Dirty K701 pads! help!
Jul 2, 2008 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wil

1000+ Head-Fier
My AKG K701s have become a little..."used-looking". The pads are stained from constant use.

Is there any way to clean the pads without replacing them?

thanks!

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 10
The safest way to clean earpads - and the only way I clean mine - is using Woolite. Give them a good soaking than really work the velour. Rinse thoroughly and take a towel and squeeze dry them as best you can by pressing down on the earpads with the towel. Don't ring them out - just press. Then let them air dry. In front of a fan or someplace windy will dry them out much faster. Don't throw them in the dryer.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks guys.

I might be trading cans with a Darth Beyer V1 250 ohm..which is why i want to clean it up before trading it. hehe.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 99% pure alcohol, would it be a good idea to clean the pads with it?

You want to use a gentle cleaner, hence my Woolite recommendation. I don't think alcohol is a good idea but that is only a guess on my part. I have never even considered nor heard of using anything alcohol based to clean fabric.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm going to give mine a clean tonight. Don't think I've ever had a set get so dirty with what isn't a huge amount of use :O

Fingers crossed they don't wind up being doll's headphone size earpads!

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bencrest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to give mine a clean tonight. Don't think I've ever had a set get so dirty with what isn't a huge amount of use :O

Fingers crossed they don't wind up being doll's headphone size earpads!

Keep us posted on what you tried and what they ended up being...
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 10
I haven't soaked my K-701 pads (yet) but I've cleaned a few others with an overnight soak in water with a little soap. I add a little liquid soap while filling the sink and leave the pads in there for at least eight hours. Everything comes out during the soak.

Rinse through and let air dry afterwards. I've had good luck doing the same with several much-loved and very dirty baseball hats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back