Disappointed by the V6, suggestions?
Mar 25, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
I think we probably agree -- it's not weak, but it's not good either -- is that more accurate?

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. It's got impact, but not really tight and deep. With the SR80 you're hearing a lot of upper bass and feeling it, too. Which isn't to say it sounds bad, by the way...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
Um, where? Here? I don't think that counts. However, in checking out the accuracy of your statement I did find several threads that included comments about how strong the bass was, including this thread that you participated in where the SR-80 (which I believe I was specifically speaking of) is described as having too much bass.

The headroom description of these headphones says they offer "good bass". Are they wrong?

Is it weak, or not? That's what we were speaking of. Neither he nor I said anything about flatness or deepness. The very fact that he doesn't like the V6 possibly indicates that deep and flat bass isn't what he is interested in.

I think we probably agree -- it's not weak, but it's not good either -- is that more accurate?

I suppose we're really talking about semantics. I would certainly characterize Grados as having weak bass, especially compared to the V6's (which are my current headphone of choice, I'm listening to them through my 570 with a Beequeen cd right now).

The Grado impact people refer to is a mid-bass hump that seems to be tuned a little too high, because it misses the 'thump' that rock kick drums make. Grados offer mid and high details galore, but punch up the treble to unacceptable levels for my ears. But the bass that I was looking for when I owned the 225's (briefly) simply was not there. Yes, the V6's are in many ways inferior in terms of soundstage and overall detail, but the fact that I traded away the 225's and I am now a happy owner of the V6's means something.

I listen primarily to rock and experimental music that has no real soundstage and utilizes low bass frequencies for psychological impact, so the V6's are a perfect pairing for my tastes. As always, your own ears should be the judge of what is right for you.

Mar 25, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #18 of 30
OKAY, I RETRACT MOST OF THE NEGATIVE STATEMENTS I SAID ABOUT THE V6! I dont know if im just gettin use to them or if its the 25+ hours of burn-in i've put on em but man, they're startin to sound good now. The bass is incredible. Very deep. This is the first time i've experienced good bass definition from a headphone. I found myself looking for tracks w/ good, deep bass just so i can feel the bass (kinda like the first time you got a good sub-woofer). Impressive. Although they still sound closed, they have opened up some. And the detail and clarity they're puttin out is makin it harder and harder to go back to the old denons. Unfortunately, i finally experienced that analytical trait that the V6 is so famous for. Clicks and pops kept coming up everyonce in a while on this not so well recorded CD, kind of ruining the moment of audio enjoyment. I have to say that im sorry for judging the V6's so quickly without proper burn-in and extended listening, i guess i was just too eager to be blown away. The 280s are definately back in the race, but I still want a bigger sound stage. Man if i only had more money
wink.gif
I'll probably still buy the 497s since they cost half of the 280s, and im a broke college student. Hopefully the 280's will start droppin in price soon so i can get a pair of those too (im not in much of a hurry anways).
As for the Grados, I was lookin for headphones several months ago and read some posts on the sr-60. A lot of people mentioned the weak bass (and yes there were some that said the bass was adequate) and that the bass trait also held true for the sr-80. This is entirely from memory so I may be a little off, but that was what i was left with when i stopped searching. After that I just scratched the grados off my list and now, after researching about 5 other headphones, im just too tired to read up on the grados again. From what Ive read on this tread, they seem to have punchy upper bass, but dont extend very low.

deS - before I make a final desicion, i just wanna ask u a couple of questions since u seem to own or had listened to the V6, 497, and 280. How would u compare the soundstage and bass of the 3 phones? Is the 497s soundstage much bigger than the 280 and the V6 since its an open phone? Does the 280's bass extend as deep as the V6 and is the 497's bass even comparable?

Mar 25, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #19 of 30
I am with DeS on this one.
Had a chance to compare HD 280 and a pair of V 7506 last weekend for about half an hour at home. Yes, one can say that they have something in common especially when it comes to deep bass and resolving layers of music (analytical some may say).
However, there are several areas where the 7506 are badly beaten by the Senns. First of all the midrange. Changing from the 280s to the 7506s immediately reveals their lack of midrange. Vocals sound distant and even nasal sometimes. Second is the treble. The Senns treble is a lot more refined and smooth but without any noticable roll off. V 7506 sounded harsh more than once, even with recordings that are not excessively bright. The soundstage of the Senns is broader and not at all bad for a closed phone.
All in all I have to say that HD 280 is a better phone. Well, it better be since it costs some 25-30% more than V6 (but about as much as 7506).

Mar 25, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #20 of 30
Ahdat---

I have all 3 phones and each sees at least a few hours of play per week! Wouldn't want em to feel neglected....
smily_headphones1.gif

Soundstage: V6 is the smallest. 497 and 280 are fairly similar to each other, much more expansive than the V6. The 497 would ordinarily be expected to have the biggest soundstage, but I think the careful design of the 280 and the cheaper price point of the 497 cancel out the expected advantage and produce a fairly similar sound stage from each.

