DIY Ground Box Thread
Mar 7, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #1,456 of 1,637
Well said sir, thanks again for the trailblazing. This is a most excellent thread from which my system has benefited in multiple ways even though I've yet to go down the DIY ground box route.

Speaking of which, this just arrived, finally. I'll be doing a little searching of this thread on the best way to use it, but the internal connectors of my DIY power amp seem as good place to start as any.

20240307_195704.jpg
Simple, all mechanical connections, on both of the mating connection surfaces. Including inside components and non-soldered cables connectors like power cables. Will take you days to a week to treat an entire system. Just remember, clean first with 91% or better alcohol and a “very” light coat. You will thank me later!

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #1,457 of 1,637
Well said sir, thanks again for the trailblazing. This is a most excellent thread from which my system has benefited in multiple ways even though I've yet to go down the DIY ground box route.

Speaking of which, this just arrived, finally. I'll be doing a little searching of this thread on the best way to use it, but the internal connectors of my DIY power amp seem as good place to start as any.

20240307_195704.jpg
Oh yes, don’t forget fuses and fuse holder connections. Once you hear what it does, just think or imagine the entire system treated. Better PRaT, more natural/analog presentation, more musical and more resolution. Takes about 72 hours or so to break-in.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #1,458 of 1,637
Simple, all mechanical connections, on both of the mating connection surfaces. Including inside components and non-soldered cables connectors like power cables. Will take you days to a week to treat an entire system. Just remember, clean first with 91% or better alcohol and a “very” light coat. You will thank me later!
Cheers, in this spirit of this thread I started with my new Grey Ghost 4N silver USB grounding cable, then did the same (after listening to the delta) with a new Xangsane pure silver DC cable with gold plated plugs and then again with what looks like the pure silver ground terminal and banana plug of my power conditioner's ground cable.

A couple of super preliminary observations: wow this stuff is impressive - in each case added a lovely delicacy and organic flow, that's what I notice most, and boy does it spread and spread. Trying my best to put it on thin as poss and not to hamfistedly knock the tiny, tippy bottle of literal gold dust over whilst doing so.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #1,459 of 1,637
Cheers, in this spirit of this thread I started with my new Grey Ghost 4N silver USB grounding cable, then did the same (after listening to the delta) with a new Xangsane pure silver DC cable with gold plated plugs and then again with what looks like the pure silver ground terminal and banana plug of my power conditioner's ground cable.

A couple of super preliminary observations: wow this stuff is impressive - in each case added a lovely delicacy and organic flow, that's what I notice most, and boy does it spread and spread. Trying my best to put it on thin as poss and not to hamfistedly knock the tiny, tippy bottle of literal gold dust over whilst doing so.
image.jpg

Use the packing to hold the bottle. Won’t fall over this way.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #1,460 of 1,637
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #1,461 of 1,637

That is a few cables… 3 suggestions:

1) you will forget what has been treated and what has yet to be treated. Write down what you have treated.

2) Shake the bottle vigorously before applying.

3) Apply at sections or parts of the system at a time. Easier to keep track of and assess which connections treated made the most sonic difference.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #1,462 of 1,637
@Jake2 there are many places you can and should apply the Nano Liquid you will not think of. If you make a list of where you have treated and later post the list, I can give you further ideas or guidance.

An example would be a power cable. The obvious is the external mechanical connections such as AC plug contacts and AC receptacle and IEC plug contacts and mating IEC on component. What is not obvious is the power cables conductors and AC plug and IEC plug contacts of the cable itself. This is what Furutech does on their higher end cables and it makes an audible difference.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #1,463 of 1,637
@Jake2 there are many places you can and should apply the Nano Liquid you will not think of. If you make a list of where you have treated and later post the list, I can give you further ideas or guidance.

An example would be a power cable. The obvious is the external mechanical connections such as AC plug contacts and AC receptacle and IEC plug contacts and mating IEC on component. What is not obvious is the power cables conductors and AC plug and IEC plug contacts of the cable itself. This is what Furutech does on their higher end cables and it makes an audible difference.
Cheers, good suggestion to go about it in a structured manner. So many reptacles etc to keep track of as you point out. My initial three were driven more by ease of access for a first taste to be fair - late in the evening accompanied by an APA after a long day.

Couple of qns - does the reddish colour, which I can see is much more subtle when applied very thinly, fade over time or stick around as a visual aid/clue?

And do you systematically coat 100% of a conductor's contact surface(s) area (eg AC plug metal prong, all sides, end to end and side to side as if painting say a rectangular wooden piece, albeit super thinly) or do you partly apply on each surface and rely on mechanical action to spread it further? Based on its consistency I assume the former?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,464 of 1,637
Cheers, good suggestion to go about it in a structured manner. So many reptacles etc to keep track of as you point out. My initial three were driven more by ease of access for a first taste to be fair - late in the evening accompanied by an APA after a long day.

Couple of qns - does the reddish colour, which I can see is much more subtle when applied very thinly, fade over time or stick around as a visual aid/clue?

And do you systematically coat 100% of a conductor's contact surface(s) area (eg AC plug metal prong, all sides, end to end and side to side as if painting say a rectangular wooden piece, albeit super thinly) or do you partly apply on each surface and rely on mechanical action to spread it further? Based on its consistency I assume the former?
Fades a little. Also no need to re-apply unless you connect and disconnect several times. Former, thin and consistent coat.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #1,466 of 1,637
Are there any relatively affordable commercial alternatives to a DIY grounding box? The ones I've seen for sale seem to range from expensive to absurdly expensive.
There are lots of them on AliExpress.

Not sure good or bad they are, maybe others on here have tried them.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! €58.99 20% Off | HiFi Audio GND Amplifier Decoder Speaker Audio Grounding Box Tuning Box Power Purifier Electronic Black Hole Ground Box
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQnbeTR

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,469 of 1,637
There are lots of them on AliExpress.

Not sure good or bad they are, maybe others on here have tried them.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! €58.99 20% Off | HiFi Audio GND Amplifier Decoder Speaker Audio Grounding Box Tuning Box Power Purifier Electronic Black Hole Ground Box
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQnbeTR
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm not sure I would want to be the first person to give a product like that off Aliexpress a try. But if anybody on here vouches for them that would be a great option.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,470 of 1,637
Are there any relatively affordable commercial alternatives to a DIY grounding box? The ones I've seen for sale seem to range from expensive to absurdly expensive.
I got the Quartz Acoustic ones based on a number of positive recommendations on other threads. Not to mention the buyer reviews.They make a big difference to my system especially when used with a better ground cable than the ones they come with, like the ones @cdacosta a recommends or the Grey Ghost silver ones I got last week.

I got the QAs before this DIY ground box thread took off, and in any case materials and even wooden boxes are unavailable down here in the antipodes so I have to import virtually everything which stops being cheap pretty fast .

https://quartzacoustic.com/shop/qa-premium-audio-ground-box-with-crocodile-clip-cable-included/

Edit - added one such review..

These grounding boxes are an exceptional value. I had a chance to bring the Quartz box over to a friend’s house to compare to another grounding box costing 10 times more. We attached it to a Briscati M12 and separately a Signature Rendu.

Not only was it as good as the box costing ten times more but it provided a more solid and deeper bass! The two were very easy to distinguish from each other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back