DIY amp for beginners
Jul 29, 2009 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mplee79

100+ Head-Fier
Been reading through the DIY forums for some time now and I think it's time to give a project a whirl.

What is the general consensus on the easiest/most enjoyable project that i will most likely use from time to time? I took a look at the Millet starving student and the instructions and i must say, i'm confused
confused_face_2.gif

Is there a project that you'd suggest with step by step instructions? Headwize library good place to start?

thanks and looking forward to this new hobby.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 14
The starving student might be a good one, but the CMOY is probably better. Cmoys are generally recommended as an intro to soldering and DIY.

Headwize is a good place to start either way.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Jul 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 14
The Tangent Cmoy is the usual place to start. It offers low cost of entry and complexity, and it produces a decent enough little amp.

If you enjoy that build... the sky is the limit.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 14
Try the CMoy first. Though I just saw a thread posted by Tomb that is a step-by-step guide for the Starving Student. I haven't read it, but there should be good information there.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 14
I did a Mini3 as a first project. SMD soldering isn't as hard as it looks if you have a decently steady hand. And there's a picture guide here somewhere.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 14
I started with Tangent's guide for a cmoy. It was my first real attempt at soldering and helped me learn a lot about audio DIY. Like other posters have said, it is simple to build and inexpensive. I recommend starting with this.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 14
I think that the radio shack protoboard is a little more difficult than a custom cmoy pcb. From my different cmoy builds, I've only used the protoboard, and I did find it helpful when I cased one cmoy in a round altoids tin (I could rearrange the components so that it would fit in a small space). Also I read almost everything on Tangent's site including watching those video tutorials on soldering/tools.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 14
I think the protoboard is a little more difficult than the PCB. That being said, if you follow Tangent's guide, he makes it pretty clear where all the parts go so the only issue that arises is if you decided to use parts that are not the same size as the ones he lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back