DIY electrostatic headphones
Dec 14, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
What do they actually sound like? I find this extremely fascinating and would like to know more. Maybe I am hoping for too much.

I'm not particularly good at describing the sound of headphones, but I'd say they sound pretty good, comparable to a pair of decent dynamic headphones except with less bass and more forward mids. If I play bass heavy music with any kind of volume though, then the diaphragm hits against the stators.

This is the second time I've attempted to make electrostatic transducers. I have a few pics of the first attempt, which were round shaped in order to fit inside the case of some old dynamic headphones, but they didn't work as well. I can post pics of those if you're interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I do hope you don't hold thoes up to your ears with 450V exposed like that

Yep, I'm careful to just touch the cardboard portions though
smily_headphones1.gif
. I later hot-glued a cardboard frame (not shown in the picture) around the tranducers that the foam earpads stick to and it insulates from any potential electrical shock. Besides, the voltage between the stators, at least from what I measure on my DMM, is less than 150V at normal listening volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back