Discussion Of What Is "High End"
Jul 12, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 209

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Once determined, can we get a sticky?

Another forum for us newbs to drool over. AAAAaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh! Make it stop.
eek.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 209
Well, we're working on it....

I guess one thing we won't be talking about in there is gaming headphones.

Apologies to my gaming friends, but I just couldn't resist.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 209
I don't know what you're talking about I use my R-10's and Zana Deux for gaming all the time!?!

I'm looking forward to drooling along with the rest I suppose.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 209
Probably how the item are able to reproduce the recorded sound.
Aka -> Sound quality.

It don't need to be a reflection of its price tag. Even if it usually are so...

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure da mods will have plenty of fun with people whining about what is and isn't "high end." Is it the price? The sound? The look? A combination thereof? The mere idea of segregating off a "high-end only" area is playing with fire.

Yeah, it is. But playing with fire can be pleasant at times.
wink.gif

I think considering price and known sound properties in a convenient mix regarding as high end is good enough.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 209
I think it's where you get beyond price considerations and, instead, focus on the best possible sound. A lot of the stuff discussed is the "$300 or less for an amp" sort of thing. The high end is where the $6 resistors and $120 transformers don't matter and the circuit and execution do. Of course, that's a tough line to define. As for headphones, I suspect that only the discontinued ones will get mention.

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 209
Funnily enough when this forum was "in works" before opening, I thought it was going to be about non-headphone related Hiend stuff.
High End usually associates a high price tag, but I've met many high-end sounding devices that don't carry a "high-end" cost, and also many many high-end priced products that sound very mediocre. I'm not very sure a forum like this makes much sense at Head-fi apart from having a kind of "elite" site where no questions about Skullcandy, IEMs, cheapo chinese amps and DAPs, are posted.
Let's see what this ends up being.

Rgrds

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 209
How much do you want a bet that n00bs like me will ask about what headphones to buy under $300. i know i would have a few months ago, they seem high end from an outsider's point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back