DIY AC Line Filter
Mar 22, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #16 of 20
It always amazes me how speaker companies will either cheap out on crossover components and gimp the performance of their speaker, or they will include snake oil parts and use it as a license to charge 10K more than what the speaker is worth.

Why is it so hard for speaker companies to include just simple film caps and decent quality inductors.
If the consumers demanded it, it'd happen. Most people are still listening to MP3s, and speaker companies know this.
Even among so called Audiophile circles the push back you get against cables, film capacitors etc is borderline insane, at the end of the day these manufacturers will do the least amount of work they have to do to get their products off the shelf. Greed to the point of self sabotage.

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 20
If the consumers demanded it, it'd happen. Most people are still listening to MP3s, and speaker companies know this.
Even among so called Audiophile circles the push back you get against cables, film capacitors etc is borderline insane, at the end of the day these manufacturers will do the least amount of work they have to do to get their products off the shelf. Greed to the point of self sabotage.

Yeah I suppose. It's just hard to watch.

Mar 24, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 20

I object to the use of the word "greed" with most manufacturers. First of all, "greed" is in alignment with capital economics. That is how it works, unless it's abused. The customer receives a benefit, while the seller receives a profit for his work. The primary goal of ANY business is to make money. What's one of the first steps required to receive that money? You have to SELL what you make.

At the end of the day, these manufacturers are attempting to optimize what they make with what the consumers want, so sales are at a maximum and costs are at a minimum. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why not tell us how much you paid for those Duelund capacitors? Then let's discuss how that would benefit increased sales for a speaker manufacturer if he/she based his speaker design on those capacitors.

I have nothing against Duelunds. If you can afford them, more power to you. However, to imply that the reason speaker mfrs don't include them as standard is because of "greed," is absolutely unfair.

Mar 24, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 20
I object to the use of the word "greed" with most manufacturers. First of all, "greed" is in alignment with capital economics. That is how it works, unless it's abused. The customer receives a benefit, while the seller receives a profit for his work. The primary goal of ANY business is to make money. What's one of the first steps required to receive that money? You have to SELL what you make.

At the end of the day, these manufacturers are attempting to optimize what they make with what the consumers want, so sales are at a maximum and costs are at a minimum. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why not tell us how much you paid for those Duelund capacitors? Then let's discuss how that would benefit increased sales for a speaker manufacturer if he/she based his speaker design on those capacitors.

I have nothing against Duelunds. If you can afford them, more power to you. However, to imply that the reason speaker mfrs don't include them as standard is because of "greed," is absolutely unfair.
The stock capacitors that I pulled out of the speakers were not worth more than 30 bucks, the inductor was a ferrite iron core inductor, probably worth 10 bucks. Internal wiring was stranded tinned copper wire. I paid over 5 thousand for these speakers.
So yes I don't fault them for not having stock Duelunds, but what they had in there was a complete travesty.
Now that I have swapped out all the internals, if anything happens to the drivers, even if through no fault of mine, the warranty is void.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back