DIY Clips on !
Jan 5, 2005 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Ko Nectic Jazz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody !

I need some help. I'm looking for photos, sketchs, every possible informations to build clips on by myself for my Porta pro drivers !

Photos, Sketches, advises, experiences with them, everything you can !
icon10.gif

I'll do photos of my work as soon as possible too !

Thank you !

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 24
Build clips for Koss drivers? Why not just buy a set of KSC-75's for $15 and enjoy them? I can't imagine building an earclip as comfortable and durable as the ones Koss makes on their KSC-35 and -75 earphones.

-Keith

Jan 5, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 24
I already have 2 Porta pro. I have to repair the jack of one of them.
Now i need a smaller headphone than the porta pro or my QC2.
As I have some materials to do it, I want to try it before spending more money.
Moreover, I'm leaving in France, and they don't sale KSC75 in my country !!
I have to buy it on Koss where they cost 20$.
Regarding to the price, I can do better with my DIY...

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
I already have 2 Porta pro. I have to repair the jack of one of them.
Now i need a smaller headphone than the porta pro or my QC2.
As I have some materials to do it, I want to try it before spending more money.
Moreover, I'm leaving in France, and they don't sale KSC75 in my country !!
I have to buy it on Koss where they cost 20$.
Regarding to the price, I can do better with my DIY...

IMHO it would be difficult and cost more than $20 to do it so it looked decent. If you dont mind walking around with duct tape and epoxy hanging off your ears you probably could pull it off for under $15. The metal ear hook would be the easy part. Bend some music-wire and stretch some surgical tubing around it. The hard part is the ball/socket joint that holds the driver. IMHO a big part of why the KSC75 sounds so good and fits so comfey is the pivot joint it snaps into. Its flexible enough to contour to the ear, but no so loose fitting that you loose bass response. If you had access to a machine shop you could machine some delrin to size and try and replicate the KSC75 socket joint. But shop time alone would put you WELL over the limit.

IMHO an easier solution would be behind the neck street-style like the KSC55

Cost of materials (approx, US):
music wire = $1
Delrin stock = $5
Surgical tubing = $2
Epoxy = $5

IMHO its not worth the effort. My brother got my KSCs at J/R music world for under $20.

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 24
I wasn't thinking about doing a KSC 75 clips on style, with the metalic hook... I thought more about a KSC 35 style, with a soft PVC material as Fimo Soft from Eberhard Faber : easy to module, then you pass it in the oven. Of course it would be removable clips on ; I would not cook my PortaPro
600smile.gif
!!

But this is true that KSC 75 looks like very good.
However, why are you talking about 15$ ? I wish it would cost this and I would order them just right now ! But they are 20 $, plus the shipping...
frown.gif

Edit : Oh yeah ! I was just wondering !

On Koss site, I see "SRP" before the price. What does that mean ? (I'm french, sorry !
tongue.gif
)

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
I wasn't thinking about doing a KSC 75 clips on style, with the metalic hook... I thought more about a KSC 35 style, with a soft PVC material as Fimo Soft from Eberhard Faber : easy to module, then you pass it in the oven. Of course it would be removable clips on ; I would not cook my PortaPro
600smile.gif
!!

But this is true that KSC 75 looks like very good.
However, why are you talking about 15$ ? I wish it would cost this and I would order them just right now ! But they are 20 $, plus the shipping...
frown.gif

Edit : Oh yeah ! I was just wondering !

On Koss site, I see "SRP" before the price. What does that mean ? (I'm french, sorry !
tongue.gif
)

the $15 I mentioned is the approximate cost of the raw materials to custom fabricate a KSC75, using music wire, epoxy, rubber and machine it from Delrin (I think Delrin is a dupont registered material. I think the generic term for it is Acetal)

Ive never worked with Fimo Soft... I say what the heck go for it and let us know how it went. Sounds like youre already familiar with the material and have already given it some thought.

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 24
http://nextire.hp.infoseek.co.jp/hea...a_armless.html

hehe.. probably not exactly what your looking for... you probably meant to turn only the drivers into clip ons rather than the actual headphone. if you dont mind mutilating your portapros like that *wince* you can play around with that design and attatch the wire lower/close to the phone so it has a more roundish and sleek look? i dont know.

i cant read japanese either so i dont know what the heck they are saying throughout the page.

I think the ksc 75s look REALLY ugly... thats the only thing keeping me from buying it online (harder to return). So im interested in a DIY earclip design too that i can maybe use with the KTX pro 1 drivers that i can just buy at radio shack or something.

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcwoo

hehe.. probably not exactly what your looking for... you probably meant to turn only the drivers into clip ons rather than the actual headphone. if you dont mind mutilating your portapros like that *wince* you can play around with that design and attatch the wire lower/close to the phone so it has a more roundish and sleek look? i dont know.

i cant read japanese either so i dont know what the heck they are saying throughout the page.

I think the ksc 75s look REALLY ugly... thats the only thing keeping me from buying it online (harder to return). So im interested in a DIY earclip design too that i can maybe use with the KTX pro 1 drivers that i can just buy at radio shack or something.

I thought I was the only one!! I thought about painting my KSCs black....

The radio controlled car forum I frequent... There is a Korean guy who casts his own little parts custom for his cars/trucks... His machine work is amazing, but his www site is in Korean :~( . I say go for it !! Never under-estimate the abilities of the DIY junkie.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcwoo

Wa ! Poor PortaPro... I won't injure him this way for sure !
580smile.gif

But the form of his metalic hook is interesting ! Good model ! Thanks for the link, it gives me an idea. I'll try something with a metalic hook and some Fimo Soft around it to re-enforce it. And it will maintain the form once in the oven. Good idea.

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 24
Here I'm back, with some news !
biggrin.gif

Outils.png

My tools :
1.Koss PortaPro a) Drivers b) Head band
2.Chinese engraving knifes
3.Fimo Soft by Eberhard Faber, color=Black
4.Aluminium Foil, when I take Fimo in the oven.
5.Chinese sticks to take out the hot Fimo
biggrin.gif

6.And... my phone as camera.

First I wanted to make a mould
image119fk.jpg

to try to build this
image12objectif5iw.jpg

It was to hazardous to try to build it with the speaker :
image13tentative1yb.jpg

When I saw the first result, I wasn't really encouraged by it...
image15resultat18vf.jpg
hmm.gif

But after some work on it with chinese knifes, it was much better !
image2resultat29ag.jpg
biggrin.gif

After that, I think I'll try use the system that we can see on this page,
thanks to timcwoo
wink.gif
, to hold them on ears. But I'm still looking for the metalic sticks.
I'll tell you if there is any news. See you all later !
600smile.gif

Tips : the long part I added to the piece that hold speakers, should be at 45° according to the horizontal position of the speaker. They all do it this way in all the other brands I saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back