Disappointed in stock Sennheiser HD580
May 16, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 48
I think they might be picky about amp and source pairing. They sound okay in my setup(great on certain albums: Bowie's "Heroes", Radiohead's "In Rainbows, and both Feist albums,...).

I tried them out on a Arcam CD73 with my LD at a dealer the other day and that setup really seemed to open the cans up as well as compliment their detailed presentation. It was too much for my sr325 though.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also recommend the DT880s. I listened to the 580 and had much the same reaction you have had, and I purchased the DT880 and loved them.

My musical tastes have changed significantly since then and I'm looking more toward the AD2000 now, however. I like the DT880s a lot, and will probably buy another set, but I'm wanting to listen to different things now.

I think you would like the ATH-AD2000. I had a pair and my friend that loves his DT880 05s like the AD200s a bunch as well.

May 16, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #20 of 48
i find my HD-580s amped on a pimeta only sound good off my pc with bitmatched sound or they just fatigue me.. as-well if they are unamped they just sound sort of weak.

but with this combo i really do like them.

May 16, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #22 of 48
Welcome to the club.

They sound very good when played out of great amps...anything less is just plain bad.

I can't stand the veil. I keep trying to like Senns - I really do try!
They just do not do it for me. The realism isn't there because the overtones aren't.

May 16, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #23 of 48
well having owned the 580s and trying different mods, cable, Woodies, foam removed...i say the 580s dont really excel at anything, just good overall.

What are you using as a amp? What is the source?

May 16, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #24 of 48
i guess it's just a matter of preference here. i used to have the hd600 with cardas and loved them to death, while my roommate prefered every other thing i had (sf5pro, er4s, sr225) over them.

May 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #25 of 48
Thanks for all the responses!

Answering some of your questions....580s are burned in, have not tried the foam mod, using Meier Corda Opera amp w/DAC as the amp, playing mostly from laptop thru the DAC or from D2 through the Opera. Had them for three weeks now, listening primarily to the Senns to give them a chance.

Like many here have suggested, must be the Sennheiser sound, or at least the 580 signature, is not for me.
frown.gif

I'll listen for a bit longer but sadly, I think it is time to let them go.

May 16, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the responses!

Answering some of your questions....580s are burned in, have not tried the foam mod, using Meier Corda Opera amp w/DAC as the amp, playing mostly from laptop thru the DAC or from D2 through the Opera. Had them for three weeks now, listening primarily to the Senns to give them a chance.

Like many here have suggested, must be the Sennheiser sound, or at least the 580 signature, is not for me.
frown.gif

I'll listen for a bit longer but sadly, I think it is time to let them go.

This sounds like your setup should've been adequate, so it might be correct to say you don't like the sound.

I love the 580's, but I don't like them with the standard cable. They ovbiously under-perform in highs and clarity compared to more updated, high-end headphones. For instance, not many stay with the original cable on an HD600 - it's the same one. The 580 is even worse because it's not quite as open with the different grilles.

Before giving up, order an HD650 cable from Senn-USA. It's only $11 or so, plus a bit for shipping, and can make a world of difference. They really are different headphones with a better cable.

May 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #28 of 48
Hi Aimless,

You've just described what one feels when listening to neutral sound. Neutral is not average, nor regular, nor colored or enhanced in any ways. You listen something that's closer to what was recorded, so you can notice that the cans do well with anything, they really don't "suck" with some genres or recordings, but the tradeoff of that character is that sound isn't amazing either. Other very good cans have a similar effect, the R10 and some electrostatics sound that way too.

It takes some time to get accostumed to that sound. Also a good amp and good source help a lot to get a better "musical immersion" using the HD600, but you'd still be having that neutral character, which if weren't of your liking, wouldn't make you happy.

To my ears the HD600 don't sound veiled either, I'd use that qualification for the HD650 which sound a bit darker for the enhanced bass.

It's all a matter of personal preferences and what allows you to enjoy better your music. If you need some "color" or whatever to feel more connected to you music, there's nothing wrong with that, get what makes you happy
wink.gif

Rgrds

May 16, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #29 of 48
Cool Torpedo X2.

Words of wisdom.........

May 16, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #30 of 48
Indeed words of wisdom from Torpedo.
My fun headphone is de DT 770 Pro with the K271 earpads. They're not neutral at all, but have a toetapping quality that my other phones lack.
When I want to enjoy well recorded music, going for details, soundstage etc., I'll pick my K400.

Edit on June 26th: I have the HD 580 now, and I do like them very much.
These are neutral and musical at the same time.
DT770 pro is gone, too much bass in the end.
I'm glad I bought the HD 580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back