DIY AMP Project (First)
Jan 28, 2003 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

stormlifter

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi...

I'm looking into starting on my first DIY Amp... I'm looking at many options but first let me tell you what I'm going to use my AMP and then you guys will have an idea of where I'm coming from and we can go from there.

*- Gaming on a PC
*- Music on a PC
*- CD Players
*- DVD Players

Now... About all this PC activity
wink.gif
... ya well... I like my PC, I'm a Computer Engineer so it comes with the title. I'm looking at sound cards still but lets not worry about that being the factor, I'm going to find the best one for my use... Right now I'm worried about an AMP to power my headphones...

I've got Ultrasone HFI-650 Headphones <<Link to the headphones on Meier-Audio (awesome deals!)

I'm looking at spending around $250 MAX... but I'm willing to put forth a lot of time and effort to build this sucker... I'm even willing to do research to make something that doesn't exist YET. I am really into this audio stuff, I'm not very knowledgefull about this stuff but as you can see I'm willing to become.

If any of you DIY guru people have some suggestions about a project for me... be it pre-built, pre-planned, 2-week project... I'm into it... so let me know what you guys are thinking, THANKS AHEAD for the help !

Jan 28, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 15
If you've enough confidence, you could get the parts for a Gilmore amp on your own for about that mark... Building the amp might be too difficult for you though.

Jan 28, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 15
A max-out META wouldn't be too hard either, and you would most likely come in at well under $250. Check out

Tangent's site .

Mate you new amp with an M-Audio Revolution and foobar2k kernel streaming!

Jan 28, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Advise you to start from the Opamp-based Amp first , though performance is not so good as that of Discrete Solid-State Amps, But there is no complicated adjustment. Gilmore amp I feel too very fine, but for the servo,bias transistors and second stage transistors must be matched its a very heavy problem.

Wish you first work succeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu
A max-out META wouldn't be too hard either, and you would most likely come in at well under $250. Check out

Tangent's site .

Mate you new amp with an M-Audio Revolution and foobar2k kernel streaming!

Exactly... I'm getting a Revolutoin from www.newegg.com for 90 bucks... whats this Foobar2k stream thing ?

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 15
OMG.... that Meta 42... would definently be one hell of a project ! ! wow ! !... thats over my head... but I'm still up to try it... I'm patient... I'll like work on it 30 minutes a day after I come home from school... and I'll get someone I know to make me a nice metal case for it... kool stuff, going to be complex as hell though... but hey might be fricken fun !

If anyone has some advice on the Meta 42.. or think that I should go with something else let me know... THanks everyone ! !

so far :

AMP : Meta 42
Sound Card : M-Audio Revolution
Headphones : Ultrasone HFI-650 (bought)

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 15
I buit a CMOY for $30, its a good start.

Its been a week and im read to dump it and build top of the line META42 to mount in one of the large bay drives in my PC

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by stormlifter

If anyone has some advice on the Meta 42.. or think that I should go with something else let me know... THanks everyone ! !

Max the META42 out!

Elna Cerafine/Silmic caps... Get nice huge ones..
biggrin.gif

4-layered EL2002's! Better yet, get EL2009's and adapt them for the board!

hehee..

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamslacker
Max the META42 out!

Better yet, get EL2009's and adapt them for the board.

Rub it in, why don't you? Just because you have access to el2009's....
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Rub it in, why don't you? Just because you have access to el2009's....
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm sure you do! As long as Farnell serves your country.... Just kinda overpriced in small units though..

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamslacker
Max the META42 out!

Elna Cerafine/Silmic caps... Get nice huge ones..
biggrin.gif

4-layered EL2002's! Better yet, get EL2009's and adapt them for the board!

hehee..

Um.. i'm going to use it for portable use as well... so it may not be plugged in all the time... how long would it last with EL2002's and EL2009's ?? the battery time that is...

I was looking at the system that JMT made for someone... I'm going to ask him for some advice... but I really want to build this ugly thing myself

Jan 28, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 15
Is it possible to have a Power Supply for it... but when you unplug it to use lower power using ones such as EL2001's.. ? and when it gets power to use more powerful ones ?? is that possible ?

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 15
Foobar2k is a new software mp3 player being developed by a guy who defected from pogramming plug-ins for winamp. It's "simple" by design, at least on the outside. It has built in upsampling, crossfeed and such, but it also can do kernel streaming which is a method of sending data straight to you soundcard, effectively avoiding Windows 2k/XP built in processing which just serves to degrade sound quality. It's a fairly complex piece of software but it's worth the time invested.

Forum

foobar2k website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back