Dissapointed with high end headphones... what am I doing wrong?
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #151 of 186
One example is crinacle a well known reviewer reviewed the Sennhesier MTW badly but I enjoyed it so much and could listen to long hours. Whereas some he gave A+ I felt it's utterly boring. I guess ultimately it's what you enjoyed most and could listen it for long time on different genres and what works for you most. ... Maybe I have bad ears.. 😅

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #153 of 186
I felt this way about getting into headphones years ago. I felt like I was enjoying the sound from headphones that didn't have the best reviews or were critiqued harshly by audiophiles. When it came to headphones I paid more to get, I became obsessed with trying to find all the ways in which they should [in my mind] be better. I wasn't enjoying my music. I was focused on the headphones, and I was obsessed with analyzing everything. I was nitpicking. Then it turned into, "Maybe I need a better amp? Or DAC? I might need a new source, too. All my files are lossless, is there a better format?" It was a rabbit hole.

And then I realized, what does it matter? They're for my ears only, first and foremost, and if I like what I hear, that's all that matters. Just the same, I may not like what I hear out of higher-end headphones.

Over the years, my needs and preferences have changed, so after a good 10 years or so, I'm picking back up with gradually trying low to mid-priced headphones to figure out what I want out of my equipment before investing more. There were times when I just put on a pair and thought, "I don't get it. This sounds the same as the other pair. Or at least as good."

But more recently, I started noticing really subtle differences in what I was listening to. Maybe something in the mids I hadn't heard before because they were recessed on other sets or overpowered by booming bass; more clarity; wider soundstage... At one point I thought to myself that a pair headphones I really liked were sounding muddier than I remembered, but when I took them off, I was wearing a completely different pair. (I'm really spacey sometimes, okay?)

For me, at least, I've stopped looking at what's critically and universally acclaimed. I used to assume that because things were highly praised, they would automatically suit my listening tastes, and that was wrong. Even when I find people with similar tastes in music, we may have different ideas on what that should sound like. We may like the same profiles, but we may listen to vastly different things. And it's no different from one person thinking a set of headphones is too heavy or uncomfortable while another might think they're the most comfortable headphones in the world.

Makes me think of some studio monitors I was trying. On one hand, they were so clear and accurate, and it was crazy to hear every little detail in recordings. On the other hand, you could hear every little detail in recordings. It was flat, it was boring, it was just honest. So obviously, they're not for listening enjoyment or for people looking for something "fun."

And I suppose that goes for anything. Just because you don't share an opinion doesn't mean you're wrong. If I can't tell the difference, you bet I'll opt for a pair of cheaper headphones and snag some spares with the difference.

So what are you doing wrong? Nothing. Or rather, your focus shouldn't be on what you think you should be hearing and losing sight of what's really important. I think something that should be remembered is that just because you fail to see the hype of a pair of headphones, it doesn't mean there's something wrong with you or your ears. You're just someone with their own preferences, and that's okay. Just the same, you might even prefer a sound signature most others don't.

What matters in the end is that you're happy with what you're hearing.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #154 of 186
You should have seen the face of one of the two gentlemen in this super fancy showroom. He was waiting for me to go "DAMN!! I'M TAKING EVERYTHING". In fact, when I said I didn't notice huge difference, he started using his facemask inmediatly (he wasn't using it in front of me before) and disappeared within the store :)

I think your suggestion is very good. The reason why I was looking to get something like the RME was because it had a "reasonable" combination of all-in-one high-end dac/amp. I felt that if I get something like that, I wouldn't be going back to a store to get more expensive, higher-end equipment. Plus, it seems that it doesn't take too much space.
Wow,what a jerk.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #156 of 186
I always make up projects to try and get improvements. One lately was attempting to get the best from older mid-fi/budget gear I own. Having purchased the $149 FiiO E17K Alpen 2 portable DAC/Amp a while back, I realized I never tried to get a good signal to it.

So attempting to discover a good compilation with my gear I connected the qdc Anole V3 IEMs. Typically these 3BA IEMs at $600 are looked at as mid-fi. Next was getting a good digital source to the mini USB plug so I purchased the $5 dollar Apple Bit Perfect software for my MacBook Air.

https://colibri-lossless.com/flac/?amp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4bDEjoTN6wIVkamWCh0AkQhOEAAYASAAEgKbvvD_BwE

After getting all the settings right and hooking up this system....... all that was needed was some new and exiting music.

