DIY electrostatic headphones
Dec 5, 2005 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

~n00beR

100+ Head-Fier
This is in no way my work, this is way beyond my skill level, but there has been a few post recently about DIY headphones, but none of them have been serious contenders.

The headphone diaphram is made of mylar and 2mm thick stators.
The amp generates a differential voltage of 450V!!!! between the stators.

It makes interesting reading, or an original project if someone is willing to take the plunge.

The link is below

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~wradford/esphones.htm

Have fun
600smile.gif

n00beR

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 16
I recall someone showing off some homemade electrostates a while ago. I believe he used saran wrap for the diaphram and window screen for the stators. He had balsawood cups and a rope headband (much like very early 'phones). He said they sounded better than his HD580. I'm trying to comprehend how saran wrap and window screen can produce anything remotely coherent. But maybe there's something I'm missing...

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
I'm trying to comprehend how saran wrap and window screen can produce anything remotely coherent. But maybe there's something I'm missing...

Very, very simple design... a lot of the fidelity of electrostatic drivers isn't dependent on construction quality or materials beyond simple constraints.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Very, very simple design... a lot of the fidelity of electrostatic drivers isn't dependent on construction quality or materials beyond simple constraints.

How is their price justified? Or isn't it?

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Gahh! I've wanted to build ESL phones for a long time. (As a prelude to ESL full-rangers).... but honestly I just don't have the guts for it.

I'm scared of tube amps, so you can imagine how I feel about having 500v on either side of my head! (Though I know, I know they aren't really that dangerous because of the way good bias supplies are built, but still!)

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
I'm scared of tube amps, so you can imagine how I feel about having 500v on either side of my head! (Though I know, I know they aren't really that dangerous because of the way good bias supplies are built, but still!)

500VDC, low current, you're probably at a greater risk of shock while spitting at your wall outlet. Not to mention that there's absolutely no electrical path towards your head...and you're working with the same potential on both sides of your head, there's no reason for the charge to jump across like with ECT (isn't that AC anyway?)

Anyways, it's safe.
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
How is their price justified? Or isn't it?

do the membranes sound diferent with 12psi on them than with 50psi? what about with 1psi?
how about the spacers? what happens if you use a 0.9mm spacer rather than a 1.0mm? how bout if they are diferent thicknesses front and back?
what type of membrane? how thick? how do you make it hold a charge?
what surface area for the whole "driver?"

there are many simple things to change, but what does a change effect? building an "excelent" driver could easily require some serious r&d....

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 16
I recently made some electrostatic phones out of household materials; cardboard, aluminum foil, and Saran-wrap. Aluminum foil was super-glued to some stiff cardboard in order to make the stators. Then holes were drilled through the stators and sanded down in order to make sure it was flat. The "shims" used for making the electrical connections were made from aluminum foil folded over several times and cut to a small size. The diaphragm was made from Saran-wrap tensioned by stretching it over a dinner plate and taping it to the back. The spacers were made from the plastic cover of a 3-ring binder, which is where the stiff carboard also came from. I used some packing foam for the earcups and for some dampening on the back. I'm using a Realistic HP-100 energizer that I bought off of Ebay for the step-up transformers and bias supply. Interestingly, the headphones work with or without the bias supply.

The headphones look dumb, but they sound surprisingly good. Here's a pic of the transducers...

electrostatic015ji.jpg

Dec 13, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 16
Dont you just love it when people start inovatng
icon10.gif

A few more people doing this and we could have a new :diycardboardelectrostaticheadphone: smilie

Keep us updated with you progress tyre, good work
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
The headphones look dumb, but they sound surprisingly good. Here's a pic of the transducers...

What do they actually sound like? I find this extremely fascinating and would like to know more. Maybe I am hoping for too much.

Thanks
-John

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 16
I do hope you don't hold thoes up to your ears with 450V exposed like that
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back