disappointed by high-end open headphones, what's next?
Oct 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

customcoco

Headphoneus Supremus
I've heard some of the most praised open headphones: O2, GS1000i, PS1000 (not so praised, I know), hd800...

each time with a great set up: (esoteric cd player and luxman amps for the hd800 and the grados, dcs puccini and srm727 for the O2)

these headphones are my only experiences with high-end audio, and I have been rather disappointed by them.

I've liked the gs1000i, especially its soundstage and its somewhat more "romantic" sound signature. I hated the hd800, I've found it overly bright and thin sounding...

the O2 left me unimpressed at best, I just don't see (well hear) what's so special about them...

what should I do then? try to find another type of sound signature? get out of this hobby?

well, I haven't tried any high-end closed can to this day exception made of the d7000 wich I hated even more than the hd800 for exact same reasons...

should I try closed back cans then? what cans; dx1000, ath woodies?

any help will be greatly appreciated...

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 21
I've heard that the lcd-2 is pretty similar in signature to the o2s...

thunderpants maybe?

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 21
 Try the LCD-3 :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 21
Easy fix: Convert to speakers and drop head-fi. :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 21
Ultrasone Edition 8. Forget open, try closed : ) A lot of people prefer them to these open high-end cans because they are just so much FUN! They are liquid audio bliss, IMO. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 21

You can try to find some ATH woodies. They are certainly more intimate sounding (the most romantic sounding headphones IMO) than open headphones, but the sound between each ATH woodies vary a lot. You would have to research more. I have a review of various models.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 21
Oct 29, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 21

I personally love the LCD2s and can recommend them to just about anyone as a great headfi can for all genres, but then again I also love the Stax O2s. 

But, if you liked the GS1000i, why not stick with it?

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 21
great question.... those headphones (the ones I mentioned) are the only high end experiences i've ever had... I want to try new things I guess. 

about the lcd-2, would you say that they're different than the o2s or among the same lines?

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
great question.... those headphones (the ones I mentioned) are the only high end experiences i've ever had... I want to try new things I guess. 

about the lcd-2, would you say that they're different than the o2s or among the same lines?

Different but not stark contrast. More bottom end on the LCD2s, though I find the O2s more exciting, detailed, expressive (whatever that means). I'm not in a place to go into extensive detail though, as the O2s are new for me, and I don't have an amp for them currently to A/B (sad, I know, I had one on loan for a bit when I bought them, now I'm just putting money towards a nice amp, in the meantime, can't use them).

My comment about the GS1000is is just a question of "If it isn't broken, why fix it?" especially after such disdain for other well regarded cans, this one seems to please you, it seems like it may be a bit of a fool's errand to find another one when you have one that you like.

Anyways, if you're brave and can afford it, try out the Ultrasone ED8s for closed, and LCD2s for open as your last ditch efforts on headfi. Or perhaps experiment with other amps.

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 21

You haven't made clear exactly what you are looking for in a headphone in the general sense..

If your requirements lie in the area of more sound stage and bass that you can feel and hear.

I recommend a new hobby.

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 21

Regarding the Luxman amps ~ are you talking about the P-1u?

That amp is an oddity, clearly meant for the high end and yet it fails to impress time and time again.

Lehmann and Violectric offer more synergy and drive with the HD800, for a lot less money $$.

The Lehmann BCL + HD800 is still the benchmark for me, Sennheiser use them on tradeshow
stands and it shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back