Bass: 280 is king, lower extension than the V6, which is remarkable. 280 also does better on sustained deep bass and conveys a better articulation even at very low freqs. The 280 for instance is probably the best headphone for tracking bass guitar playing in detail and also sounds excellent with electronica. The bass on the V6 is exceptional compared to most headphones, but is trumped by the 280 for the reasons stated. Finally, the 497 has the least bass of the three, but is still more than fine for an inexpensive open design, and is much superior to the SR60 for instance.

I think Blr is correct---midrange on the 280 is better done than on V6, and this contributes to the overall "musicality" perception especially with vocals and acoustic sounds, which are big stumbling blocks for the V6.

Ahdat. if you like the V6 more as you listen to it, you might want to get the 497s as this will give you two phones with different sonic profiles. Buying the 280s will cost you say $80-100, and then you'll pretty much not want to listen to the V6 anymore, so you'll have spent roughly $150 and gotten one pair of usable phones. If you get the 497s, you'll spend say $120 and have two phones that can be used for different purposes. If you only wanted one set of phones out of the 3, I'd say get the 280s, but with the V6s already bought and not that hateful to you, I say getting the 497s makes more sense.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #21 of 30
gah! u guys r makin my life really really hard
wink.gif
Okay im goin with the 280s. Luckily Fry's got one of the greatest return policies out there (half the stuff in the stores are returns) , so the V6s are goin back to the store (free burn-in to the lucky buyer!) The way the 497s are described make em feel like they'll fall apart in a couple of years, and i dont plan on buyin new ones for a long time. thanks for all your help

Mar 26, 2002 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 30
The V6 is a great value if you like the sound. It's unfortunate that our newbie is letting himself be pushed around by a few very vocal members of the board after he had already expressed that he was beginning to enjoy the V6.

A little advice is a dangerous thing, especially when an opinion is stated as fact. Listen, and judge for yourself.

Mar 26, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #27 of 30
AI---

the V6 is a fine headphone, sturdy, and one of the best values in cans. It has a distinctive sound with some limitations, but not more so than any other headphone in its price range. It also makes a great portable and/or commuting set of phones, something that I use it for even with my preference for the 280s. "Piece of ****" is just too harsh, especially considering the relative age of the design and the way that it still holds up well 16 years after the fact.

Cajun--

hope you're not including me as one of those "very vocal" members "pushing around" ahdat.
frown.gif
I stated that I think he should keep the V6 if he likes it and get the 497 to complement it. Moreover as someone who owns and likes all three cans, I feel I was being very fair in my assessment of each. I am not on anyone's payroll (unfortunately!!
biggrin.gif
) If ahdat only wants one headphone and feels the 280s will serve better based on opinions of other users, I don't think he's being "pushed around". Not everyone wants a stable of headphones (though I don't know why they wouldn't..
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Also, I don't think any proponent of the 280s claims to offer opinion disguised as fact. It is obvious that V6 criticism/280 praise is subjective opinion. That's the point of this forum, no??
confused.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #28 of 30
well, i dont think that i was being 'pushed around' by anyone. Although I liked the V6s bass and clarity, I just couldn't shake that 'closed' feeling that it offered, so i never really planned on keeping it. I also noticed that the vocals seemed distant compared to my other phones. My choice for the 280 was because a couple of members on this forum seem to think that they were similar to the v6 except that they alleiviated the problems that i mentioned. The purchase of the V6 was more of a 'what do audiophile cans really got to offer?'. But I am still a little cautious on purchasing the 280 and will probably wait another month so i can read more opinions on the phones. Like i said, im in no rush.

Mar 26, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 30
many consumer headphones are forgiving of poor sources. some of the higher end sony cans i have seem to eq out the tinny aspects of digital music. the v6 is the least forgiving phone i have. if i have a poor digital recording or bad source (which never happens
biggrin.gif
) the v6 does not cover it up like some other phones do. i'm not bashing other cans, the v6 or the digital format. this is just my impression. this quality of the v6 has a lot to do with the fact they are pro cans (well, the 7506 is--it's the same headphone). on a good analog source much of "bright" or "harsh" descriptions of the v6 simply no longer apply.

Mar 27, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #30 of 30
I find the biggest difference of it all for these cans
is the amp

you need a good amp

that's what it needs.

I find that portables can't do the job, I don't think they're very effecient cans at all, and they tend to be very revealing.

I hated them in fact, I used them out of my pcdp and my puter sound jack, which aren't the best sources.
then I got a total airhead and life changed,
deeper fuller bass, more spaceous midrange and it mixed in with the exaggerated treble quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back