DIY Clips on !
Jan 11, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 24
Interesting...
Hey couldn't you disect the porta-pro mount...

image12objectif5iw.jpg

Just cut off that part in the red circle, but leave enough of the surrounding plastic so you can mount it onto the ear hook? Some plastic epoxy would easily adhere, or you could use a couple small 2-56 screws.

?????

Garrett

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Interesting...
Hey couldn't you disect the porta-pro mount...

image12objectif5iw.jpg

Just cut off that part in the red circle, but leave enough of the surrounding plastic so you can mount it onto the ear hook? Some plastic epoxy would easily adhere, or you could use a couple small 2-56 screws.

?????

Garrett

I could say Yes, but I will say no... because I would like to be able to use them when I'll have fixed the jacks. PortaPro is more expensive than on Koss.com... and I'm hard to injure it... But this is a good idea !

Edit : Something curious... Three of my photos disappeared. Do you think it could be a modo who disabled them ?... Otherwise I can bring them back.
confused.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #19 of 24
hmm now that i see a close look of the drivers... that peice that sticks out in the center so the prongs of the headphone band can attatch to it.. is there a hole though it? or can yuo PUT a hole though it? i dont htink it would damage its ability to attatch bac onto the headband if you did... but i dont know, ive never seen a porta pro in real life... but maybe this will work? perhaps you can take a coat hanger and wrap it around and comform it to the drivers ridges and such so it wont wiggl around, and if you string it though the middle it wont come off.

design.jpg

I tried to imply some 3 dimensionality into the wire but you can only do so much with paint..

Once a while ago when i had behind the neck headphones htat came with my CD player and i accidentally snapped the band. i was sad. instead of buying new ones (Im a DIY type of person even though its not worh the effort) i made a behind the ear band out of a coathanger that i sanded down and bent it in a way so that i can attatch the drivers easily and it worked :p. Im only in highscool so i have to think of simple things like this...

DSC00133.jpg

just trying too show its amazing (not really) what can be done witha coathanger lying aroudn the house...

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #21 of 24
cheap panasonic ones that came with my CD player :p i have no idea... they just say panasonic on them (thats all). sorry its kinda blurry i havent mastered the digital camera yet and i couldnt get it to focus that close...

DSC00138.jpg

and now that i htink of the earclip design some more... it would be hard to get a wire underneath that thing in the middle and hard to get it out... so just make a clamp out of the coat hanger too so now its totally removable easily :p at least it should clamp better than fimo would (i actually dont know but fimo cant be tougher than metal). and if there really is a hole in that... ridge? you can bend the bottom of the metal clamp in a little bit so it can snap in and clamp pretty well. so not only does it wrap around the driver middly circular thing, up and over that triangular wedge like thing the headphone wire comes out of, and back down, back underneath itself, but its clamped int he middle... this thing wont come off unless you pull it pretty hard. and also you dont have to worry about whether adding all that fimo mass to the headphoens will change the sound or not. its also really hard to draw with a mouse...

clamp.jpg

now i REALLY wish i had a portapro to try this out on!!
frown.gif
its times like these i wish i had enough money to spend on a whim..

*EDIT* oops wrong picture...

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcwoo
cheap panasonic ones that came with my CD player :p i have no idea... they just say panasonic on them (thats all). sorry its kinda blurry i havent mastered the digital camera yet and i couldnt get it to focus that close...

now i REALLY wish i had a portapro to try this out on!!
frown.gif
its times like these i wish i had enough money to spend on a whim..

*EDIT* oops wrong picture...

Not to get to far off topic... try setting your digi-cam to the Macro setting. it allows a much shorter focal length for close up pics. My Nikon has a little flower symbol for its macro setting. Comes in handy for how-to and DIY forums.

Garrett

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #23 of 24
What is fimo-soft?

Is it a dental compound?... the rubber/plastic stuff dentists use to make dental impressions?

When I was an engineer at Toyota we would use Colto-flax (dental compound) to measure sheetmetal curves and contours on body panels. The stuff was mint flavored and you could tell who was taking measurenments in the QC lab by the minty fresh smell in the air.

Curious....
Garrett

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcwoo
is there a hole though it? or can yuo PUT a hole though it?

There is no hole. And in fact, if you do a hole, you disable the possibility to attach them to the original head band. This is why I tried to use a mould.
Just see :
Image4speaker2.jpg

A thin little thing (on both sides) that clip in the head band.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
What is fimo-soft?

Is it a dental compound?... the rubber/plastic stuff dentists use to make dental impressions?

Here is the composition :
"Contents : PVC and plastisizer (phtahlic acid esters of straight chain-aliphatic (C6-upwards) alcohols)."
What a team, huh !

Quote:

is the fimo soft really strong enough though?

It seems to be harder than Portapro's plastic, but less flexible than the portapro's. I can say that it seems to be hard, but don't insist to much on it or you will break it. However I think it can hold on a very long time for what I want to use it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back