Distortion Harmful During Burn in?
Nov 12, 2005 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Riku540

1000+ Head-Fier
I’ve been running my HF-1’s 72 hours +, and during sometime when I left for work tonight, I guess my amp battery got low and for however long until I got back the playback was distorted. As soon as I got home I quickly ran to change the battery and keep the burn in going. It’s fine now, but I’m just concerned that I haven’t done any long term damage to the drivers from this. There wasn’t any cracking or popping, it just sounded a little like when you don’t have your headphones plugged in all the way. This could have potentially been going on for 5 hours tops. Can anyone tell me if any harm has been done?
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 13
I don't think anyone's ever ruined anything by running it UNDERvoltage.

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 13
I know, but still. I'm just concerned since headphones aren't really made to play distortion sounds. Can anyone else give me a second opinion or facts even? Thank you.

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Headphones are made to play sounds. Period. Many artists use distorts in their music. i was listening to some Apex Twin and if that is not distortion than I'm the Pope. A headphone doesn't distinguish between quality sounds and distorted ones. It does however distinguish beteen different power levels. Using them subdriven isn't harmful... it's just annoying for u. Overdrive... now that's a problem

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 13
I would know, seeing that the only music I listen to is electronic music which is purely synthesized which is basically different distorted variations of sounds to produce new sounds. However, when my techno music sounds buzzy, I can’t entirely be sure that the abnormal distortions aren’t harmful to my headphones. The distortions used in electronic music is meant to sound the way it sounds, but what worries be is 5 continuous hours of ABNORMAL distortion being burned in to my HF-1’s. I just want a little more reassurance, so are my headphones okay?

Nov 12, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 13
If it still sounds good, no harm is done. If you'd have set the volume so high that it distorts with full batteries, I'd see a greater damage potential. But still the first sentence applies.

peacesign.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by eVITAERC
I don't think anyone's ever ruined anything by running it UNDERvoltage.

It might be clipping with less power behind, but it stays clipping - and that's still potentially dangerous. However, of course, with headphones typically being single driver per channel designs, the danger on the whole should be quite a bit lower compared to speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck
Distortion may be harmful only if it comes from driver overload, not from the amp (...)

Well, then I still see a party and some fried tweeters happening sometime in your life. Be sure to report back afterwards, so we can explain to you what happened...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Well, then I still see a party and some fried tweeters happening sometime in your life.

Yup, one of the "formative" experiences in almost every audiophile's life. "My loudspeakers are rated 200 W continuous, but my amp produces 100 W at most. Let's dance..."
wink.gif

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back