DIY Grado SR80i repair
Dec 16, 2009 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

egroji

New Head-Fier
I've had a pair of SR80i headphones now for about 3 months and now the cable for the left ear has become slightly dislodged and I can only hear from the right. If I slightly lift the cable of the left earpiece, the sound comes back (pardon my laymans language, but I am not an audiophile) but only intermittently. I've tried fixing the problem by taping the cable against half an inch of the curvature of the earpiece because I know it works like that, however the tape keeps falling off and the only way for it to work is by holding it against the earpiece with my finger. Very inconvenient.

Anyways, I seem to have misplaced the original receipt/proof of purchase from Stereo Exchange even though I carefully saved the warranty certificate. Apparently, I can't send it in for repair/exchange without both. Is there any DIY way I can fix this problem. Rudimentary analysis has brought me to conclude that the blue cable concealed by the black plastic covering has been either disconnected or slightly damaged (the covering itself has been dislodged, leaving both the red and the blue exposed where they connect to the earpiece). Any ideas? Suggestions?

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 3
if you need any help with the soldering (aka if you don't have tools, or are worried you might screw up), feel free to shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back