Disc Golf, anybody play?
Sep 18, 2006 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mr_baseball_08

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to see if there's anyone else here who enjoys a round or two of disc golf..

I tried to get into it last year, but with full time school and almost full time job, playing time is sparse.. This semester I dropped the job and the school I'm at has a full 18 hole course. Shot 2 over last week and play on getting myself down to a par round this week.

Anybody else here play?

Sep 18, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 18
Huge fan here.

If you dont have an Innova Orc...get one right now...i have 3, all at 171, and dont trust anything else on long drives

are you a backhand or forehand driver?

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 18
disc golf? oh you mean Frolf!!!
lambda.gif

seems very interesting to play; i wonder if there are any in vancouver...

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
I'm a forehand driver all the way.. Actually I make almost all my throws forehand unless I've got an obstacle in my way on an approach shot and then I'll try backhand. My drives average 230 - 250 feet, but I have thrown 320+ in wide open areas.

Interesting that you mention the Orc, because I was watching a Championship Orc on Ebay and let it go today. Right now I drive with an Innova Valkyrie and it does pretty well for me.

The valkyrie is a great disc, its just too unstable for me, i cant predict it as well as i can the orc. what weight are you using?

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Huge fan here.

If you dont have an Innova Orc...get one right now...i have 3, all at 171, and dont trust anything else on long drives

are you a backhand or forehand driver?

I'm a forehand driver all the way.. Actually I make almost all my throws forehand unless I've got an obstacle in my way on an approach shot and then I'll try backhand. My drives average 230 - 250 feet, but I have thrown 320+ in wide open areas.

Interesting that you mention the Orc, because I was watching a Championship Orc on Ebay and let it go today. Right now I drive with an Innova Valkyrie and it does pretty well for me.

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
The valkyrie is a great disc, its just too unstable for me, i cant predict it as well as i can the orc. what weight are you using?

Is the Orc completely stable?

I do well with the Valkyrie but I usually have to go hyzer or anhyzer with it, as it generally doesn't fly flat and straight.

I'm also looking at picking up a 150 orc. Think it would be up to par with the ones you have, aside from the weight difference.

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Unless you have a really strange throwing style, I would never forehand throw a disc under 170g. Ive had several, and it was absolutely impossible to control. No matter what, a good forehand throw will have high-speed turn (to the left) and low-speed fade (to the right), but I've found I could more accurately predict the shape of the "S" this makes with the orc more than any other discs.

My drives average around 400ft with no wind, so there is a good amount of whip on these things, and I found that a champion Orc is the best out there....
I get more distance out of a lighter Valk (as well as a star wraith), but i just cant control them as well. It nice to have uber-long drives that "wow" your friends, but when push comes to shove, its putting the disc where you want to that lowers your score. (For that reason, on holes less than 400ft, I will often back-hand drive a KC Pro Roc, which is IMHO, the best disc ever made...straight as an arrow).

Jeez, I sound like a commerical...

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 18
I got into it on a whim and soon was hooked. I also got some skeptical friends out to play. We're obsessed now and usually go several times per week. Obsessed enough that we've been looking at the PDGA online course directory to potentially plan a mini road trip tour.

My utility disc is my Leopard, which originally was the only disc I could drive straight. Now I can rip it and turn it over at will (especially forehand, where it holds the curve forever). Nowadays I drive with my Millennium Orion LS until I grow into my Champion Beast. It's a little too much disc at my level, but every now and then I nail my throw and the Beast flies a mile. I still get a little more distance with my forehand, but my backhand is catching up since I'm getting the hang of my X step.

I also experimented with a Discraft APX Soft Elite. It suits me better than my DX Aviar and grabs the chains really well. I've dropped some really slick blind anhyzer putts with it, as well as a downhill overhand putt.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 18
As far as putters go, I experimented for YEARS and never found one I liked. Then I tried the Aviar in the KC Pro plastic.

I never looked back.

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 18
I'm glad someone is having good fortune with the KC Pro Roc, as I can't ever get it to do what I want. Then again, I'm a predominantly a forehand player except for putting and short approaches.

Can either of you reccomend a good approach disc for 35 - 75 feet distances? I don't feel like a driver is a good choice in this situation but it's the only thing I can put on a semi straight path at those distances.

As far as putting goes, the only thing I've ever used (and what I have in my bag) is an Aviar Putt and Approach. I like it alright, but since it's the only thing I've ever used for putting I can't really compare.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 18
Man I've been playing almost a year now...I don't remember exactly when I started last year(It was this month though).  I must say it's the best sport I've ever played in my life.  We have gotten 3 people into the sport this year, 2 of them are still not that great, but 1 was able to easily translate his baseball pitch into a forehand shot.

My main drivers are my 169g champ Leopard, 171g champ valkyrie, 164g star roadrunner, and my latitude 64 striker which I think is 172g.  That roadrunner replaced my second ever driver which I still miss, it was also a roadrunner(champ 166g), and I believe that a group we let shoot through our larger group stole it.  We let 3 groups shoot through that hole after we threw our drives and I asked the last 2 which claimed they didn't see it, but couldn't catch up to the first one.  I throw mainly backhand and tend to use the valkyrie, but I really like how I'm able to hyzer flip my roadrunner, also good for long anhyzer shots and the leopard of course for those shorter holes.  My main midranges are, my favorite first run 180g star mako, and my DX stingray.  My putter has to be my super soft Voodoo.  I have other discs that I use, but those are the ones I use most often.  Got myself a Gorilla Boy silverback to carry all of my discs, such an awesome bag.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 18
By the way dgcoursereview.com is an awesome site for finding courses, reviews, and pictures of them.  Also the forums there are pretty great too.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 18
Man only been playing for just over a month now..loving every bit of it. Too many cool parks around town to fly some discs. 

Using mostly Innova discs, I can't figure out the name of my main driver, its an Innova 175g, i can get regularly 300ft and at times 325-350 ft distances by side arming it.
Trying to learn how to throw my new discraft Nuke (174g) driver. Its a lot less stable and tends to dive quick if thrown wrong. 

For a fairway driver i use the Roadrunner, but even then i tend to use my main driver and side arm it by regulating the force I use.

For putting nothing beats a Steady Eddy :)

I end up getting 3 or 4 over par in a 12 hole course which isn't too bad considering i am relatively new to this.

here's a pic of me with my disc golfing buddies a couple of weeks back at Lunchtime in SW Portland

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 18
Yes in Tiger woods PGA tour 10 and 11 for Wii. Quite fun though it´s not quite as rewarding as golf.

I totally suick with frisbees in real life anyway so I stick with real golf!

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 18
I love disc golf..unfortunately I live in Germany now and don't get to playing so much.  I usually use a Champion Teebird as my main driver, and a valkyrie if I want a bit more curve.  I have used Orcs before, and they are pretty good.  I find the Teebird is much more predictable, and flies further.  Forehand for straight or a good left curve, backhand for a nice right curve, and the tomahawk for going over obstacles.  I usually throw about par.  I'm not a huge fan of carrying a disc bag, so I usually throw every shot with a driver =P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back