636
You can use an XLR termination. I would recommend a solderless connector like the ones I used to mod the XLR balanced interconnects. Solder will degrade performance, no matter the solder used. Note the solderless connector will only accept a 14ga or so conductor. If a thicker gauge conductor is used like in the 11ga. dual twisted 6N I recommend, you will want to solderless crimp connect (use a copper crimp sleeve) the other 14ga. conductor to the one that is connected to the XLR connector.
Thank you for this explanation.

I did not realise the negative effect of solder…………talk about a learning journey!!

Thank you also for the time and effort you put into to this project and your generosity in sharing all the info.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #1,491 of 1,636
Thank you for this explanation.

I did not realise the negative effect of solder…………talk about a learning journey!!

Thank you also for the time and effort you put into to this project and your generosity in sharing all the info.
My pleasure. Hope it helps you.

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #1,492 of 1,636
Well said sir, thanks again for the trailblazing. This is a most excellent thread from which my system has benefited in multiple ways even though I've yet to go down the DIY ground box route.

Speaking of which, this just arrived, finally. I'll be doing a little searching of this thread on the best way to use it, but the internal connectors of my DIY power amp seem as good place to start as any.

20240307_195704.jpg
How do you feel about the Furutech Nano Liquid? What connections have you treated and what are you hearing?

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #1,493 of 1,636
Just to let everyone know the eBay seller I use has the Natural Arizona Magnetite available again. Same price of $21.42 USD with free Priority USPS shipping to US for 7lb bag. Does also ship internationally for an additional fee. I use this Magnetite for all the Wraps (including for AC Power cable Wraps and headphone cables) and ground box main mineral mix.

If you have not tried the AC Power Wraps or headphone cable wrap, here is your chance. 7 lbs should be enough for 3 power cable wraps and one headphone cable wrap. Inexpensive way to improve above mentioned cable performance and system performance. For clarity regarding install of these wraps:

* AC Power Cable Wrap: Place the Magnetite in two separate 5" - 6" long plastic bags. Just sandwich the power cable at the center of the cable with the two bags of Magnetite. I use Velcro to hold the bags firmly around the cable. Just make sure the two bags when used to sandwich the power cable is fully enveloping the cable.

* Headphone cable wrap: Place the Magnetite in two separate 4" or so long plastic bags. Just sandwich the headphone cable close to the amp with the two bags of Magnetite. I use Velcro to hold the bags firmly around the cable. In my system the wrap is installed about 10" from the amp. You can slide the Magnetite wrap up and down the length of the cable for a "slight" change of effect. Just make sure the two bags when used to sandwich the headphone cable is fully enveloping the cable.

The wraps take about 7 mins each to make and install. Effect is immediate and very audible.

EDIT: Here is the link to purchase:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2243004913...x0kYd|tkp:Bk9SR77ry9HFYw&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #1,494 of 1,636
How do you feel about the Furutech Nano Liquid? What connections have you treated and what are you hearing?
Unfortunately soon after posting that last week I came down with the latest strain doing the rounds here so with rather impaired hearing and well - impaired everything - I've had to press pause on audio related tweaks.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #1,495 of 1,636
Unfortunately soon after posting that last week I came down with the latest strain doing the rounds here so with rather impaired hearing and well - impaired everything - I've had to press pause on audio related tweaks.
That sucks. I went through something similar about 2 months ago and it lasted about 2 weeks. My hearing was compressed and muted.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #1,497 of 1,636
@Jake2

Is there a particular way of using these things?

Put crystals on your subwoofer or fullrange speaker for best effect imo i can "clearly" feel differences between for example tourmaline and quartz
Actually because this had such an profouned effect on sound and mood i was wondering if vibration can actually amplify what the esoteric crystal people are talking about crystals... because quartz will give you "some energy" (not like coffeine or something but atleast it doesnt makes you sleepy) and tourmaline makes you kinda sleepy...

try them with some more heavy music so the drivers are doing something and vibration the case, imo this is key, atleast for quartz etc..

actually after noticing the "effects" of just putting crystals on top of bass loaded speaker im questioning the whole "connect a box filled up with stuff electrically to something" (atleast to some degree) since the crystals alone have an effect in the same room as they do in the grounding box

If you use multiple crystals ANYWHERE in the same room you will get mixed effects, for a true test i would completely remove all crystals from the room and just put some on each speaker and listen to the same song with different crystals (maybe even a listen without any crystals, this left me always with a non engaging boring sound in comparison)

it sounds bogus but after alot of testing this is my somewhat conclusion on part of the whole crystal topic

PS: i used either relatively large natural crystals (lets say 7-10cm diameter) on each speaker or ground up crystals in plastic bags.... ground up crystals are around 2-3 times more effective and i suspect (i actually havent tried yet since its a mess with dust...) that if you take a bowl or something small and fill it up with ground up crystals so nothing is between the air and the crystals that it will be even more effective without platicbag

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,498 of 1,636
Put crystals on your subwoofer or fullrange speaker for best effect imo i can "clearly" feel differences between for example tourmaline and quartz
Actually because this had such an profouned effect on sound and mood i was wondering if vibration can actually amplify what the esoteric crystal people are talking about crystals... because quartz will give you "some energy" (not like coffeine or something but atleast it doesnt makes you sleepy) and tourmaline makes you kinda sleepy...

try them with some more heavy music so the drivers are doing something and vibration the case, imo this is key, atleast for quartz etc..

actually after noticing the "effects" of just putting crystals on top of bass loaded speaker im questioning the whole "connect a box filled up with stuff electrically to something" (atleast to some degree) since the crystals alone have an effect in the same room as they do in the grounding box

If you use multiple crystals ANYWHERE in the same room you will get mixed effects, for a true test i would completely remove all crystals from the room and just put some on each speaker and listen to the same song with different crystals (maybe even a listen without any crystals, this left me always with a non engaging boring sound in comparison)

it sounds bogus but after alot of testing this is my somewhat conclusion on part of the whole crystal topic

PS: i used either relatively large natural crystals (lets say 7-10cm diameter) on each speaker or ground up crystals in plastic bags.... ground up crystals are around 2-3 times more effective and i suspect (i actually havent tried yet since its a mess with dust...) that if you take a bowl or something small and fill it up with ground up crystals so nothing is between the air and the crystals that it will be even more effective without platicbag
So if I would buy this…
https://www.amazon.com/ZenQ-Tumbled...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

It will affect sound reproduction when placed on or near speakers?

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #1,499 of 1,636
So if I would buy this…
https://www.amazon.com/ZenQ-Tumbled...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

It will affect sound reproduction when placed on or near speakers?
you have to try it, atleast i can feel a difference in my setup (placed on top of speakers or the decoupled slate the speaker sits on that still gets the cabinet vibrations)
this kinda affects mood imo, the sound change is imo a sound change trough mood change, if that makes sense, you have to try it for yourself

place them on top of speakers is definitely my advice to test a change... i can actually detect a change in sound just by lifting a large quartz up from the speaker and placing it down again while music running and vibrations are produced, try it :)

some low grade natural ruby also has an interesting effect.. it kinda goes in the direction of tourmaline ... and quartz seems kinda somewhat a neutral or opposite of tourmaline and ruby imo but its highly subjective of course :)

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #1,500 of 1,636
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back