[DISCOUNT EXPIRED] Chesky Records' Primal Scream!
Jul 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
See what the critics are saying:
DOWNBEAT MAGAZINE ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ Four Stars!!
"This is a cool, calm and collected set, dry as a martini and nearly as subtle." - John McDonough, Downbeat

"It’s an addictive and spacious record of extremely cool jazz, packed with the kind of grooves you’ll dig on repeatedly." - David Weiss, SonicScoop

"...music that suggests an almost zen-like contemplation on the dialectic between control and freedom." - David Whiteis, JazzTimes

"Primal Scream makes no bones about its debt to the music of the masters and makes a powerful statement about the need for jazz to "dance" again." - Richard Kamins, Step Tempest

More about the album

Once again pianist/composer David Chesky courts a dark muse on this second outing by his Jazz in the New Harmonic quintet. The noirish atmosphere prevails from his first dissonant stabs at the keyboard on the opener, “Check Point Charlie”, to the final moody strains of the closer, “Sleepless in New York”. This is a different kind of cool jazz, one that grooves along steadily. Close your eyes and you can fell a fundamental groove-and-riff formula that is not unlike what Eddie Harris was putting down on “Listen Here” or Herbie Hancock on “Cantaloupe Island”.
Part of the Chesky Binaural + Series, all recorded with a single microphone, the band appears right before you with this spacious, lush and multi-dimensional recording. Now headphone users will hear the same three-dimensional sound and imaging as audiophiles have for the past 25 years with Chesky Recordings. Also these new Binaural+ Series albums capture even more spatial realism for the home audiophile market, bringing you one step closer to the actual event. You will hear some of the most natural and pure cool jazz ever recorded.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 10
listened to the cd and i must say it's really an enjoyable binaural recording, terrific piece all together... HD at 25% off? no brainier... go get it now!

that Binaural+ series is really 'dope' !!!

btw... if HDtracks.com had sorting by release year/date, that would be terrific too, else it's easy to miss new stuff

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the discount! I bought it late last night and will be giving it a listen in a few hours. What's not to like when you have great music that is recorded with a passion for the sound quality of the final product? 

I wish all my CD's were recorded with the same sound quality that I've heard thus far from my Chesky CD's. It would make ALL of our home and portable audio systems sound so much better. 

Thanks again!

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 10
Fantastic music... a steal with the discount.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Nice!  Music is right up my alley and really sounds great!

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 10
A very enjoyable album. Noirish, laid back, and full of surprises. Thanks @Chesky Records for the discount!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back