Disturbing info
Apr 25, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 49
How so?

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 49
bacteria need darkness and moisture to grow so that might be a factor headphones bring. 700 though? I guess if there aren't that many bacteria in your ear in the first place.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 49
you know that 68.3% of all interesting facts are pulled out of someone's backside, right?

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
117. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

Got it from here.
http://www.singlegrain.com/blog/301-useless-facts/

Even if that were true, it doesn't necessarily significantly increase the chance of getting an infection.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 49
If it's darkness and moisture that are at work here, I'd hate to find out how much bacteria I've got in there after eight hours of sleep in the summer. Sometimes news isn't.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 49
What are my stats if i wash my ears every day?

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know that 68.3% of all interesting facts are pulled out of someone's backside, right?

Yeah.. and who knows how many bacteria there are there.
blink.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
117. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

Got it from here.
http://www.singlegrain.com/blog/301-useless-facts/

Scary indeed, but this article most likely assumes that you're wearing the most average headphones, i.e. large and closed. They don't allow proper air flow to your ears due to their shape, so I suppose it's possible for bacteria to grow.

Also, the article never says just how much bacteria is already in your ears, so the 700 times factor could be going from virtually non-existent to only slightly present.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 49
Alright, the proof is in the pudding. We obviously wear headphones much much more than the average joe. Has anyone here actually HAD an ear infection due to headphone use to back up what this article is saying? I seriously wear headphones for at least 8 hours a day, and my ears are the picture of health.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, the proof is in the pudding. We obviously wear headphones much much more than the average joe. Has anyone here actually HAD an ear infection due to headphone use to back up what this article is saying? I seriously wear headphones for at least 8 hours a day, and my ears are the picture of health.

Nope...

On a side-note...if you take a shower daily, I don't think this should be too much of a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back