diy build PIMETA vs Mini3
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokece /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The case looks so nice.

Where did you get the case? and how much?

Those are Hammond 1455J1201BK's. About $19 ea. at Mouser.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 30
Wow, that's beautiful work.

Could you fit an RK27 in those cases or is it too tall?

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's beautiful work.

Could you fit an RK27 in those cases or is it too tall?

Thanks!

No, the "27" in RK27 means 27mm. Those cases are only 1.06" thick from outside bottom to outside top. The RK097 would be an excellent alternative to the Panasonic EVJ, though.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

No, the "27" in RK27 means 27mm. Those cases are only 1.06" thick from outside bottom to outside top. The RK097 would be an excellent alternative to the Panasonic EVJ, though.

I was thinking the same thing, and I am strongly considering doing this with the broken PIMETA I have laying on my shelf once I fix it! A neat transportable amp would be killer for any time I take an extended trip somewhere.

And it could do double-duty as an amp for my game consoles.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #20 of 30
Pimeta if you want to modify sound to your taste, if you want some warmth I think Pimeta with 627/637 with stacked buffers would do just great. But the mini3 is more portable.

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pimeta if you want to modify sound to your taste, if you want some warmth I think Pimeta with 627/637 with stacked buffers would do just great. But the mini3 is more portable.

I think keyid summed it up nicely. The only thing I would add is that the mini3 requires smd soldering which is not easy if you have not had some experience. There is also a thread here somewhere about adding bass boost to the pimeta to further increase flexibilty.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 30
This was sort of a side topic on this thread yesterday, but I realized I was not certain I understood the implications of leaving a Mini^3 plugged in all the time, so I wrote to AMB labs to ask for advice.

Here's AMB's response to my very basic question to them on this topic:

The time it takes to fully charge a battery depends on the capacity
of the battery, how dead it is, and the charge current. On the Mini3
the default charge current is 16mA which is very gentle. For example,
if your battery is a 270mAH unit and it's basically depleted, then
it would take 270mAH / 16mA ~= 17 hours to fully charge it again.

It is safe to leave it plugged in overnight (or even for a whole day).
Just don't leave it in for several days. When you continuously charge
an NiMH battery that's already full, it warms up and the cells would
eventually wear out. It won't explode or catch fire.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 30
does anyone have any links to mini3s with bass boost and/or adjustable gain switches???? i havnt seen anything like that.... my search came up empty

thanks in advance

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #24 of 30
Sorry, the Mini³ does not have bass boost or gain control. You could build it to a specific gain from 2 to 8, but it's not adjustable. The reason for this is that both features would require additional parts and mounting pots/switches on the front panel, there is no room for such parts on the board or the front panel. Also, the way bass boost or variable gain is usually implemented is to manipulate the feedback loop. On the Mini³, the high speed/wide bandwidth opamps used precludes a PCB layout that facilitates this.

Apr 25, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 30
Reading through these threads, I'm inclined to go with the Pimeta. I'm interested in sound. The size and style of the case, as well as the use of a trickle charger, are secondary to sound. I've yet to see anything here that indicates the Mini3 sounds better.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, the Mini³ does not have bass boost or gain control. You could build it to a specific gain from 2 to 8, but it's not adjustable. The reason for this is that both features would require additional parts and mounting pots/switches on the front panel, there is no room for such parts on the board or the front panel. Also, the way bass boost or variable gain is usually implemented is to manipulate the feedback loop. On the Mini³, the high speed/wide bandwidth opamps used precludes a PCB layout that facilitates this.

Well Ti, as you told me on a communication with you, we are free to experiment with the kits as they are DO IT YOURSELF kits. So, what if we can make a Pimeta on a metal and bigger case? I am planning to make a Pimeta (after making 3 mini3 and a M3, all successful) on a BIGGER case to include a line power supply and the Pimeta board, so it can be modified at any other time. We must remember these are DIY kits, Do it after yourself...

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 30
I don't think he was suggesting that you aren't allowed to - he's simply pointing out that the Mini3 wasn't designed for this and that it would be hard to implement. If you'd like to tinker no one's going to stop you.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:
Anyone selling these already built?

Reviving a pretty old thread.  I believe MisterX still builds the mini3, so you might want to send him a PM to ask. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #30 of 30
Mister X probably builds the new PIMETA version as well.  He certainly built plenty of the first versions.
wink.gif

I was listening to my original version PIMETA's just the other night (I admit, I'm mostly a tube person).  They still sound fantastic!  I've always preferred the OPA637/627 combination as the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back