Dilemma...to splurge on dt770-80 or not?
Oct 30, 2004 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

eitook

100+ Head-Fier
how's the soundstage imaging like for the dt770-80? From what i know, it is a closed headphone.. and generally open headphones tend to sound better. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong......

Does anybody have any recommendations for open headphones with good bass response while not sacrificing details? I have read about the sony cd-3000 and the alessandro ms-2, but those are way outta my price league.
I have also read about the ATH-A900, but that is closed as well. I currently own a grado sr-80 (getting pretty tired of its screechy highs and nonexistent soundstage) , and numerous closed headphones (hdj1000,senn hd212).

Should i hold off on the dt770, and perhaps try the senn hd580??
Source will be variable bit mp3s , with the MINT amp. Music genres : electronica, rock ,chillout and a little bit of classical.

Thanks for the feedback guys
basshead.gif

Oct 30, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 17
I think the AT A900 or the Senn HD 595 would be good choices depending on whether you want closed or open. They both have decent soundstage and bass. The DT 770 is liked by a lot of people but they usually say that they are headphones for bassheads.

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 17
The DT770/80 has a great soundstage. It's probably not as good as cans like the Senn HD580/HD6x0 or even it's bigger brother, the Beyerdynamic DT880, but I like it! If you get it from Guitar Center you can bargin it down to $160-$150, which makes it extremely competetive with open cans in it's price range (esp. in the bass dept.). It's great for electronica, good for rock, however I'm not sure how well it would do for classical, due to it's very colored sound.

EDIT: Iron_Dreamer has both the DT770/80 and the Senn HD650 so you could PM him for a comparison of the two.

Oct 30, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Run a search eitook, there is already a plethora of information to be had about these cans.

Hi there,
Yeah i have...hence my current state of fickleness... i don't know of anyone/anywhere i can audition the 2 cans side by side. I'm situated in australia, making it EVEN harder. I only have enough $$$ to blow on either of these 2 cans..the hd580 or dt770-80. dt770 has the legendary bass, while hd580 is open , and has a super smooth sound. cd3000 is outta my price league, and i don't want another grado/alessandro can.

Oct 30, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I think the AT A900 or the Senn HD 595 would be good choices depending on whether you want closed or open. They both have decent soundstage and bass. The DT 770 is liked by a lot of people but they usually say that they are headphones for bassheads.

Hi 3lusiv3,
you're from OZ too!!!
icon10.gif
you know of any places where i can audition the ath-a900,dt770-80 and hd580 side by side?

the senn hd595?? hrmm...ARGHS way too many choices! i'm going bonkerssssss! when oh whennnnnn will i ever find my holygrail??! *wail*

Anyway, i see that the hd580 is retailing for US175 in amazon.com...i'm a virgin when it comes to making international orders. any pointers??

Oct 30, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The DT770/80 has a great soundstage. It's probably not as good as cans like the Senn HD580/HD6x0 or even it's bigger brother, the Beyerdynamic DT880, but I like it! If you get it from Guitar Center you can bargin it down to $160-$150, which makes it extremely competetive with open cans in it's price range (esp. in the bass dept.). It's great for electronica, good for rock, however I'm not sure how well it would do for classical, due to it's very colored sound.

EDIT: Iron_Dreamer has both the DT770/80 and the Senn HD650 so you could PM him for a comparison of the two.

Hi Mr radar,
Guitar center? will they make international deliveries? I'm torn between the dt770-80 and hd580. I'm guessing the dt770 will go right up my alley since i'm a huge trance music fan. i listen to 80% electronica, 20 % the rest stated. BUTTTTTT i have this gut feeling, the hd580 will be a more solid buy. hrmmm.... i need instant gratification
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 17
I didn't notice that you were in Australia. They're a brick & morter retail chain in the US, and they don't ship stuff anywhere. You could have someone near a Guitar Center buy it for you and ship it, though I'm not sure how much customs and shipping would cost (and the price I quoted is in USD, in AUD it's about $200).

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 17
580 can be a bit hard to drive depending on your amlification. I'm not the right person to say anything about the 770, so I won't. BUT, I DO have the Senn HD590, which I find works very well for trance, especially Psytrance. Hallucinogen, Astral Projection, Juno Reactor, you name it, they all sound GREAT on the 590. It has a very bright overall sound, but with very strong bass, which works very well for psytrance - not only do you get the multiple layers of acid synths and samples thanks to the very bright and detailed treble, but you also get all the punchy bass to give them the extra kick. The 590's only weakness is the cable, which tends to produce a flat and hollow-sounding midrange, but the good news is that the cable can be changed. Stefan Audioarts makes a cable for the 590's which really does wonders for their sound (costs $125 though, but worth it). The 590 is much easier to drive than the 580, but you'll definitely need some sort of amplification to get the best sound out of them.

