DIY Amplifier recommendations
Jun 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FOXY

100+ Head-Fier
What DIY amplifiers are recommended for Floorstanding speakers
from Von Schweikert like the VR-4SR?

The sound preference is very warm, with hugh 3d soundstage, that will make the singers to be in the room with presence. Smooth and detailed treble, and deep powerful bass.

The amplifer need to play pretty versatile geners of music.
like jazz, trance, pop, rock, ethnic, House, R&B...

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 12
Since there s already an opened thread, I thought I'd post in here, since I'm also considering the idea of building a loudspeakers amp

(I'm asking the question here,@ headfi because, I've found that the community was great, I've already built an alienDAC and a PPaV2 with the advices of the people here)

I was wondering if you guys could advise me a good amp that is :

_ not too costly (lets say that my budget is 200 euros, I can stretch it a bit but certainly can't spend 800 euros)
_ available in kits (for the financial reasons too, building the PPaV2 costed me a lot more than expected, due to shipping costs)
_ that could drive well enough that kind of speakers : Tangent Clarity 8 sur Son-Video
Klipsch Synergy F2 sur Son-Video
Tangent Evo E34 sur Son-Video
Focal-JMLab Chorus 714 V sur Son-Video
Cabasse MT3 Tobago sur Son-Video

(these will be used in a room of 25-30m²)

(I don't have the loudspeakers yet, I m merely thinking it's the sort of loudspeaker I'll be buying, since I m looking for column type loudspeakers, in that range of budget)

_ And with well documented assembly instructions. This point, I think, is as important as the others, because when I built the Alien and the PPaV2, I found that the instructions were really clear and detailed.

So far, the information I've gathered tends to point towards two different type of amps :

- the 41Hz.com amps
- Gainclone amps (from audiosector or chipamps.com)

So I was wondering if you guys had any advice regarding this little project. Do you think it can be done with that kind of budget (or should I just go for a behringer a500 BEHRINGER A 500 - Cyberstore International Français , that is said to be quite ok for its price )

And do you know if the 41Hz amps or the gainclone amps would be suited?

Thanks in advance

(and sorry for my lousy english)

(I'm also open to loudspeakers suggestions)

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Forget the beta24 as its probably too much for your needs for those speakers you listed. The beta22 might not have enough power (unless you're again willing to shell out loads of cash). For something proven and cheap aka the "cmoy of the speaker world": gainclones. Here's a very basic but useful guide:

GainClone

And if you fancy something different. Nelson Pass's amps (F1-F5) are stupidly popular and simple... there's loads over at a certain diy audio forums, group buys occuring every couple of weeks for them

edit: p.s. holy smokes at those diy tube kits erik

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget the beta24 as its probably too much for your needs for those speakers you listed.

Why?
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FOXY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?
confused.gif

I think one reason why he said that is due to the sensitivity of those speakers. According to VR-4SR MkII the speakers have a sensitivity of 92db, so the beta24 would be quite a bit of power for them. Personally I think you couldn't go wrong with the beta24
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 12
there are tons of DIY amplfiiers for speakers that you could build....Pick one from Nelson Pass's many designs..there is the Leach amp, the Krell KSA-50 clone, Rod Elliots P3A, the number of gainclone designs floating about for a quick and easy build, the amplifier modules/kits from aksa, amplabs and class D modules from Hypex or from Bang and Oulfsen..

PIck one ased on budget and requirements.

Cheers,
Sachu

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think one reason why he said that is due to the sensitivity of those speakers. According to VR-4SR MkII the speakers have a sensitivity of 92db, so the beta24 would be quite a bit of power for them. Personally I think you couldn't go wrong with the beta24
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know how beta 22 can handle trance and House in hige volume
smily_headphones1.gif

There is a review of the beta24?

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FOXY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a review of the beta24?

There is a review in the headwize β24 thread but headwize is still down.
If you were at CanJam '09 you could have experienced the β24 personally.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back