DITB/DTI - Adapt For Portable???
Nov 18, 2001 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Il Mostro

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey you Phone-atics. Just sittin' thankin' -- maybe I'm stankin'
:wink:

Has anyone played with the old Audio Alchemy Dac In The Box and DTI anti-jitter interface (both really small units)?

These would improve the living bejeezuzz out of pcdp's with or without outboard amps. Hell, mang. If choo gonna carry a purse for your cdp and amp choo might as well make it sound good. No?

I thought about this for car audio, but my Italian Alfa mechanic had no clue. Nor did the usual suspects in mainstream car audio installation.

What say you maniacs?

Nov 19, 2001 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 3
I use an AA DAC-Man (which I think is close to a DAC in the Box) for portable use (with a cosmic and some Ety 4s's). Its pretty nice for rad use. I also have something called an Ultra-Dac from AA, which looks like a DacintheBox bolted to a DTI box (common face plate) and and external Wall-wart-ish power supply). I use this Dac in my second system along with a portable CDP to occasionally make cassette tapes for friends. Both of these DAC's are pretty darn good little units for the price (I got both for less than $100 each) and if you can do the DC power thing (I am totally of most things electric), they might really zoop up a car stereo.

Nov 20, 2001 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for jogging my memory. Now I *do* seem to remember a battery fueled version of the DITB. Since I'm on the portable headphone amp track, I'll keep my eyes open for this too. It doesn't appear that the jitter reduction interfaces came in battery versions, though. Too bad, as I am sure that the jitter factor on PCDP's are at least as much of a shortcoming as the DAC sections.

The DITB and DTI were my very first outboard digital gear. They did wonders for my old Rotel 855 back in the day. I would imagine that these puppies can transform a portable rig. In fact, a friend of mine is still using my old AA equipment in his system and loves it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back