disappointed with Surefire
Aug 31, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #31 of 54
I'm getting interested in the Osram Diamond Dragon LED. Supposed to be high output with crazy throw. Osram's crappy binning policies keeps me from ever considering them for a DIY project, though. I don't want to buy them by the thousand.

-Ed

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #32 of 54
My feelings are really mixed about surefire now. I used to be fascinated by the performance of their lights, but now with leds really taking off they have fallen behind. Their most impressive lights have been put on hold or something. I see they are still selling models from several years go while other companies are releasing stuff that's using the latest leds.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #34 of 54
Well, manufacturers should rate LEDs using both metrics. Wattage being a measure of how much power it uses, or at least it was designed to run at. Generally for LEDs, the higher the wattage, the better, even if you are driving it at a lower voltage. This leads to more efficiency. That said, the cheaper brands usually say things in watts which usually means nothing to how bright it is. Lumens is the actual measurement of how bright the light is, not at just a point but overall. Bottom line, look for lumens in relation to battery life at that lumen level.

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #35 of 54
I've never really been super impressed by Surefire. I've never owned, but I have used their lights on quite a few occasions. Build quality just doesn't seem up to par as say Novatac or Nitecore

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #36 of 54
Fenix P3D here. blindingly bright, and gets reasonably good battery life from two 3v lithiums.

KWkarth -- we meet again! how much is that small-die led light that you got last year?

Best,

Mark

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 54
I'm pretty happy with my M6 and M3T.

But they are both modded.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by csommers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never really been super impressed by Surefire. I've never owned, but I have used their lights on quite a few occasions. Build quality just doesn't seem up to par as say Novatac or Nitecore

Different experience here. My E2L is about as well machined and assembled as any mass produced item I've used. Build quality is certainly better than my Nitecore D10 and EX10. Only real complaint there is that the anodizing isn't up the same level as my Fenix P3D and T1, but I could say the same about my Ra Twisty and any number of Benchmades.

A bigger complaint with Surefire for me is the P60 LED module. Pretty junky, especially for the price Surefire charges. Course, there's always Malkoff.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #39 of 54
I like Nitecore lights. They are a bit cheaper than Surefire, they have been very reliable with good build quality. So I'm going to buy their new Nitecore EZ AA.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fenix P3D here. blindingly bright, and gets reasonably good battery life from two 3v lithiums.

KWkarth -- we meet again! how much is that small-die led light that you got last year?

Best,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Looks like the EX10 is going for 59 or 63 bux depending upon which led you want. The current standard one is $59 and uses a Cree XR-E Q5 WC w/130 lumens at maximum output.

The other offering is $63 and uses a Cree R2 w/145 lumens at maximum output rating.

I don't see the Golden Dragon offering any more. As I recall, it was rated at 130 lumens max. It's still going strong.

4Sevens.Com

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #45 of 54
I've had a lot of fenix's and surefires and my favorite by far the E2D LED Surefire. It has fantastic output, dual stage, can stand on it's tail, can be used (sort of) as a self defense tool. Best flashlight I've ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back