Just thought I'd chime in, since the 590 can also be added to your inventory of choices, making your life even more miserable
lambda.gif

P.S. Psytrance sounds even better on my Stax SR-001, but I won't go there
lambda.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
BUT, I DO have the Senn HD590, which I find works very well for trance, especially Psytrance. Hallucinogen, Astral Projection, Juno Reactor, you name it, they all sound GREAT on the 590. It has a very bright overall sound, but with very strong bass, which works very well for psytrance - not only do you get the multiple layers of acid synths and samples thanks to the very bright and detailed treble, but you also get all the punchy bass to give them the extra kick.

Just thought I'd chime in, since the 590 can also be added to your inventory of choices, making your life even more miserable
lambda.gif

P.S. Psytrance sounds even better on my Stax SR-001, but I won't go there
lambda.gif

LOL..... hi catscratch,
i read about the 590s prior to posting this thread as well... What's the fundamental differences between the hd590 and the newer hd595? ooo seems like your a huge psytrance fan huh...i'm into melodic/progressive trance..think steve helstrip, mike shiver, leama/moor, etc etc.

So my choices will boil down to :

-dt770-80 (most likely choice ATM)
-hd580 (will probably get this a few months down the line)
-hd595 (supposed to be a compromise between the grado/senn sound? hmm..)
-ath-a900 (all rounded performer..but do i really need another CLOSED can?)
-beyer 531 <--- anyone knows where i can obtain this in australia??

and another question : is there a HUGE audible sonic difference between the audigy 1 and audigy 2?? I read about the AV710, but do not know how i can obtain it in australia.

Oct 31, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 17
I find the bass on the 770-80s a bit too much, and the mids are definitely a bit weak. Overall, I think they'd be great for bassheads, or someone upgrading from the MDR-V700s. They're a bit veiled compared with my A900s too, though someone said a cable upgrade helps with that.

The 595s are on my list, dunno what's best for you though.

Oct 31, 2004 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eitook
LOL..... hi catscratch,
i read about the 590s prior to posting this thread as well... What's the fundamental differences between the hd590 and the newer hd595? ooo seems like your a huge psytrance fan huh...i'm into melodic/progressive trance..think steve helstrip, mike shiver, leama/moor, etc etc.

So my choices will boil down to :

-dt770-80 (most likely choice ATM)
-hd580 (will probably get this a few months down the line)
-hd595 (supposed to be a compromise between the grado/senn sound? hmm..)
-ath-a900 (all rounded performer..but do i really need another CLOSED can?)
-beyer 531 <--- anyone knows where i can obtain this in australia??

and another question : is there a HUGE audible sonic difference between the audigy 1 and audigy 2?? I read about the AV710, but do not know how i can obtain it in australia.

Re: the HD 590 and 595. The 595 is the better option. They are more balanced and more natural sounding and have a better midrange. The HD 590 has more bass but I don't find the 595 lacking in bass. The Hd 590 has very good detail and soundstage, but I would choose the HD 595.

You say that you don't really want another closed headphone when you mention the A900, but the DT 770 is also closed.
confused.gif
The A900 is probably the better option unless you want very strong bass.

The Beyer DT531 are discontinued and can only be bought second hand.

The HD 595 are currently in stock here:
http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/

Oct 31, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Re: the HD 590 and 595. The 595 is the better option. They are more balanced and more natural sounding and have a better midrange. The HD 590 has more bass but I don't find the 595 lacking in bass. The Hd 590 has very good detail and soundstage, but I would choose the HD 595.

You say that you don't really want another closed headphone when you mention the A900, but the DT 770 is also closed.
confused.gif
The A900 is probably the better option unless you want very strong bass.

The Beyer DT531 are discontinued and can only be bought second hand.

The HD 595 are currently in stock here:
http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/

Hi,
Thanks for directing me to wickeddigital.com, the 595 at aud 330...hrmm..very..VERY tempting indeed!! www.auspcmarket.com.au stocks the 595 as well. Oh, the reason i might go for the dt770 is for one sole purpose, regardless of whether it is closed/open.. THE BASS! i have read so much about it, i must experience it for myself!

Oct 31, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

In case you don't know, www.headphones.com.au is highly recommended and should be able to get the Beyers.

Hi,
yup...thats the place i'm gonna get it from.. as well as the MINT amp once i get my dosh. Hrmmm i guess if the dt770 is not up my alley, i'll just return it and swap for the 595 or the 580 (if they stock it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back