Disappointed with AKG K451 - looking for alternatives
Jul 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Miklos

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I really enjoy my Sennheiser HD 201 (and I know they are not considered really good by many - I found them ok for home use). But they are a bit big in some cases. So I decided about two weeks ago, that I would like to upgrade to a smaller - closed, on ear headphone.

I did some research and ended up ordering the AKG K451 from Amazon.

The cans arrived yesterday.... and in was in for a shock: they sound horrible! The complete lack of treble makes any kind of listening very disappointing.

They cost 3-4x more than the HD201 - but the sound they produce is worse than pretty much anything I have heard before. The HD201 sounds like a $1000 headphone compared to the AKG.

Anyway: I will try to burn them in - but I do not think they will be anything close to the HD201.

So: what options would I have:
- over the ear
- closed
- better sounding than HD201
- not outrageously expensive?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 3
I think I read somewhere that there have been fakes going around of that headphone, maybe you should return the pair you got and report the seller. At least it is something to look into

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the reply. You are right - there seem to be fakes out there. However, I got this from Amazon (the seller is Amazon itself). I already contacted them and they confirmed that they are 100% sure that these are legitimate products as they got them from the manufacturer.

I also did some research and it seems others had the same problem with legit AKG K451 cans

The problem is that I am in Canada - I got it from Amazon in the UK. They offered a full refund - but sending them back can cost me $50 or more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back