DIY custom moulds
May 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #32 of 89
Well I was going to try this tell I read delladood's post and it made a lot of sense.

May 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #33 of 89
I don't know now, after watching that Collin's lab video it looks pretty safe with the type of ear molding kit he used.  Its not like it was runny or anything it was more like soft clay.  

Yeah I'm gonna to try it with a less expensive pair first and if that works then I'll move up the ladder.

May 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #34 of 89
Quote:
The risk is just far too great.  The comply foam tips do a well enough job that I don't want to even risk it even if there is a 1 percent change of ruining.  I am only 27 years old, I have my whole LIFE ahead of me.

yeah I agree man!

May 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #35 of 89
Quote:
I don't know now, after watching that Collin's lab video it looks pretty safe with the type of ear molding kit he used.  Its not like it was runny or anything it was more like soft clay.  

Yeah I'm gonna to try it with a less expensive pair first and if that works then I'll move up the ladder.

no... omg dont use the radian stuff.  During shipping of radian silicone, if it reaches above a certain temperature, the materials will just all quit working.  Trust me!!!! Don't act like you know what is safe and what is not.  I have the radian stuff next to me right now... How about I copy and paste some reviews for you on the radian molds:)

"f[size=small]ollowed the instructions, even watched a Youtube video produced by the manufacturer. Had them in my ear for over 45 minutes and they never firmed up. Took me an hour to clean my ear canals out. This is a dangerous product that simply doesn't work."[/size]

[size=small]"[/size][size=small]After religiously following the instructions, the mold never firmed up. Even after and hour, even after a day. Threw it away. Worthless."[/size]

"[size=small]So I followed the instructions to the letter. Stuck the stuff in my ear, and waited 10 minutes. Still just as runny as when mixed.[/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I waited another half an hour. Nothing.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]At this point, I just wanted the crap out of my ears. Guess what:[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Stuck. The putty got stuck in my ears. Not only stuck, but when you mix this stuff, you'll see is really a runny goo. So guess where it ran? To my ear drum. I have an appointment with an ENT for tomorrow to try to clear my clogged ear. This stuff is GARBAGE.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Let me reiterate: DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT. I have an email in to Radians, and I plan on sending them the receipt from my ENT visit. I'll follow up with what they do, but I will NEVER use a product from them again. Let's see how they do as a company, now."[/size]

[size=small]"[/size]I too have the same problem. Urgent care couldnt get it out. The ER was unsucessful. Now it is still in there and will require surgery to remove it. Only because I have tubes in my ears that are now plugged with pink goo. The pain from having ones eardrum scraped on is not nice. Plz update on how your ENT appt. when."

"[size=small]Terrible product!!! I followed the instructions to the letter and it never solidified in my ear. It ended up seeping further into my ear and I was unable to fully remove it because it had gone so far into my ear canal. I had to have a Doctor remove the rest of it. Now 2 months later I still had a piece of it work its way out of my ear. I wish I had seen these reviews before I bought the product."[/size]

[size=small]"[/size][size=small]I bought two packages, just in case I mess up the first one.[/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Well, I followed the instructions to the letter, put them into my ears, waited 10 minutes, tried to remove the molds just to notice they didn't cure at all.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]So I waited more... over an hour I waited... and nothing![/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The molds didn't cure![/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The horror when I saw that there was no way to remove them![/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Part of the mold was left in my ear canal![/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Went to a doctor, paid 100 USD for the visit.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Fast forward a couple of months.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I found the second package and thought, hey, maybe the first one was bad, this one might work.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Bad idea![/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]As I am writing this, I have a part of the mold in my ear. It never cured![/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]It's right in front of me on my desk and there is no way it's going to cure, ever.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Wrote to the Radians, never got any response.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I'm off to a doctor, again.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]DO NOT BUY THESE!"[/size]

[size=small]Go ahead and use them tho guys:D[/size]
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #36 of 89
Wow, I really appreciate all the help and the reviews you posted.  Its not worth the risk off damaging my hearing with a hit or miss product.

May 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #37 of 89
Quote:
Wow, I really appreciate all the help and the reviews you posted.  Its not worth the risk off damaging my hearing with a hit or miss product.

precisely....  These companies are very sketchy.  It's best to bite the bullet, go to the audiologist, and just buy customs.

May 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #38 of 89
Hearing is 10x > $150 it costs to get a custom IEM.  They also look tons better and will probably last many years longer.  I am sick of cheaping out on everything.  And when it comes to ruining my hearing, I can't cheap out on it.  I still think high performance audio like the RE262 is still greater than a $2000 IEM.

May 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #39 of 89
Quote:
Hearing is 10x > $150 it costs to get a custom IEM.  They also look tons better and will probably last many years longer.  I am sick of cheaping out on everything.  And when it comes to ruining my hearing, I can't cheap out on it.  I still think high performance audio like the RE262 is still greater than a $2000 IEM.

definitely! get the 272!???!

May 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #43 of 89
Ok, if you do get a hold of some higher quality stuff, I don't see any harm in using your common sense and being thorough and do the impressions on your own. But if it doesn't cure, then it's a totally different story. Thanks for letting us know. I certainly won't buy anything from them. Ever. However, hearing your baby cry isn't all that great :wink: you get tired of it after a while. Missing out on the first word however, that would be a real bummer. Or missing out on all the sweet tunes, or follow the evolution of IEMs. Dammit, should've asked for some high quality putty when I was on my ENT placement during med school.

May 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #44 of 89
Quote:
Ok, if you do get a hold of some higher quality stuff, I don't see any harm in using your common sense and being thorough and do the impressions on your own. But if it doesn't cure, then it's a totally different story. Thanks for letting us know. I certainly won't buy anything from them. Ever. However, hearing your baby cry isn't all that great :wink: you get tired of it after a while. Missing out on the first word however, that would be a real bummer. Or missing out on all the sweet tunes, or follow the evolution of IEMs. Dammit, should've asked for some high quality putty when I was on my ENT placement during med school.

your in medical school right now.... I don't know how you have time to be on the internet LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back