Dillema: AKG 240S vs GRADO SR60s (or 80s?)
Jun 23, 2007 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

only500made

100+ Head-Fier
I have a dillema ... 240S vs SR60s (or 80s). I'll mainly use it for my Ipod 5G. I listen to all music genres but I'm heavy on RnB (Keith Sweat, Brian McKnight, etc). I'm not looking for too much bass to be honest since as I said, I listen to all sorts of musical genres. One day I might listen to chill/relax/ambient music, next day I might listen to some RnB tracks. So all in all, I want a headphone that can be flexible (bass when I need it, clarity when I need it).

I've also done some homework (newbie here) and I know the SR60 won't need an amp, but would I need a portable amp for the 240S or SR80s?

what can you guys reccomend to me?

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 31
A couple of things I think I like better about the SR-80 vs the SR60 is the four conductor cable on the SR-80 and the bowl pads as well.

I like the cable simply for the security of a "potentially" more robust unit, and the same pads as used on the more expensive Grados right on up through the RS-1.

A lot of folks like the comfies, but if pad rolling is a consideration....and darned if it isn't almost a right of passage with the plastiGrados....then the comfies aren't all that expensive and when coupled with the HD414 pads cost less than about $10, and that's a lot of fun to come up with just the right combination of performance and comfort for just ten bucks!

....a lot of folks like the "flats" but that's a bunch more bucks!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 31
You don't need an amp with the Grados or the 240s. You really can't go wrong with any of these headphones, but I prefer the 240s the most and the SR-80 the least.

I use the 240s at work and they don't disturb others. The 240s are more comfortable and sound better in my opinion.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 31
A lot of people have said that the K240-S needs an amp to sound not quite as good as a K240-M (which can't be portable w/o an amp anyway)

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 31
Not sure how the K240s compares but the K240 sextett is like, as Jon L put it, a "grado AKG". Tight and fast bass and VERY energetic midrange (electric guitars sound amazing).

Soundstage, imaging and details are right up there with cans that cost WAY more, IMO. hard to drive though.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how the K240s compares but the K240 sextett is like, as Jon L put it, a "grado AKG". Tight and fast bass and VERY energetic midrange (electric guitars sound amazing).

Soundstage, imaging and details are right up there with cans that cost WAY more, IMO. hard to drive though.

It doesn't compare.
plainface.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 31
The S version is not all that great, even when amped, is boomy, a bit sibilant, and not all that enjoyable.

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S version is not all that great, even when amped, is boomy, a bit sibilant, and not all that enjoyable.

exactly. boomy and sibilant. add hard to drive too

For a hassle free experience with the ipod, go for the sr60. I would also recommend the sr80s if it weren't for the hit and miss thing with people and bowl pads.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

if it weren't for the hit and miss thing with people and bowl pads

care to explain? remember you're talking to a rookie here
tongue.gif

so I suppose the SR60s then? Ive read in some reviews that the 80s have more bass in them too.

I liked the 240S because of its looks really (of course I had to read about it too). The SR60s had excellent reviews but the thing is that sometimes I dont want to disturb people neither.

right now, I can get the 240S right arround the retail price of the SR60s...I'm still undecided. SOS!
redface.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
care to explain? remember you're talking to a rookie here
tongue.gif

Ah; the thing about bowl pads!

History lesson! History lesson!

The current owner of Grado labs; John Grado, is the chief guru about all current things Grado and he is kinda like Enzo Ferrari in as much as it's his personality that goes into his cans...and I for one think it's great! But when the current batch of Grado(and Alessandro)phones came out a few years back they were delivered with "Flat" pads which were uh; flat, compared to the uh, bowl shaped bowls on the current cans.

Anyway; why the change to bowls? Rumor has it that as John Grado aged, so did his ears...makes sense, and John came up with the bowls so that he could enjoy the phones more with his older ears. True story? I dunno, but that's what I read here! Could be; seems reasonable. Works for me! And my 60+Y.O. ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

Bottom line; we all here hear differently and if you add up all the opinions possible about which pads sound best, be it bowls or flats or reversed bowls or reversed flats or comfies or modded comfies or 414 pads or reversed and modded 414 pads or modded 414 pads with dime or nickel or quarter or even silver dollar modded 414s or comfies, you'll find at least sombody who feels that's the best sound on either an SR-60 or SR-80 or SR-125 of SR-225 or MS-1 or MS2i or this one and not that one but perhaps the other on Tuesdays.

Me; I like the reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1 and bowls on my MS2i, but that's just me on my system with my kind of music with my musical tastes and depending on whether my Tinnitus is bad that day or not or I may just listen with Senns.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 31
For a newbie thats why I say keep things simple and get the sr60s (they have about 75% of the rs1 sound in them already). Reading F107plus5's post just goes to show that peoples tastes are different and since you haven't tried the grado sound yet, might as well start with something comfortable...SR60 with comfies. You can buy different pads for them anytime to see what sound signature you like and what comfort level you can tolerate and if you really enjoy the grado sound, you won't stick with your sr80s long around here anyways. You will jump to the 225 or rs series most likely cause the differences in grados like 80s and 60s aren't really as significant as the difference between grados with different enclosures... plastic/metal/wood.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

You will jump to the 225 or rs series most likely cause the differences in grados like 80s and 60s aren't really as significant as the difference between grados with different enclosures... plastic/metal/wood.

that's what i thought as well. I mean if the BASS was the only difference, I might as well just cop the 60s and change the equalizer setting on my ipod. I'll try to hit some store who sells em here. If I dont like the sound, I might just try something else.

btw, what are "comfies"?

anyone wanna give me an input about the K240S before I dismiss it?

thanks for everyone's input especially F107plus5. you dropped some major knowledge (no pun intended -for the young crowd)

PS
donunus, are you from the Philippines pare?
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 31
Eh...you mean the "bass booster" setting? That EQ setting creates a lot of clipping on all of my cans, can't imagine how bad it would sound with a bright Grado.

I've heard lowering the volume of your MP3's with MP3Gain is the quick-fix but I haven't tried it yet.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 31
nah, just keep it to the RnB setting or hiphop. sometimes I even just set it to off coz some RnB songs are just too heavy on bass (check the new R kelly joint).

you can also change the equalizer settings of the song itself or volume on itunes to balance things out (unprofessionally of course).

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh...you mean the "bass booster" setting? That EQ setting creates a lot of clipping on all of my cans, can't imagine how bad it would sound with a bright Grado.

I've heard lowering the volume of your MP3's with MP3Gain is the quick-fix but I haven't tried it yet.

Clipping is a function of power supply limitations and amplifier design.

If turning on the bass boost causes clipping, it's because bass is being boosted to voltages beyond the capabilities of the amplifier's power supply.

Try turning down the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back