DIY DAC/Amp
Jun 21, 2009 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yunaforever009

Head-Fier
I have been trying to find some good schematics for a USB or portable DAC/Amp combo and have been rather unsuccessful. The only arrows I am finding using search lead towards separate DAC and Amp devices or a reference to Meiers portable amp using the extended kit...

Are there any websites that would offer some info or some resources on the combining of these two devices?

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 11
Not sure if I know if any amp and DAC combinations, well, except the now discontinued HPDac. What you can do is simply build a DAC and an amp and stick them in the same enclosure.
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 11
Along the line of FallenAngels post there is this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/usb...lifier-387745/ It is an excellent design that combines the Mini3 by amb, the Bantam DAC by Cetoole, and a DC-DC power supply that runs from the USB supply.
It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it should give you some good ideas.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 11
You can make these "portable" so long as you think the Headroom microstack is portable. Otherwise, stick with finished products for truly portable usb dac/amps. Considering that most of the usb dac/amps (I think maybe all of the ones I've seen) use multi layer boards, you'll be hard pressed to find a diy version. You could theoretically make your own stuff, and if you have the drive to do it you can always put together the gamma 1 lite + the psu mentioned above + any amp in a dual layer board, get a board printed and go from there.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering that most of the usb dac/amps (I think maybe all of the ones I've seen) use multi layer boards, you'll be hard pressed to find a diy version.

The vast majority of the designs here are multilayer. The main problem is power; unless you want to use a headphone driver chip, which aren't considered to be that good, you need higher voltage than USB can supply. Also, you ideally want a split supply. This means either switching supplies, run off the USB power, or an external adaptor.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could do the dual usb option like some external driives use

Sorry, should have been clearer. The problem isn't the current supplied (this is the problem for external hard drives), it's the voltage.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 11
My desktop combo is going to be a y1 DAC from AMB and the CTH. The CTH is on the bench now and I am still saving my pennies for the Mouser order for the rest of the y1. They are both small but require wall power.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My desktop combo is going to be a y1 DAC from AMB and the CTH. The CTH is on the bench now and I am still saving my pennies for the Mouser order for the rest of the y1. They are both small but require wall power.

Not necessarily "best", but definitely good.
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily "best", but definitely good.
wink.gif

Thanks! With two in college and HS senior on his way to college
smily_headphones1.gif
, best is beyond my wallet's ability for a good while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back