DIY custom moulds
Mar 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 89

Quote:
Alright! Just one more question though, are mistakes easily amenable? I don't want to ruin anything!

yep, if its not right just tear the mould apart with your fingers and start again with some fresh putty. $25 of putty makes about 30 moulds (15 per ear)

May 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #19 of 89
Quote:
How do you color these to your liking?  Is the putty come in the ugly brown color or what?  How did yours get black?  Did you take the shell off and just put the speaker in, or use the whole thing like the guy did?

putty comes in several colors depending on which product you use, i just encapsulated the whole thing, i dont have the tiny hands and skills required to mess with whats inside. 

May 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #20 of 89
I'm planing on getting the same iems you used for sleeping and what not. Hows the isolation on them? Hows the comfort if im using them laying on my side? I'll also be doing this as well to them. :)

May 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #21 of 89
Guys PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.  The risk you run damaging your ear is very great.  there is no otto block to keep the substance from running to your ear drum.  I can't even begin to tell you how many cases I have seen and heard where a patient comes to the ENT or Audiologist and they have to explain they did a "DIY Custom Mold" or a "DIY ear impression."   When the silicone substance fails to cure(which it does quite often,) it will seep to your ear drum, and will actually fuse to your ear drum.  Enjoy your trip to your local ENT Surgeon to get your ear operated on.  Don't do this. I beg all of you... Do not do this.  That putty is not meant to be a complete mold.  It is merely guidelines to pour the acrylic/plastic substance in.  I use it to make my IEM, and it infact, the same exact box is sitting next to me right now. Please refrain from doing so.

EDIT: If you do decide to do this(which I do not advise) Do not push deeply the substance deeply into the canal.  If begin to feel pain from the curing process, do not instantly rip the silicone out(or you will have a chance of a lifetime to see your eardrum in your hand.)  Lift up on the ear, and lightly move to see if it is attached to the inner ear.  If it is.  Leave it there, and get your arse to the emergency room.

May 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 89
Quote:
well how comes many people already did this without trouble?  i thought about it and it does seem risky, but how comes so many people have done it already?

just because people do it, doesn't mean it is intelligent.  I can definitely tell you that they got lucky. but if one thing, ONE THING, goes wrong, kiss your hearing goodbye.

May 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #27 of 89
Quote:
Yeah, I guess doing this really isn't worth the risk.  I will just use the putty to make some indentations of my butt.

thank you so much for heeding my warnings! It really isnt worth it! I don't mean to ruin fun... but gosh its dangerous!  HAHAHAHAH Do it!

May 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #28 of 89
If you do make an impression of your ear canals. Do it with great caution. Measure up hos much you will need. Don't take too much and try to force it into your canal. Settle with a more shallow fit rather than go for the deepest possible. Also, it helps to know how long your ear canals are. They will probably be longer than you expect but it's nice to know. When you push the mold into the ear, gently pull your ear down and out from your head or up and out from your head to avoid any baro trauma to your eardrum. Putting too much pressure on it can have the same effect as diving too deep - seriously harm your hearing from 2-3kHz and up. (Wouldn't want that huh?) But if you follow these simple tips. I don't see any harm in trying. You should not feel any pressure when pushing the putty in. Not more than you usually do with IEMs. The best thing would be to ask a friend with steady hands and good judgement to help you out.

Of course I like to think that audiophiles have a deeper understanding of the human ear anatomy than regular (sane) people. But I'm certainly going to try this. You could try it with some adhesive... umm. Clay? Mass? Don't know what it's called in English. But the stuff you can put posters up with. Kind of blue/gray/greenish. To know the amount it takes before spending your dear silicone putty.

Good luck and have fun but be careful.

May 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #29 of 89
I'm not an audiophile.  I'm in audiology undergrad... and I've done some research.... lol. Audiologist:Hearing and Speech Disorders  Do as you wish my friend.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #30 of 89
The risk is just far too great.  The comply foam tips do a well enough job that I don't want to even risk it even if there is a 1 percent change of ruining.  I am only 27 years old, I have my whole LIFE ahead of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back