Yello has a new album release this week in 24bit called Point.

6AD874DC-48DD-452D-B8C4-E0D0F8A7AD84.jpeg
F0122D39-0ADC-4429-BD95-ED6A524349D6.jpeg

In ending here, there is nothing more fun than getting a $149.00 six year old budget system to sound fantastic. As it’s all about staying with your desired tone and synergy!...................and having a good source/file.

25453CEE-3C34-4E7D-B66E-D1CFA91D749D.jpeg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #158 of 186
How much does the LCD2 weight to cause back/neck problems??? 550gr? And how is the Sundara?

My Amiron Wireless Copper weights 400gr and yet it's one of the most comfortable headphone I've ever aside the Amiron Home. I think I've found my perfect headphones.

I have set myself a limit of 500 g personally. In my case, anything past that makes itself felt pretty quickly regardless of how well the weight is distributed. That said, none of the Hifiman headphones are heavy. They are plastiky, though- I don't like their build quality.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #159 of 186
I have set myself a limit of 500 g personally. In my case, anything past that makes itself felt pretty quickly regardless of how well the weight is distributed. That said, none of the Hifiman headphones are heavy. They are plastiky, though- I don't like their build quality.
Yeah, all that plastiky just turns me off and also read from others the build quality or quality-control is not very good. The Sundara was on my list but now, my Amirons suits me perfectly.

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #160 of 186
The road to high end sound is varied. Some folks find a level that they are happy. Some people are more interested in the music more then that quality of the reproduction. Some folks love a bargain. Some folks swap a component out and experience a huge jump in performance that spurs on an endless pursuit of greater fidelity or performance. I have spent the last fifty years pursuing two fantastic systems (a room audio and headphone). While I enjoyed the pursuit, I have enjoyed the plateaus of greater performance along the way where just turning on and listening to the system was in my future. I just finished upgrading both... instead of buying three or four new cars. But I spend more time home than driving around.

Dec 26, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #161 of 186
I made the experience for myself, test reports ... measurements ... test winner, hands off all of them for the time being.
What money I've thrown out for bad purchases in 30 years ... :see_no_evil:

The best step a couple of years ago was to find a great .. totally crazy dealer whose business is more of a shop for friends and good conversation.
Listening, testing, talking, ..hearing talking and also testing at home. It takes many hours and comparisons to find the differences for yourself.

Apart from measurable or immeasurable data, it gives me pleasure to infect in good cables ... even if I imagine it, it makes me happy and helps :o2smile:

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #162 of 186
Even if someone had no elementary education in art they kind of know when art starts to imitate life. Maybe it’s an impressionist painting and they enjoy how the emphasis was on light. They know it’s not real but like the imagination or interpretations of maybe a segment of life.

Headphones never replicated life in music playback. They can replicate the timbre of instruments and even create a lifelike approximation.

It’s because it’s an approximation and many life like attributes are included..........then musical enjoyment takes place. Is even the best headphone replay more real than a table top kitchen radio? Maybe not?

We know with IEMs in particular that the up and down placement of tone imaging has absolutely nothing to do with the producers intentionally created imaging. Cymbals go high and wide, bass will start to fall under your chin. All these phenomenons are results of frequency finding placement. Argument would be even a single source 5 inch speaker in a room may make the sound in a more real position.

What IEM listening is, is imaginative delusions of music playback. The music is closer than real-life and due to this up front-ness allows for close examination. If anything it’s a microscopic close-up of music thus forgetting any of the true placement in real life. It’s too close to be lifelike. And just like a microscope vision we lose references to reality. It’s a world view which is out of context. Some people admire that placement more than others, but it also could be a set of learned skills.

There will always be the thrill of hearing this world for the first time, but in the end it’s value is simply entertainment day in and day out. If the entertainment factor ever gets left out, then trouble begins.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #163 of 186
They feel/look like $3000.00 headphones,they are solidly built,superbly comfortable for longgg listening sessions,they have exquisite tone with a glorious midrange/upper bass & they cost $350.00 which is absolute bargain..
I prefer the HD600 or HD650 to the Sundaras. They are in the same price range and they are a lot lighter and therefore much more comfortable. It really depends on what type of sound signature you prefer.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #165 of 186
If you don't hear much difference consider yourself lucky, enjoy the headphones and stuff you have and never look back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back