Disappointed with er-6i's, what next?
Jan 24, 2006 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

roybatty

New Head-Fier
Got these for use with my iaudio U3 at the gym, plugged 'em in, and asked "Where'd all the sound go?" Lack of bass, lost vocals, and thin highs made these a major disappointment. After a couple of tries, actually went back to the stock earbuds Cowon ships with the unit, that's how much I hated the ety's. Thankfully, my wife liked 'em just fine, so they won't go wasted.

After reading numerous threads here, it seems like my choices are either move up to e4c's, or try e3c's or UM1's. The e4c's are more than I want to spend, and I am strongly considering treating myself, but I don't want to be disappointed again either, especially for that much money.

My questions -

Do I really want IEM's? I seriously loved the isolation at the gym (where 90% of my listening happens), which is loud. And I did find them very comfortable. But, I hated the cord noise and the sound of my heart beating. Switching from the flanges to the foam tips seemed to improve these problems, and though I never got around to trying the shirt clip as well, think it might help too. Will the shure's have the same issues? Better, same or worse? I want to like IEM's...

If not, then what else should I consider? I listen to mostly rock, pop, alternative, and post punk, and I need decent bass performance, but I think my issues with the ety's went beyond bass and into their overall sound, which just felt thin. When I plugged the Cowon earbuds back in, I discovered the volume was cranked, most likely to compensate for what I felt was missing in the ety's.

Any advice much appreciated.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 16
Whats the next thing you should do?, um get a good seal with the Ety's! They are not at all dissapointing if a good seal is achieved. They may not be to your liking but they are not dissapointing and bass is phenominal.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 16
Gym use really puts a beating on IEM's, with all that sweat gathering up in the foamies, and the filters. They are really good for the load environment though!

Look into the Shure E4c's, they will be much better in the bass region, plus have some very good detail!
etysmile.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 16
I kind of suspect that you don't have a proper seal. You really need to stuff etys into your ear as far as you can or else you'll get a thin sound, although that won't solve the microphonics issue.

If the er6i doesn't work out, I'd suggest the um1. It has pretty good bass and microphonics aren't an issue. It sounds like you're looking for a warmer sound with good bass so stay away from the somewhat cold and sterile-sounding e4c.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 16
Well, I'm going to jam these in my ears one more time, but I thought I had a good seal. Outside noise was really blocked out, they felt comfortable, and I really pushed 'em in. What the heck, one more try is free, anyway...

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by roybatty
Well, I'm going to jam these in my ears one more time, but I thought I had a good seal. Outside noise was really blocked out, they felt comfortable, and I really pushed 'em in. What the heck, one more try is free, anyway...

Did you try the foam tips? Really stick them in there.
The ER6i's aren't bassy, but they should sound balanced and clear.

If they don't work out, the next step is to go to a dual driver model like the Superfi 5. I would not bother with the UM1, E3, all of which have their own (annoying IMO) set of flaws.

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I would not bother with the UM1, E3, all of which have their own (annoying IMO) set of flaws.

You can say this about any headphone.

I personally think the UM1 is the best compromise in terms of sound, comfort, and durability for single driver earphone, but warpdriver makes a good suggestion if you're willing to spend $200.

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 16
Well, though they haven't been gym tested, I need to eat some crow here. Wetting the foam, pulling back the ear made a significant difference - this is what I was expecting. However, I still have to buy another pair, because I gave these to my wife!

So, the next question is, another pair of these, a pair of UM1's, or the leap in price to the e4c's or superfi 5's?

If I make the leap, Warpdriver, do you prefer the 5's for my type of listening, and if so, why?

And if I stay at this price, why is cord noise (microphonics, right?) not an issue with the UM1's? It also seem to be not an issue (though not gym tested) with the foam tips on the ety's. I gues the question really is, then, e6i or UM1?

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Well, though they haven't been gym tested, I need to eat some crow here. Wetting the foam, pulling back the ear made a significant difference - this is what I was expecting. However, I still have to buy another pair, because I gave these to my wife!

So, the next question is, another pair of these, a pair of UM1's, or the leap in price to the e4c's or superfi 5's?

If I make the leap, Warpdriver, do you prefer the 5's for my type of listening, and if so, why?

And if I stay at this price, why is cord noise (microphonics, right?) not an issue with the UM1's? It also seem to be not an issue (though not gym tested) with the foam tips on the ety's. I gues the question really is, then, e6i or UM1?

The um1 is designed so that the cord wraps up and over your ear. This basically eliminates cord noise.

I like the sound of the er6i better because it has a wider soundstage, is more balanced, and is a bit more detailed, but the UM1 has a warmer sound, which is great for rock, has more bass, better comfort, and less cord noise. Sound is really a matter of preference so your choice may depend on these other factors.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

The UM1 is supposed to be worn with the cord behind the ears, which dampens the cord noise. You can do the "wrap the cord behind the ear trick" with the ER6i's too. Definitely use the clip if you can.

The UM1 is a much warmer sounding earphone, a bit bassier, but also more subdued in the treble. If you find the ER6i to be too bright, then the UM1 might be a better bet.

The Superfi 5 is a warm, rich, bassy, very full sounding earphone with a polite sounding treble. If you are still finding the ER6i too shrill and lacking impact, that would be the next logical step.

It's all about compromises, which compromises are you willing to make. With these types of earphones, they all tend to make noticeable compromises when it comes to frequency response until you get to the $300+ ones. For the gym, you may not want to spend that much, and since it sounds like you finally got a good seal, maybe you should stick to the cheaper ER6i rather than spend bigger bucks on the Superfi 5.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 16
Are we talkig about the same er6i?
I can admit that you find it lacking in bass, but saying that there's no vocals? I mean, etys have a lot of detail, so that's a bit strange. Are you putting them properly? With the foamies or/and with the tri-flanges?

I really find that strange, but It's perfectly possible you are able to not like them.

In any case, moving up I'd consider um2s or e4cs but they both go behind the ear. Besides the etys, almost all the good iems go behind the ear.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennuggets
that sucks. i was about 99% decided on the er6i's, then i read this thread. now what?
confused.gif

Well, I'd give them a try. As others have pointed out, getting them situated in the ear properly is the key to them sounding good. You need to gently pull your earlobe down as you instert with the other hand, giving about a quarter turn to insert, then release the earlobe. This will generally result in a good seal. Bass should be solid, but not heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back