DIY Balanced Tube Amp?
Oct 27, 2007 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

naamanf

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for my next DIY project. I want to build a KGSS but I can't seem to get the boards for it. I was thinking maybe a balanced tube amp. Any suggestions?

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for my next DIY project. I want to build a KGSS but I can't seem to get the boards for it. I was thinking maybe a balanced tube amp. Any suggestions?

Uh, KGSS is solid state, and even the KGBH is a hybrid... did you mean electrostatic, as I didn't see any compatible phones in your profile...

You can always build a balanced MillettMax...

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Well I would like to build a amp for Stax 02s (not yet purchased) but I don't think I can get the boards for them. I plan on purchasing a pair of 02s and the amps for them seem to be either under powered or over priced. I would really like to build a KGBH but seeing as I can't even get the boards for the KGSS I think it's out of the question. So I am trying to come up with another project to occupy my time.

Edit: I do have a pair of MAX boards at home
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Hi

Here is my schematic for an balanced headphone-amp, I made it few days ago
it's not the best schematic I have done, but this will I share. Hope you can use it.

Best regards,

Torben
balanced-otl.jpg

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Who needs boards
tongue.gif
Why don't you just go P2P? Sure it's more time consuming, but you aren't limited by form and you feel more accomplishment when it works
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Thank you for the suggestions so far. Think I am going to try and do a KGBH. I really need to do a P2P amp at some point but just like the continence of prefab boards.

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 17
Yeah, I was going to wait for the boards to come out for my current amp. However, I was like "ah screw it" and just did it P2P. It was a pretty rewarding experience and it wasn't THAT bad. Plus it looks way cooler.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestions so far. Think I am going to try and do a KGBH. I really need to do a P2P amp at some point but just like the continence of prefab boards.

first, be very careful. If you have not build tube amp before, don't start here. Seriously.

Secondly, read the KGBH Headwize article. You'll find what you are looking for there.

Thirdly, don't build the KGBH without biting the bullet and going for the Mullards.

Fourth, count how many 2sa1968's you need and try tracking them down and getting a (good) price on them.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first, be very careful. If you have not build tube amp before, don't start here. Seriously.

Secondly, read the KGBH Headwize article. You'll find what you are looking for there.

Thirdly, don't build the KGBH without biting the bullet and going for the Mullards.

Fourth, count how many 2sa1968's you need and try tracking them down and getting a (good) price on them.

I have gone through the Headwize article and found everything except the PS board files.

B&D has the 2SA1968s and the lot will run about $130. I plan on spending $1500+ on this which is about what I would spend on a Stax amp and have a much better amp for the 02s.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I have gone through the Headwize article and found everything except the PS board files.

B&D has the 2SA1968s and the lot will run about $130. I plan on spending $1500+ on this which is about what I would spend on a Stax amp and have a much better amp for the 02s.

excellent! seems like your head is on straight, so I say go for it. Maybe we can get a few people to go for the 2sa1968 and think about contacting Sanyo directly. This would be the cheapest option, and I think KG mentions this in his article. At a minimum, we could hit the 50+ price break at bdent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back