DIY ear molds/impressions??
Mar 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bik2101

1000+ Head-Fier
anyone try this? or know about whether this would work? i've called a few audiologists around me and prices are pretty hihg for getting ear impressions made (almost 100 per ear). i reallty want to get my tf10's reshelled, but can't do it if its going to be that expensive. i came across this site selling DIY ear impression kit and wondering if i should just use this
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/doearcaimkit.html

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd say go with an audiologist. $100 per ear is ridiculously high. Within a 4-mile radius, I've found audiologists that charge from $80 per ear to $30 for both ears. I'd just keep calling and hope you find one that isn't overpriced.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I'd say go with an audiologist. $100 per ear is ridiculously high. Within a 4-mile radius, I've found audiologists that charge from $80 per ear to $30 for both ears. I'd just keep calling and hope you find one that isn't overpriced.

i'll have to agree with this.
I had no idea I had very sensitive ear canals til I went to take my ear impressions; it was quite painful as I was taking impressions on 1 ear.
You might wanna go and check out any issues you don't know you may have.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 5
I am strongly anti-DIY when it comes to impressions. While I know there are HFers who have tried it and succeeded, it is IMHO a shortsighted and potentially dangerous practice.

I don't see much DIY dentistry or optometry out there. I remain amazed that people who love audio would literally risk their ears to save a few bucks.

bik201 -- The price quoted is indeed excessive. Please post your general location; maybe someone can suggest an alternative in your area. Here's a list of IEM-friendly audiologists:

http://www.sensaphonics.com/audiologist.html

Good luck!

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:

I do agree that $100 per ear is extremely highly & outrageous.

Last week I had went to an audiologist in NYC to get ear impressions made for my Future Sonics Atrios. I looked up the audiologists that Future Sonics suggested on their website and asked called up a several and asked them how much do they charge for ear impressions. The prices they quoted me ranged from $50, $85, $100 for both ears. I found two of them that charged $50 and choose the closest one to my home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back