DIY Earbuds
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #2,866 of 4,738
@furyossa

The Bery is the black one.

I will double-check the cover placement.
By the way, should I glue the shells?

Two dabs of glue on the back lip of the shell will do. Don't need alot when you plan to fix it. Just make sure it doesn't stick to the drivers too much, only the faceplate lips.

Make sure you don't forget something you need done when gluing in place, like putting additional damping, tuning foam, etc...

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #2,867 of 4,738
Just a bit of advice, e very careful when soldering the 19-21 drivers, seems the black tar/glue they use to secure the pcb isn't very strong, heat resistant, or simply not glue right, I had gotten them soldered, taken a couple pictures and started finished leaving feedback for them, and one simply falls apart as I closed the shell ae_1610825254679.jpg
This pic was just before closing

This next one is right after closingae_1610826790483.jpg

I hadn't even started tuning and it broke, not a good sign....

In general sound wasn't bad, kind of v shaped, good bass and highs, mids are a little more relaxed
Good warm, smooth sound
At least nsc is kind enough to send replacement for cost of shipping, i know once I soldered it they didn't need to, but they seem to be a very honest seller, never had issues with them. Once again the wait begins....

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #2,868 of 4,738
Has anyone found any new drivers? Besides the extremely overpriced 19-21 Bery or bio from chitty's? I have noticed they have some cool stuff, but there prices are simply terrible, they charge 30 something for the 130 6pack, it's double priced for no reason.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #2,869 of 4,738
Just a bit of advice, e very careful when soldering the 19-21 drivers, seems the black tar/glue they use to secure the pcb isn't very strong, heat resistant, or simply not glue right, I had gotten them soldered, taken a couple pictures and started finished leaving feedback for them, and one simply falls apart as I closed the shellae_1610825254679.jpg
This pic was just before closing

This next one is right after closingae_1610826790483.jpg

I hadn't even started tuning and it broke, not a good sign....

In general sound wasn't bad, kind of v shaped, good bass and highs, mids are a little more relaxed
Good warm, smooth sound
At least nsc is kind enough to send replacement for cost of shipping, i know once I soldered it they didn't need to, but they seem to be a very honest seller, never had issues with them. Once again the wait begins....
Man, that sucks. I seem to notice that kind of epoxy used on the 19-21s I've collected for the past months which seems to be melted easily with the heat of the soldering iron, so I didn't take any chances and soldering them didn't took longer than 3 seconds.

I've also noticed that the drivers distort in the bass region when driven by more than 70+ on the volume of my Meizu DAC. I know it's sensitive and I changed the faceplates but, they're notoriously hard to tinker with. Those Foster type drivers are really finicky, but their sound is worth it to me so I can tolerate a bit of its problems 😅

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,870 of 4,738
Has anyone found any new drivers? Besides the extremely overpriced 19-21 Bery or bio from chitty's? I have noticed they have some cool stuff, but there prices are simply terrible, they charge 30 something for the 130 6pack, it's double priced for no reason.
Also, I've seen a shopee listing on a composite version of the 19-21 red dot, 5 usd here, more or less the same price when I bought the black dot, much more expensive than the pink dot though.
The cone is beryllium coated. Basically there's two variants of the red dot now, being this and the pink dot. Gotta collect them all man....

Indonesian sellers have alot of strange and rare drivers, from Foster variants like these to weird Cresyn PKs and the famous Red Film ones.
Shopee_5825fa3bd97d843ba89a66f0d47968d0.jpg

Shopee_2fca118971688941fe26912c677e0874.jpg

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,871 of 4,738
@furyossa

The Bery is the black one.

I will double-check the cover placement.
By the way, should I glue the shells?
@captione gave you great advice on glue.
I don’t practice gluing MX500 shells. I only use glue for some metal shells or double-sided adhesive tape in case I tune them

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #2,872 of 4,738
I've been looking at the last two days to see if there's anything new, but when it comes to DIY drivers or new budget buds models,
there is literally nothing new as if time has stopped

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #2,873 of 4,738
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #2,875 of 4,738
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #2,876 of 4,738
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #2,877 of 4,738
Jan 19, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,878 of 4,738
Has anyone found any new drivers?
I ordered these 300 ohms from the Ghxamp seller. It is written deliciously, it is a pity that it does not always correspond to reality. He said that their sound profile is similar to the 150 ohms I bought from him earlier and wrote about it here. The 150 ohm is very flat, clean and detailed, some of my favorites. In the same place, on your recommendation, I ordered 400 ohms. Now the package is at the transit airport (Warsaw). In about a week.

Still out of pure curiosity, I looked at these drivers. I saw reviews on them only in some Indonesian store. But I didn't buy it). Perhaps someone has already dealt with these drivers.

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #2,879 of 4,738
Still out of pure curiosity, I looked at these drivers. I saw reviews on them only in some Indonesian store. But I didn't buy it). Perhaps someone has already dealt with these drivers.
These are older driver models and have been on my wish list for a long time. I honestly don’t know what they sound but 2 pairs for $8 ...hmmm...I don’t think it’s a big risk to pull the trigger
Such offers with 2-5 pairs are great for DIY. It often happened to me with cheap drivers to buy one pair and then one driver is not work. And then the waiting starts again:smirk:

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,880 of 4,738
I ordered these 300 ohms from the Ghxamp seller. It is written deliciously, it is a pity that it does not always correspond to reality. He said that their sound profile is similar to the 150 ohms I bought from him earlier and wrote about it here. The 150 ohm is very flat, clean and detailed, some of my favorites. In the same place, on your recommendation, I ordered 400 ohms. Now the package is at the transit airport (Warsaw). In about a week.

Those 300 ohms looks awfully similar to the 150ohms "bass" drivers with a full horseshoe foam. I'm pretty sure that the 300ohms I've seen sports the same layout of the drivers except it uses a white epoxy and a full horseshoe foam. There's also a "vocal" version of the 150ohms which uses a thin cotton horseshoe and also sports a white epoxy compared to the 150ohm "bass" version's blue epoxy, as the sellers would call it.

On the other old drivers, I heard it was made by Cresyn on other Indonesian sellers. Fengru (CKLewis) and Girftu (Jietu) sells em here on Shopee for 2 pairs at 5 bucks. Pretty bad sound ootb, needs more tinkering as far as seeing my local audio discussion group's impressions about it. They're notoriously easy to break too (that's why they sell it as two pairs). They're cheap though, so there's that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back