Dirt Cheap Grados...
Sep 11, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #346 of 414
I don't get the deal here... Powermax has a contractual obligation to meet the pricing requirements in order to be an authorized Grado dealer. Grado finds out and cuts off shipments to Powermax because they violated their agreement, and then head-fiers whine. Basically, what you're saying, is that customer satisfaction supercedes Grados' obligation to not piss off other dealers and also make sure that Powermax doesn't break their contract. Don't think so, especially as it's not like you guys are getting robbed of any money.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #347 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
I don't get the deal here... Powermax has a contractual obligation to meet the pricing requirements in order to be an authorized Grado dealer. Grado finds out and cuts off shipments to Powermax because they violated their agreement, and then head-fiers whine. Basically, what you're saying, is that customer satisfaction supercedes Grados' obligation to not piss off other dealers and also make sure that Powermax doesn't break their contract. Don't think so, especially as it's not like you guys are getting robbed of any money.

I think that's a reasonable summary of the situation, and there might be reasons for defending Grado.

But as you said, lots of people are dissatisfied. And whenever a large number of customers are dissatisfied, I think the company should respond in some positive way. AFAIK, there has been no such thing from Grado.

At least they should email each person who bought from Powermax and explain why they are not receiving their product, etc.

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #348 of 414
I just received the following email from Powermax. It would have been nice to get a pair of RS-2s for a good price but I guess that wasn't meant to be.

--
Dear Friend of PowerMax,

We regret to inform you our relationship with Grado has ended before we were able to ship the product on your order. Accordingly, we will not be able to fill the order you placed with us.

To be frank, since we feel the issue was the result of poor business practices and communication on the part of Grado, we would like to ensure you know what happened and why, as well as make you a special offer of a one-time discount of 10% off any Bose, M-Audio or Shure headphones we carry. While these lines may or may not have some of the same features of the Grado product you were interested, we personally believe that the honorability of a company has a lot to do with the place we want to spend our dollars. We know many of you feel the same, and so we make you this offer out of gratitude of sticking by us over this last month or so, and encourage you to consider the below when making your decision on your next headphones.

Here's the story:

A number of manufacturers engage in a practice involving the setting of "MAP" (Minimum Advertised Price). The concern each manufacturer expresses regarding MAP ranges from making it a "suggestion," to rigid enforcement
by way of de-authorizing those companies who advertise a lower price. (This is sometimes the reason you don't see prices for a product on our site until you put it in the shopping cart, so they aren't "advertised" below MAP).

We aren't always aware to what extreme a particular manufacturer views its MAP policies ahead of time. Since PowerMax always strives to provide competitive prices along with our exemplary customer service, we often sell products below MAP. If a manufacturer is rather militant about its MAP pricing, they'll usually let us know.

Such is the case with Grado. We advertised their line below MAP. They advised us that we needed to sell at MAP or have our shipments suspended. We complied (albeit reluctantly, as we feel this stance is rather anti-competitive). However, most MAP policies allow for a variance to account for resellers styles of pricing. For instance, with PowerMax, we use ".88" quite a bit in our pricing, making it a kind of "signature price." So, in the case of Grado, we set the price at, for example, $94.88 on a $95 MAP. Just a twelve cent variance to align it with our pricing signature.

We were told the President of Grado threw a fit over our pricing structure and decided to "punish" us by suspending shipments for thirty days. Additionally, this was after receiving incorrect information about the shipping status of current orders (we didn't know if they were lying or are just incredibly inefficient). The most disturbing part about this action is that Grado is actually punishing its own customers. With a number of customers with the headphones on order, this thirty day "punishment" only served to deprive their own customers from purchased product, all over a twelve cent issue.

Upon further investigation and communication, we were told the "punishment" was cancelled and shipments would resume. However, that has proven to be a lie.

To be perfectly honest, we find Grado's behavior unprofessional at the least, downright rude for certain. They are a small company that makes some expensive headphones. But when we are given false information, when mutual customers are "punished" over a twelve cent issue, and the company itself is very uncommunicative and inconsistent despite their small size, well, needless to say, we're not exactly thrilled with them as a company. We think there are a lot of other excellent headphones out there, backed by reputable companies who care what their customers and resellers think about them.

As always, we're not afraid to tell our customers exactly what's going on, or what we think. That's what makes PowerMax special!

Thanks again for your patience and understanding. And we apologize for any inconvenience you have suffered. Please don't hesitate to let us know what we can do for you.
---

Happy Listening!
gs1000.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #349 of 414
Anyone who actually believes that this situation is really about the ".88" price needs to reread the first post in this thread.

I'll quote it here, in case you're too lazy to click on the "1" in the corner.

