Disturbed and disappointed by Mets Fans.
Jun 10, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 29
Trust me, that kind of crass behavior is endemic to a lot of pro sports in major markets these days. I live in Cleveland, Ohio (i'm from NYC/North Jersey originally) now, and in the last 12 years i've been here, i've seen a good share of ugliness in sports. I was at a Cleve Browns game a few years ago, when all of a sudden, many local fans here started throwing bottles and other objects at Tim Couch, the Browns QB!!! My wife got hit in the head with a bottle, and had to get 6 stitches!!!! I've also been to Jacobs Field to watch The Indians, and had to bear the brunt of some drunk Indians fans throwing crushed ice and their food (hot dogs, buns, candy bars, etc.) to lower areas of the stadium, hitting innocent families in the process. I think this is more a sign of society's decay in morals/ethics more than anything else.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Radio Nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me, that kind of crass behavior is endemic to a lot of pro sports in major markets these days. I live in Cleveland, Ohio (i'm from NYC/North Jersey originally) now, and in the last 12 years i've been here, i've seen a good share of ugliness in sports. I was at a Cleve Browns game a few years ago, when all of a sudden, many local fans here started throwing bottles and other objects at Tim Couch, the Browns QB!!! My wife got hit in the head with a bottle, and had to get 6 stitches!!!! I've also been to Jacobs Field to watch The Indians, and had to bear the brunt of some drunk Indians fans throwing crushed ice and their food (hot dogs, buns, candy bars, etc.) to lower areas of the stadium, hitting innocent families in the process. I think this is more a sign of society's decay in morals/ethics more than anything else.

That's terrible. And I agree about the general decline in behavior at all stadiums. I don't necessarily know if it's a sign of a decline in society's morals, though. Regardless, one thing I firmly believe is that drunk belligerent fans can make for a lousy day at a sporting event. And believe me, I like to have a few beers at a game. But if it is going to lead to a family's horrible experience, it just isn't worth it. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I fully support the stadiums in their effort to curb alcohol consumption.

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be thankful you don't have the Raiders in your town.

No but I have their fans, they just wear Dodger Blue around these parts.
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Shea is like a jackass magnet.

Yeah, it attracts the worst fans from opposing teams.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #21 of 29
I've always thought Shea was more family oriented and it's fans more open and diverse. Since many come from Queens and LI.
I've found very friendly fans at NASCAR races. Even minor league games are unenjoyable sometimes. (it's the fans, again or baseball which had a checkered history)

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to New York! Most Mets fans are closet Yankees fans, so it's really all hereditary. -Matt

Where do you come off with an arbitrary statement like that
blink.gif
? I don't know one Met fan, that is anyway close to being a closet Yankee fan.

Quote:

You know a city has no class when their baseball fans persistently boo their team's best player.

Oh, so now NYC has no class. Thanks for letting me know. And all this time I thought that Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center and Broadway had just a touch of class, but now I'm glad you set me straight.
plainface.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 29
I'm reading some of the 'Mets vs. Yankees' posts here, and I have to laugh. Being I was born in NYC, and raised in The Bronx and North Jersey, I liked BOTH the Mets and Yankees growing up. I just like the game of baseball, and appreciated both teams. To this day, i'm 45, live in Cleveland, and STILL love BOTH the Mets and Yankees, as I support most NY teams. Am I alone in my display of 'universal love' here, or is it 'sacrilege' to like both teams (LOL)?!

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #24 of 29
I rooted for the Yankees (along with my Mets) to win in the 90s. It was nice to see such a storied franchise life itself up from the ruins of the 80's and early 90's. I started rooting against the Yankees when all of their fans became obnoxious bastards wearing "26 championships" and "Got Rings?" shirts and completely deleted Andy Stankowicz, Melito Perez, the Jay Buehner trade, and Howie Spira (whom I met, the man is a worm) from their collective memories. If the Yankees franchise had the confidence that their fans would be there during a rebuilding process they wouldnt have to keep hiring Roger Clemens out of retirement every 2 years. GIVE THAT MAN ANOTHER CADILLAC!

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Radio Nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm reading some of the 'Mets vs. Yankees' posts here, and I have to laugh. Being I was born in NYC, and raised in The Bronx and North Jersey, I liked BOTH the Mets and Yankees growing up. I just like the game of baseball, and appreciated both teams. To this day, i'm 45, live in Cleveland, and STILL love BOTH the Mets and Yankees, as I support most NY teams. Am I alone in my display of 'universal love' here, or is it 'sacrilege' to like both teams (LOL)?!

