DIY Ground Box Thread
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,426 of 1,637
For kicks and giggles I removed all of my rochelle salt for ac filtering (invented by @cdacosta) today. Instantaneous collapse of soundstage, diminished detail and micro detail, a big dynamics drop, a flatter and less amusing and engaging sound. This really is a must try tweak for all that didn’t already try it in some way or another. It transforms a good sounding system in a stellar sounding system!
Yep, best bang for the $ tweak I have come across. For best results one must tune (as I have noted before) for individual system and taste. Before I experimented with the concept, I would not of thought our home AC wiring was picking up and collecting EMI/EMF noise the way it does. And how much the collected high frequency noise effects our audio and video systems. And can be addressed for the price of a decent meal.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,427 of 1,637
@Jake2

Is there a particular way of using these things?

20240304_181239.JPG

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #1,428 of 1,637
@Jake2

Is there a particular way of using these things?

I did hardly any googling on the 'how' to use em, just followed my nose by placing em on components, starting with placing em on top of my OCK-2 where they all stayed. Most effect there vs other components: OCK-2 > DAC > power amp IIRC. Suspect the level of surface area contact may be a factor.. with your large oval rather than flat shapes you might want to try some sort of slightly formable/compressible layer between them and your component lids etc to increase the contact area (I'm using fo.Q and graphite sheets). If the vials contain crushed/smaller fragments try both in the vials and directly on lid (yes potentially messy, but give it a go).

There is an really old thread about use of crystals that In sure will have more guidance.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #1,429 of 1,637
I did hardly any googling on the 'how' to use em, just followed my nose by placing em on components, starting with placing em on top of my OCK-2 where they all stayed. Most effect there vs other components: OCK-2 > DAC > power amp IIRC. Suspect the level of surface area contact may be a factor.. with your large oval rather than flat shapes you might want to try some sort of slightly formable/compressible layer between them and your component lids etc to increase the contact area (I'm using fo.Q and graphite sheets). If the vials contain crushed/smaller fragments try both in the vials and directly on lid (yes potentially messy, but give it a go).

There is an really old thread about use of crystals that In sure will have more guidance.
I guess I'll to just test it out in different locations.

Something sounds different though. Not a huge difference but it does sound different.

I haven't changed anything in my setup for a while so I notice when something changes.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #1,430 of 1,637
I guess I'll to just test it out in different locations.

Something sounds different though. Not a huge difference but it does sound different.

I haven't changed anything in my setup for a while so I notice when something changes.
I have experimented with crystals in the past, when they were first a thing in Hi-Fi around late 2008 or so. Like exotic wood, it seemed to me that crystals on top of enclosures and electronic parts change the oscillating frequency of said enclosure or electronic part. This in turn changes what you hear slightly. Used for tuning.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #1,431 of 1,637
I went back and forth many times before finally accepting that having this in the fridge did improve the sound of my system (not the fridge). It's quite subtle, the Rochelle salt and hBN are much more effective when used as directed. Haven't tried those in the fridge yet 🙃

Attachments

• 20240304_170422.jpg
    20240304_170422.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #1,432 of 1,637
I went back and forth many times before finally accepting that having this in the fridge did improve the sound of my system (not the fridge). It's quite subtle, the Rochelle salt and hBN are much more effective when used as directed. Haven't tried those in the fridge yet 🙃
Love it! 😁

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #1,433 of 1,637
What is that? Looks like a small black crystal.

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #1,434 of 1,637
It's a quarz crystal, I have no idea if size, shape etc have any bearing, it's what I had on hand.

With it on a shelf in the refrigerator I can hear better separation/less fuzz in the fine treble details. I was intent on proving it to be hogwash, so much for expectation bias.

Attachments

• 20240304_192102.jpg
    20240304_192102.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #1,435 of 1,637
It's a quarz crystal, I have no idea if size, shape etc have any bearing, it's what I had on hand.

With it on a shelf in the refrigerator I can hear better separation/less fuzz in the fine treble details. I was intent on proving it to be hogwash, so much for expectation bias.
I would have to experience that to believe it. Although I do believe you think you hear a difference. Cannot wrap my mind around how a crystal on a shelf, inside the fridge can effect sonic reproduction of an audio system.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #1,437 of 1,637
5kg of Magnetite arrived.
While I wait for everything else for the ground box I terminated a 4mm sq piece of Van damme speaker cable onto an xlr connector.
I then stripped about a foot of the cable separated some of the copper strands and buried it into the bag of Magnetite, then plugged the xlr into the AES input of my Dac.

This crude test setup is easily worth the cost and surprisingly good already.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,438 of 1,637
This is almost exactly what I share as the simple test/experiment to experience what a passive ground box will offer. In the past I called it a jimmy rigged version. What you are experiencing is about 30%-ish of what a properly built box and cable will provide.

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #1,440 of 1,637
If this is only 30%, I cannot wait to experience the rest.
To be fair I'm not sure if anyone has yet been awarded a 100% rating from @cdacosta , he is a tough marker! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back