Dilemma: KEep 595 or return for A900??
Jul 25, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
You're right, to a point. Most people won't be able to identify that the mids are recessed but they will be able to notice that "Hey, the voices seem distant" or "Hey, the vocals seem nasal". Anyone can hear what people here hear.. they just don't know what they're hearing. This isn't some kind of super ears club, we've all got the same ears.

I'm still amazed when people say headphones have a peak at a certain frequency just from listening to it. But it's not because they have better hearing than other people.. they just know what they're hearing.

I understand
biggrin.gif
I'll need more listening time to see if I agree about the dt770 in particular=) IIRC, bjorks voice was in-my-head, and inside the earcups--that 3 blob effect I've heard about. But I didn't see the mids as recessed. Nht will have to give the dt770, or a900 for that matter, a good listen to determine how recessed the mids are before they become unacceptable. If I'm correct, that threshold is different for everyone
280smile.gif
I think it's also important to understand where the op is coming from, headphone wise. If he's coming from some lo-fi setup, like I am, I don't think he'll see the mids as bad.

From what I've read, the dt770's bass amped is better than the a900s hands down, and its mids are pulled more to the foreground and are balanced with the rest of the frequencies. From what it sounds like,the dt770 has more potential to shine than the a900. But I haven't given both cans a good listen to decide that, so imo
biggrin.gif

*edit*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
This isn't some kind of super ears club

LMAO. D00d, this site had put me in SUCH a great position to hear the dt770's. I've been reading everything I could of in the last few weeks here for a $200> can, and out of my three choices, the hd595, a900, and dt770, the dt770 really was at the bottom of the totem pole, simply cuz I had a strong impression(made from this site) that at best, the dt770 was so-so, e.g. for people who only wanted to hear bass. NO ONE said how amazing its soundstage would be for people who never heard a soundstage before. NO ONE said it would sound like a hi-fi stereo setup to low-fi ppl like me, lol;p It's all relative, and knowing that is VERY important;p Well, ONE guy did say if I was looking to be amazed, the a900 and dt770 would do the job. But that was just ONE guy, hehe=)

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 33
denl82, I felt the same about the DT770 as a "HP-youngster". But after owning it for a year I can't help resolving some flaws of this brave can - I doubt I would've been able to when it was my brand new toy. A900 is clearly superior.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
denl82, I felt the same about the DT770 as a "HP-youngster". But after owning it for a year I can't help resolving some flaws of this brave can - I doubt I would've been able to when it was my brand new toy. A900 is clearly superior.

Ahhh, hehe=) Mind telling me some of the flaws you came across?

You make a good point when you say you doubt you coulda spotted these flaws when you was "younger" to the headphone game, lol
lambda.gif

*edit* WOOT, almost got 100 post
biggrin.gif
And all I did was spend $100 so far
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Mind telling me some of the flaws you came across?

The two main flaws of the DT770 are the recessed mids (I personally don't mind this feature) and the too "laid back" bass.

This "relaxed" bass is perfect for some genres, especially electronica under 120 BPM, but if you give it some "harder stuff", the slowish bass response takes out much of the original energy of the music. Everything is slightly turned towards "pleasantly", like huuuge big old sofa. Really nice to listen to, no fatigue at all, but it's plainly wrong sometimes.

Second bad thing is that the DT770 sounds silly if you let it play jazz, classical, flamenco, folk, ...

I wish I would have chosen a A900 originally...because I did not have to put aside money for an additional HD650 now to display the above mentioned genres. But, to be honest, a DT770 plus a HD650 together will be much better gear than a standalone A900.

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Everything is slightly turned towards "pleasantly", like huuuge big old sofa. Really nice to listen to, no fatigue at all, but it's plainly wrong sometimes.

Aite, I think I know what you're talking about, lol. But I didn't know this could be a downfall for the can
tongue.gif
Fortunately for me, my main music is ambient, downtempo, and trip hop especially. If the dt770 can do drum and bass and jazz decently, I'll be happy
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 33
As long as you keep yourself within this musical territory, you'll love the big Beyer for sure.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #23 of 33
Bah! The sweet deal that I had for the used A900 fell through and that makes me want them even more now. And the thing is, I have only found one etailer that sells the A900 and one on ebay but that one is from Japan and Im always skeptical about buying from an overseas seller.

Does anyone know of a good retailer or etailer that sells the A900 for a good price? Im set on getting these right now but cant find a good price for them.

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #24 of 33
We germans are quite content with bluetin.com as AT reseller.

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

We germans are quite content with bluetin.com as AT reseller.

That goes for Northern Europe too... 3 days from Singapore to Finland!
Customs/post office is a proving a problem though (not Bluetins fault!). Incompetent ba****ds... Oh wait, I work for the post office!
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 33
I got my ATs from audiocubes.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #28 of 33
Jul 27, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #29 of 33
Just got my A900s today and have yet to find a genre which they don't do well. Truly a jack of all trades! They sound much better out of the box than my HD555 did.

I got mine from Bluetin and the delivery was quick and their responses to e-mails were fast and good. I would recommend them.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #30 of 33
Never heard the A900s, but I must say that after about a year with the 770s, I see little or no reason to change cans. I agree with Nichen about the slow/laid back bass of the 770, and although it definitely excels with music that is itself laid back, I do enjoy then with in your face hip-hop and techno as well. Sounds ridiculous with classical though unless you EQ the hell out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back