Actually, a simple glance at the title of the thread will do it too.

Best,

-Jason

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust
I'm in no was affiliated with this website, but I found it thanks to another person on this forum last week. The etailer has a really good rating from my understanding. And they happen to carry Grados for amazingly low prices. Check it out...

http://www.powermax.com/

Item # Description Price Each
a-gra-rs1 Grado Reference Series RS1 Headphones $529.88
a-gra-rs2 Grado Reference Series RS2 Headphones $379.88
a-gra-sr325 Grado Prestige SR325i Headphones $219.88
a-gra-sr225 Grado Prestige SR225 Headphones $149.88
a-gra-sr125 Grado Prestige SR125 Headphones $115.88
a-gra-sr80 Grado Prestige SR80 Headphones $69.88
ms-138163 Grado Prestige SR60 Headphones $49.88

Amazingly you can get almost the entire Grado line (minus the GS-1000 and HF-1) for $1550.01 with 2 day shipping.

Good news is they are cheaper. Bad news is for those trying to sell their used ones. Plus this company isn't a sponcer. However if they get enough business from this place they might be who knows. How I don't upset the sponcers too much.

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #350 of 414
Other dealers including a head-fi sponsor sell well under map, although not as low as Powermax did, and get away with it. Powermax raised their advertised price when Grado brought it up with them so I don't get your point? The issue does appear to be over $.12 cents.

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #351 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Anyone who actually believes that this situation is really about the ".88" price needs to reread the first post in this thread.

I'll quote it here, in case you're too lazy to click on the "1" in the corner.

Actually, a simple glance at the title of the thread will do it too.

Best,

-Jason

Read again
Quote:

Such is the case with Grado. We advertised their line below MAP. They advised us that we needed to sell at MAP or have our shipments suspended. We complied (albeit reluctantly, as we feel this stance is rather anti-competitive). However, most MAP policies allow for a variance to account for resellers styles of pricing. For instance, with PowerMax, we use ".88" quite a bit in our pricing, making it a kind of "signature price." So, in the case of Grado, we set the price at, for example, $94.88 on a $95 MAP. Just a twelve cent variance to align it with our pricing signature.

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #352 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
At least they should email each person who bought from Powermax and explain why they are not receiving their product, etc.

I think this is a good idea,
AF

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #353 of 414
Sigh, I guess you guys need it spelled out. Even on the most generous reading of the facts, they are as follows:

1. Powermax advertises well below standard Grado prices.
2. Grado demands compliance else negative reaction.
3. Powermax resets prices to near, but not MAP prices.
4. Grado suspends doing business with Powermax.

If you guys really think #4 was caused solely by #3, you're welcome to do so.

Regards,

-Jason

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #354 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
1. Powermax advertises well below standard Grado prices.

That's incorrect. Powermax never advertised that price. It was only after you went to the website and added to your cart that it would show the price.

Sep 13, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #355 of 414
That's incorrect. Powermax never advertised that price. It was only after you went to the website and added to your cart that it would show the price.

actually at the beginning they did have the low price listed. still i think this whole situation is ridiculous and unfortunate. i thought we lived in a free market society. while i understand those who want to show loyalty to grado, i find it troubling that some of those same posters are intolerant of someone trying to take advantage of a good deal, as well as a company trying to make money and make its customers happy.
will this post ever die? i got my powermax grados so long ago.

Sep 14, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #356 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrycro
will this post ever die? i got my powermax grados so long ago.

Yeah, it will die now that the rest of us know we WONT be getting our powermax grados. Congrats to you for getting yours.

For me, I will never purchase Grado products again.

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #357 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthewb
Yeah, it will die now that the rest of us know we WONT be getting our powermax grados. Congrats to you for getting yours.

For me, I will never purchase Grado products again.

Honestly....im pissed at Grado.

fill the orders.
THEN throw PowerMAx out...what gives? I ordered the day this thread showed up and never go the phones.

ugh

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #358 of 414
Yeah right... Like I'm going to order a pair of grados for cheap when I could order a Bose 2.1 system... Everyone knows the Bose motto around here.

Nothing beats Bose, except Bose.
wink.gif

Now I'm off to order a set for each of my family members. Spread the bose love!
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #359 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
Yeah right... Like I'm going to order a pair of grados for cheap when I could order a Bose 2.1 system... Everyone knows the Bose motto around here.

Nothing beats Bose, except Bose.
wink.gif

Now I'm off to order a set for each of my family members. Spread the bose love!
tongue.gif

I am not sure if you are joking or not, but no, Bose sucks for what it's priced at.......

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #360 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
I am not sure if you are joking or not, but no, Bose sucks for what it's priced at.......

Any real Head-Fier would never praise Bose...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back