Disappointed with the AKG K550 – Where is the bass?
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:
What source(s) are you currently plugging the headphones into?
What DAC and headphone amp. are you using?

Try putting the K550 under a blanket for a few days while plugged to something playing audio at a higher level then you normally listen to.
I prefer to play Metal for burn-in audio.

Indeed, the OP must tell us what the source is and if lossy compression was used. This is critical before saying a headphone (or speaker) is crap.
Then, what's the amp ?

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 46
But lossy mostly affects claritty and sound imaging. Its the falire of a good sea causing the bass lack.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 46
Sounds like how i felt the modded hd558 to have little bass since i came from a bassy hd202:p

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:
Indeed, the OP must tell us what the source is and if lossy compression was used. This is critical before saying a headphone (or speaker) is crap.
Then, what's the amp ?

Thanks for the input guys. I don’t have an amp, but a lot of people have commented on the fact that the K550 is easily driven…

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609499/best-sound-for-my-new-akg-k550s
http://www.head-fi.org/t/602102/akg-k550-amp-synergy

…so I plug them straight into my laptop. I plan on getting a fiio e17 soon, but I don’t think it will make a difference. I tested these phones on my FLAC collection but they still lacked bass and warmth.

I was using the Superlux HD681 before these and they were absolutely perfect. I want a sound similar to them – bassy while still being tuneful and clear. The k550’s are way too neutral for me. I really find them to be uninvolving for movies as well (lacks warmth, everything sounds hollow). For classical music, I’m sure they’re exceptional, but they don’t tick the right boxes for films, games and listening to other genres like hip hop, jazz and even rock. For people that desire that neutral, clear sound they are flawless but I need something that is fun, vibrant and resonates deeply.

It’s my own fault anyway. I should have researched more carefully. Neutral headphones are not for me. I'm going to return these and get either the DT770 or m50.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #22 of 46
My 0.02

Don't like the signature, switch. Return them. 

You maybe pleased with:

DT990

D2000

DT770

Ultasones HFIs/PRO

Wait for M100 V-Moda

Cheerz!

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Thanks for the input guys. I don’t have an amp, but a lot of people have commented on the fact that the K550 is easily driven…

…so I plug them straight into my laptop. I plan on getting a fiio e17 soon, but I don’t think it will make a difference. I tested these phones on my FLAC collection but they still lacked bass and warmth.

I was using the Superlux HD681 before these and they were absolutely perfect. I want a sound similar to them – bassy while still being tuneful and clear. The k550’s are way too neutral for me. I really find them to be uninvolving for movies as well (lacks warmth, everything sounds hollow). For classical music, I’m sure they’re exceptional, but they don’t tick the right boxes for films, games and listening to other genres like hip hop, jazz and even rock. For people that desire that neutral, clear sound they are flawless but I need something that is fun, vibrant and resonates deeply.

It’s my own fault anyway. I should have researched more carefully. Neutral headphones are not for me. I'm going to return these and get either the DT770 or m50.

Well driving anything from your laptop will make it sound a definitely more scratchy and crappy than it is.
What laptop do you have?? Apple ones are meant to be the best thing invented since sliced bread and no doubt apple fanboys proclaim the headphone output of their macs crush many external amps and dacs. BS? Has to be.....or maybe not....couldn't care less. Disgusting company.

Anyway, if you have a normal laptop and live on earth, even for complete non audiophiles a laptop headphone output isn't really the way to go. Before I even KNEW, yes knew that headphones more expensive than £20 existed I was dissapointed with how my (probably fake) senn cx300 earbuds performed from my dell laptop. Too much computer generated interference noises, hummings, clicks and pops, not to mention music sounding noticably more smooth and bassy out of my sansa fuze. Remember, these are senn cx300 were talking about. In my experience (5 laptops in last 3 years) it's harsh to judge a $300 headphone based on the headphone output REGARDLESS of what headphone it is. Remember, the uber crap senn cx300 wanted a better source. So too would even stuff by beats by dre. Bose. Oh, and of course, these 'audiophile' headphones by beyer/akg/fostex/denon/modders/sennheiser/.....would really need at least a half of a half decent source to sing.

I've said what I've said above unrelated to the k550, as I reckon this akg won't do it for you no matter which source, amp, dac you throw at it. I guess you've played around with fit (so that it isolates and you've got a seal) and a bit of burn in is always good practice (a few days). A dt770 would sound more hollow than the k550. An m50 might be what you're looking for as too might be a shure 840. 
Have fun with this hobby, but please don't join the group of 'a laptop headphone output is enough'. I mean the 'rebellious' if you like say you need no more than an amp/dac that measures well like the O2/ODAC and even they pretty unanimously accept that a laptop headphone output just isn't a clever idea for multi hundred dollar headphones.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #26 of 46
Just my 2 cents (and I'm new a newbie)... I was happy with K550 as my first 'good' headphone (besides an old AKG) paired with the D1 dac/amp, but was also a little disappointed in the bass overall, just didn't have the quantity at low volumes that I was looking for... nor the impact except on bass heavy songs... Well, I just got an old Sherwood receiver from 1981 I think, and using it as my amp with the D1 provides exactly what I was looking for, and the bass is strong, balanced at any level, and makes a hard impact when turned up... Which makes me think that these might not be so 'easily driven' as is claimed. Yes, they sound great with the D1 (NOT with my computer out) but really seem to shine with more power than the D1 gives. I.e. while they sound good even out of an IPad, the bass seems very good with more power, does this make sense?

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #28 of 46

I have both the Superlux 681 and the AKG K550,, and i consider the bass from K550 far better than the 681. The 681 has even les bass that the Samson sr850 (also made by Superlux). I thing you have a problem of sealing, as, once the K550 is properly placed over your ears, the bass, without being a basshead favorite, is very well done, without bloating or bleeding.

If you want a lot of bass,, may be the K550 is not your can and you should look elsewhere (M-Audio Q40, ultrasones, or in the cheap side XB Sony series), but, if you want an accurate, natural and present bass,, K550 is a very good option

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #29 of 46
Maybe try the AKG167, it is supposed to be very musical while having more bass and it looks like it will be able to driven straight from your laptop and will leave room for improvement and growth by adding an amp down the road.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:
well the k550s have bass, its just more of a tight controlled bass than alot of other headphones

Just sidetracking a little bit here, but how would you compare the bass of k550s VS the k701/702 ? Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back