Disappointed at sennheiser IE 80!!!!!
May 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Amrutayan

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Its been 10 days i have bought my new IE 80 but i am totally disappointed with bass tuning functionality of it.As i am unable to predict any significance of change in sound irrespective of whether you set its position to minimum or maximum adjustment level.

So i have contacted Sennheiser service center....and the technician told me to bring all the accessories so that he can request for a new replacement.So i did the same and they told it will take some around 10 days to process it.

Few days after when i asked them for the update they told me that your IE 80 is working perfectly.........and they are saying you can experience the bass tuning function if you listen to at least 320 bits/sec audio quality.....!!!!

So finally they are saying me that they will open a new pack of IE 80 in front of me and compare sound quality with my IE 80....so which ever i will find good...i can take that one!!!! but here i am getting messed up...whether the bass tuning function really works or not????

So could any one from here please let me know how is bass tuning function of IE 80?

Is it easily notifiable?

or we need some good sound source to experience the bass tuning function?

I really appreciate your reply..:)

May 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 58
you can set the bass on the left side to the max and set the lowest bass on the right side. if the left side gives more bass this means that the bass tuning is working properly.

May 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 58
yes i have the ie80.  now that you mention it about the bass tuning mine also didnt have much impact when i try it

May 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 58
Others also reported no or hardly any difference in bass from the dial adjustment, BUT to my ears there is apparent difference in sub bass between the max and min. I can't stand anything more than the minimum. Does this mean I have the golden ears or faulty IE80?

May 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 58
I tried the bass tuning again with my ipod touch and this time i can hear the difference. I think it also deppend on the source because when i try the bass tuning with the studio v theres not much effect but with ipod theres definitely an effect in the sub bass

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 58
Oh dear... Did you upgrade from the prev gen IE8s?

The bass tuning is not the most sensitive of adjustments, but I do notice a difference when twiddling with it regardless of source or source file (iPhone or Audio Gd NFB 5, internet radio at 160kbps or 192/96 files).

Just be gentle. Had a friend who knackered the tiny knob in his haste to get the bass right.

Hope that helps.

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 58
Thanks a lot to all for their input:)

Rite now i am taking my words back....that what i have claimed on Sennheiser IE 80.

Today i am extremaly happy with my Sennheiser IE 80:)

As today i had an experience with Shure se 535 and in this war my IE 80 is a complete winner over Shure se 535.

As per my experiance::

Sound stage:: IE 80 is a crystal clear winner.                                                                                    

Bass:: IE 80 has more bass and that is to be very warmer and smoother than shure.      

Mid::I found it equal.

Sparkling treable::IE 80 is a winner.

So cheers up...for IE 80.

Thanks.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 58
Thanks a lot to all for their input:)

Rite now i am taking my words back....that what i have claimed on Sennheiser IE 80.

Today i am extremaly happy with my Sennheiser IE 80:)

As today i had an experience with Shure se 535 and in this war my IE 80 is a complete winner over Shure se 535.

As per my experiance::

Sound stage:: IE 80 is a crystal clear winner.                                                                                    

Bass:: IE 80 has more bass and that is to be very warmer and smoother than shure.      

Mid::I found it equal.

Sparkling treable::IE 80 is a winner.

So cheers up...for IE 80.

Thanks.

Now that is something I've been wanting to hear for quite a while! The 535s have always been a benchmark and it's good to hear that the IE80s are doing a better job.

Am frankly surprised about the treble. Guess the IE8s must be quite a bit behind their successor since the IE8s were slightly veiled when compared with them shures...

Congrats anyhow on your new purchase. How much were they for again if I might ask?

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:
Now that is something I've been wanting to hear for quite a while! The 535s have always been a benchmark and it's good to hear that the IE80s are doing a better job.
Am frankly surprised about the treble. Guess the IE8s must be quite a bit behind their successor since the IE8s were slightly veiled when compared with them shures...
Congrats anyhow on your new purchase. How much were they for again if I might ask?

Actually I heard it the total opposite, except for the bass. The 535 destroys the IE80 in mids and treble. Clarity is a no-contest win for the 535. More importantly, the 535 doesn't have the veil that the IE80 does. This veil gets worse each step up you turn the bass knob. This is from A/Bing the two side by side on the same songs.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 58
Actually I heard it the total opposite, except for the bass. The 535 destroys the IE80 in mids and treble. Clarity is a no-contest win for the 535. More importantly, the 535 doesn't have the veil that the IE80 does. This veil gets worse each step up you turn the bass knob. This is from A/Bing the two side by side on the same songs.

Oh dear *reality slowly sinks in*...

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 58
Well we all do hear thing differently lol. I was very disappointed in the Shures. I even considered the IE7s better than them. The only thing nice about the Shures was its mid range IMO and the IE7 was still better in that department. The Shure over exaggerated the mid-range while the IE7 did it in a nice way. The IE80s treble is very silky-smooth and well extended. I don't hear it as veiled at all. Now on the IE8 that is a different story, you needed EQ to find any sort of balance with them due to the excessive mid-bass hump. The IE80 bass reaches lower and deeper than the Shure. The Silver cable also has improved the IE80. I think the new Shure's have a removable cable so I'd be curious to hear it with an upgraded cable. I generally prefer Dynamics to BA TBH. Even my Custom TF10s don't touch my IE80s.

BTW lightingfarron how do you like your IE80 paired to your Studio V? I find them to be a very nice pairing. I just wish the  Studio V didn't have the hiss. The Rocoo BA does address that for the most part though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back