QFT. I'm not a Yankee fan at all. But the reason I'm not a Yankee fan has more to do with the American League than the team. I'm a Met fan and a National League fan. And the bottom line is that I am a baseball fan period. It's a beautiful game even if the fans are not.

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #26 of 29
I left out one word and my whole statement misrepresented what I meant.

What I meant to say was "I don't know one Met fan that is a closet Yankee fan! Not "that is a Yankee fan" (without the closet). Edited in above post.

If the Mets are not in the final playoffs, then I root for the next closest NY team, and in my case that would be the Yankees. I don't really root for them (as tjkurita says...it's a National league thing). I grew up in Flushing, and my dad used to take me to Shea in '64 -74, mumbling under his breath in an upset fashion about his disgust about the whole "abandoning Ebbets Field" thing (Brooklyn Dodgers).

I am also a Jet fan, but if they don't make it at the end of the season, then I hope that the Giants can. If the 2 of them play each other (Jets/Giants...Mets/Yankees) then I root for the ones I prefer and love.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I left out one word and my whole statement misrepresented what I meant.

What I meant to say was "I don't know one Met fan that is a closet Yankee fan! Not "that is a Yankee fan" (without the closet). Edited in above post.

If the Mets are not in the final playoffs, then I root for the next closest NY team, and in my case that would be the Yankees. I don't really root for them (as tjkurita says...it's a National league thing). I grew up in Flushing, and my dad used to take me to Shea in '64 -74, mumbling under his breath in an upset fashion about his disgust about the whole "abandoning Ebbets Field" thing (Brooklyn Dodgers).

I am also a Jet fan, but if they don't make it at the end of the season, then I hope that the Giants can. If the 2 of them play each other (Jets/Giants...Mets/Yankees) then I root for the ones I prefer and love.

I can relate to much of what you say. My dad was a hardcore Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and "adopted" the Mets, to stay with an NL team. It's funny, becuase he actually grew up in the Bronx right near Yankee Stadium, and likes to tell stories how the security guards would let the neighborhood kids into the bleachers for free during the 7th inning stretch (late 30's early 40s). He also remembers watching games from rooftops, before they built the upper deck. But, he also classifies himself as a "Yankee hater". I dunno. I grew up as a Mets fan, but I know a whole lot of Yankee history. I have respect for them, but also recognize that, as a broad generalization, Yankees fans are more entitled than Mets fans. Me -- I'm not sure if I'm a closet Yankee lover or Yankee hater. Probably a mixture. I am happy just being an NL fan (I'm sorry but the whole DH thing is just wussy).

And I have a similar thing about the Jets and Giants, BTW.

I think the generalizations/stereotypes are there: Mets fans are more blue collar, while Yankees fans are more corporate; Mets fans expect to be disappointed, Yankees fans expect to be rewarded; Mets fans are more emotional, Yankees fans more cerebral. But hey, those are just stereotypes.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me a break! Yankee fans are the most hated fans in all of baseball. They walk around like they are owed a championship every year and when they dont win, they disappear. For the last 2 weeks I havent seen a single Yankees jersey in the city. Just yesterday everyone and their brother started wearing them again. 30% of Yankee fans are teenage girls who dont know Ken Phelps from Kenny Rogers.

Ive been going to at least 5-6 Mets games a year for the last 5 years and they've all been against some of their biggest opponents. Braves, Phillies, and Yankee fans all used to stroll into Shea stadium like they owned the place without so much as a dirty look thrown their way. Finally this year Mets fans are shouting them down and giving them the busines like they deserve but I dont want our fans to treat others like we've been treated in those other parks.

Dont throw beer, food, and curse around kids. Dont start drunken fights over nothing. We're better than that and we've shown it.

Anyone who has been to a game lately notice it?

Bundee: it might make you feel better to know that I went to one of the Phillies games last week (the back-to-back-to-back HR bonanza, followed by the extra inning bullpen collapse) behind a row of mostly Phillies fans. We were in the mezzanine. Nobody hassled them, but they were also respectful (did not gloat, even on Burrel's homer). Maybe people were more sober, and that helped. Basically, though, I was proud of our fans, despite a really heart-breaking (and embarrassing) loss.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 29
Just be glad it isn't as bad as football (soccer) in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back