Disappointed at sennheiser IE 80!!!!!
May 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #31 of 58
I received my IE80. I already have a pair of Shure SE535. I bought the IE80 to have bass and maximum soundstage.

The first thing I noticed is the random inclusion of tips. I was shocked to find out they are not delivered in pairs. The thick olive tip only has one icluded. Another layered tip only has one. And a third one also is missing it's other tip.

I began testing the IE80. The soundstage is quite good. It is wide, as promised. The mids are weak. The worst thing is that there is no bass whatsoever. The claim that Sennheiser IEMs'are "bassheads" does not apply to this one. It might be sub-bass, but (with all do respect) that's just a name for me and I simply do not hear a strong and punchy bass at all. It sounds extremely light and treble. I tried different types of music, both detailed and very bass-heavy music. There simply was no bass at all. I did the bass-tuning. There is a slight difference, but it's extremely overrated. They might as well turn the bass all to the max by default. It would still not suffice for it's task.

I A/B tested the IE80 with the SE535. The SE535 annihilates the IE80 in all departments, except soundstage. Even though the SE535 is known for it's lack of bass, on a good setup, I do not experience more bass coming out of the IE80. It's just not there.

I am very disappointed and will return or sell the IE80 IEM. I expected so much from the IE80. I'll stick with my SE535 for now. For anyone who wants to have an affordable IEM with good soundstage, this might be a good choice. But if you need bass or decent mids, spend your money on another product.

May 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:
The first thing I noticed is the random inclusion of tips. I was shocked to find out they are not delivered in pairs. The thick olive tip only has one icluded. Another layered tip only has one. And a third one also is missing it's other tip.

That screams "fakes."

May 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #33 of 58
Where did you buy them and for how much money?

May 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #35 of 58
Then the only explanation for the mismatched tips is that it was an open-box item or store return. Who knows if some scoundrel bought it, replaced it with a fake, and returned the fake.

May 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #36 of 58
Then you don't have a seal - or they are defective. There are a number of IE80 detractors, but one thing we can all agree on is there is not a lack of bass coming out of those little monsters. If you can't hear bass - there is something wrong.

May 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:
Then you don't have a seal - or they are defective. There are a number of IE80 detractors, but one thing we can all agree on is there is not a lack of bass coming out of those little monsters. If you can't hear bass - there is something wrong.

It has a serious lack of bass. They sound very trebled, as if I turned treble to the max through an equalizer. When I turned the bass-dial to it's max, the bass did increase but it's hardly even there.

Quote:
Then the only explanation for the mismatched tips is that it was an open-box item or store return. Who knows if some scoundrel bought it, replaced it with a fake, and returned the fake.

That could be a possibility.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #38 of 58
Hello everyone!

I have a question about my Sennheiser IE 80.

I listen mostly to Trance and RNB with much Bass, Sound Stage and Qlarity/Details.

I would like to replace the cabel for a better sounding one, other then that original that comes along with the earphones but I dont relly know if it would effect the sound quality.
My price range is somewhere around 45$, if it's enough to improve the sound. There is many different replace cables too choose among on Ebay, it needs to be black so it fits my personal style.
I have allready loked to some cables but would be glad to get some tips about the different cables quality.

I have linked some different cabels that I have been wondering about, perhaps some of you guys have any further experience of these. Please do come with comments and more suggestions.

Many Thx Jimmy :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Night-stalker-IE8-/110574283606?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19bebdab56

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-/251287440512?pt=US_Music_Mixed_Lots_Other_Formats&hash=item3a81e60c80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-PRICE-OFC-upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-new-pins-Black-line-Good-/130932318812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7c2ca25c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IEM-Upgrade-Cable-TF10-ShureSE535-Sennheiser-IE8-Westone-JH-Audio-UE-Custom-/271144328905?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f21761ec9

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #40 of 58
Then you dont change cables much do you? I only switched my stock TripleFI cables with FiiO silver cables and the volume ALOT got higher, much improved soundstage and the sibliance that my triplefi was suffering from the stockcables was gone.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #41 of 58
Then you dont change cables much do you? I only switched my stock TripleFI cables with FiiO silver cables and the volume ALOT got higher, much improved soundstage and the sibliance that my triplefi was suffering from the stockcables was gone.
I took your advice. I changed the cable of my $30 earbuds with silver ones and now they magically sound like JH16 Pro.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #42 of 58
You should listen to more than 1000 hours to give a comment, better up to 1500 hours. It'll become a totally different earphones after more than 1000 hours running.
But mine had obvious different bass quantities when tuning at the beginning of open box.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 58
  You should listen to more than 1000 hours to give a comment, better up to 1500 hours. It'll become a totally different earphones after more than 1000 hours running.
But mine had obvious different bass quantities when tuning at the beginning of open box.

that would mean listening for one year with 6 hours music a day..  it is clearly part mental adjusting in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back