DIY Custom Tips?
Dec 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
I was about to get some ACS Custom Molded sleeves for my Triple.Fi 10s when I stumbled upon someone using Radians Custom Mold Earplug kit to make custom-molded iem tips. For the simple fact that I can get them for only $10 and may give me the comfort and isolation I want (stock tips didn't fit, Comply's were uncomfortable, and Sony Hybrids take all day to get a good seal that will stick), they seem like a great investment. Can anyone that has tried this DIY on ANY iem tell me how they compare to stock tips or complys? Thanks!

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 10
The question about these earplugs is how to protect my $120 HF5s while I stick them into the mixture before it sets (very this celephane wrap, maybe?), how deep to insert the HF5 nozzle, etc.  I'm assuming these earplugs are supple enough that you could drill/cut/open a hole thru the tube portion going into the ear canal to allow sound into the ear canal.

For only $10, it would be worth trying a kit or 2 to see how well it would work. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 10
I did read on here that afterwards the earphones are easy to separate from the mould. Also, I doubt they would make a kit that damages the earphones, and I am sure there is instructions in the box on how not to damage the phones.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 10
This was the most recent thread involving the radians and I just finished making a pair of new tips for my RE0. I've got to say they are a ton more comfy to the point that I'm paranoid that they aren't making a proper seal. No change in sound signature either. Sounds pretty much stock except for much better comfort.

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
This was the most recent thread involving the radians and I just finished making a pair of new tips for my RE0. I've got to say they are a ton more comfy to the point that I'm paranoid that they aren't making a proper seal. No change in sound signature either. Sounds pretty much stock except for much better comfort.

Good to hear that their working out for you, do you notice a difference in isolation? It sounds like a fun way to blow ten bucks, would you say that it could be easily cut away from a headphone if the headphone was encased in it? If it doesn't stick too much I will go ahead and plaster my SM3's in this stuff and call them customs, it'd be cool to hear what you think of the idea.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 10
The stuff is pretty easy to cut. I ended up making tips and not encasing my headphones in the stuff because the re-0 has two back ports. I ended up just making the molds and then cutting them to fit as tips.

As for performance, my left ear mold didn't go deep enough so the seal isn't perfect on one side. It still does a lot of isolation if I get it right. I used to use biflanges so I got pretty good isolation already. The two are comprable in terms of isolation, but the radians are much more comfortable.

I'm probably going to buy another set of the putty to make deeper molds. It's definitely worth buying these for cheap customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back