Diy Balanced Dac
May 19, 2009 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pdupiano

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know of a Diy balanced dac floating around the net? I was thinking of just making an inverter for my gamma 1 to get the signals necessary, but I'm worried about the possible phase shifts if I'm not careful. Before I go down that route, I'd appreciate any inputs, especially if anyone knows how to turn a gamma 1 into a balanced dac.

May 19, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of a Diy balanced dac floating around the net? I was thinking of just making an inverter for my gamma 1 to get the signals necessary, but I'm worried about the possible phase shifts if I'm not careful. Before I go down that route, I'd appreciate any inputs, especially if anyone knows how to turn a gamma 1 into a balanced dac.

Nope never heard of any
wink.gif
But you could start here Twisted Pear Audio

Also try the search function.

May 19, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also try the search function.

You're assuming that he hasn't.....

I am also interested in any constructive response as I'd like to build up something nicely balanced. I heard on the grapevine that AMB might be reviewing the gamma - any further news, and will it have a balanced build option?

May 19, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 22
Many DAC IC's output in a balanced fashion, but sum to a single ended output at the end. Find one you like and find a project that uses this IC and modify it to suit

May 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 22
Well for the most part I've come to realize that TPA is .... out of reach since they're always sold out. Can I simply run the audio signals through a pair of inverters and have the original Left and Right signals as well as an inverted Left and Right? I think there's actually a phase shift when I use an inverter and I'm not sure how to bypass the problem. I really wish I had a scope to just play and mess around with stuff.

May 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy a zhaolu DAC and a zapfilter II. perfect combo.

The Zapfilter II is about as out of reach as the Twisted Pear Audio modules....Its probably the OP's best bet though...

May 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 22
Thanks Cobaltmute.

I have looked into the Zapfilter but and as far as I'm concerned it looks exactly like what I'm looking for, but as others have pointed out its just as rare as all of TPA's stuff. At this point I think I want to make a little add on to the gamma 1 that will take the left and right channels, invert the signal, and buffer the original with a dual opamp where one is arranged as an inverter (gain 1) and the other as non-inverting (gain 1). I still have doubts that this will work because I don't know if the two signals will be out of phase. I've scoured through the current dacs available and it looks like all balanced dacs use a Dac chip that provides a r+/- and a l+/- from the dac itself. If I can get this thing going, I can see the possibilities of a cheap alternative to the zapfilter, where you take an unbalanced output from a dac and turn it into a balanced one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back