DIY amp for dt880/600. OTL or Hybrid?
Dec 10, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Unicorns

New Head-Fier
Hi
I'm looking for something to compliment my new dt880/600. I was planning on getting the Bottlehead Crack, but for various reasons (unrelated to the amp itself) I'm looking for something else now.
I bought the headphones for allround use but I would like them to do well with electronica (ambient/IDM). I'm not sure if I should go for an otl or a hybrid?

Here are some of the amps I've found interesting:

SSMH (12a_7 version) - Looks very interesting mainly due to the simplicity and price, though I wouldn't mind paying more to get something better.
SOHA II - PCB is available, but sourcing all those parts seems a bit overwhelming.

People tend to recommend the crack with the dt880/600, so I guess a simple otl similar to that would be nice, but I don't know how it fares with electronica.. The Morgan Jones otl looks nice and simple, but I don't know how it compares to the Crack..

I'm sorry if this is a bit incoherent but first picking headphones and now amps (and a dac too) is quite a daunting task.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 4
If you are OK with the safety precautions necessary for building with high voltages, I would lean towards OTL tubes. OTL tubes + beyer DT880 is a nice combination IMO.

The MJ clone is a very nice amp. In a few ways I prefer it to the Crack. The MJ clone is just a little more refined to my ears. The Crack has the "advantage" of more power than anyone will ever need. I am usuall biased towards White Cathode Followers instead of simple cathode followers for that reason (simple cathode followers generally SOUND brute-force where WCF has a certain elegance about the sound) If you are OK building an amp pretty much on your own Id lean to the MJ clone. Dont get me wrong, the crack still sounds quite nice and you get the advantage of tons of support from the community & kit MFR.

Edited:
you may also like the results from tweaking this amp:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/221733/modifying-the-xiang-sheng-708b-56k/165

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear. It's a bit hard to find people who have experience with diy hybrids like the SOHA II and high impedance headphones, but going otl seems like a safe bet.

I have done some simple repairs on guitar amps, so I am aware of the dangers of high voltage circuits.

I haven't really studied the circuits and I know the CJ/MJ does have an extra tube, but the layouts I have seen have just been a lot messier than the Crack (which looks very nice and clean).. Nothing compared to some guitar amps I've seen though
eek.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 4
There is nothing in the MJ that forces a messy layout. It is certainly a simple enough amp that with a bit of care a very clean layout can be achieved. 

Although I cant find pictures right now :facepalm: The MJ built by the user VVS75 ( v v s 7 5, no spaces) was reallllly clean. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back