DIY case out of epoxy putty, hotglue, or heatshrink?
Mar 15, 2010 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been wanting to convert my bantam dac, which is in a standard configuration (mini b jack in the middle of the board) into a bantam cable dac. However, I don't want to use a little plastic box if I don't have to. What kind of heat dissipation does it need? Could I mold epoxy putty around the whole thing? Coat the entire thing with hotglue? Buy some big heatshrink(Headphonia USB Dac does this)? I'd say polymer clay as well, but I don't know if the Dac can withstand 275F for 15-20minutes.

On a side note, if I want to shield my plastic hobby boxes a little bit from interference would lining it with tin foil actually help? I seem to be getting a tiny bit more noise from my DAC now that it hangs down below my desk, closer to my computer and all the power cords.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 16
A plastic box sounds like it would look and work better than coating it. Plus you can do maintenance if need be.

You could line it with foil, and connect the foil to the shield of the usb cable.

Or you could use an aluminum box and do away with foil altogether.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 16
Just do the little box then epoxy around the ends of the box to get it the shape you want.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 16
yeah, i didn't think it would be a good idea which is why i checked
smily_headphones1.gif
i get too lost trying to be creative or different sometimes.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WAT.

Woke up this morning still giggling from this response
bigsmile_face.gif

A small box would be a better idea... If anything ever goes belly up you can repair it without dissecting a ball of hot glue.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Aluminium has the same shielding properties as air.
An earthed steel/iron box is far better - or a considerable air gap.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be fabricating stax lambda cups out of epoxy putty, along the lines of the 4070 if I can figure out what they did

why not take a cast of an original cup with pinksil and make a replica with casting resin?

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by basb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although you said you don't want it, I recommend the standard hammond box, it's really small - with the usb and coax cables attached to the pcb, it is a tight fit and it looks really neat.

I just made a input/output switcher that has a little extra room in it. I may just slot the Bantam in there with some ERS fabric scraps I got from a fellow Headfier wrapped around it. This takes a couple solder joints and connections out of the chain in addition to having the dac further away from all my power cords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back