dilemma: JH13+balanced TWAG+RSA The Protector OR JH13+JH-3A DSP Amp
Sep 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

himynameis

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I bought a pair of used JH13's and I have the following dilemma:

Should I get these remolded, buy a balanced TWAG cable and a RSA The Protector   OR   sell them and buy directly from JHaudio the JH13+JH-3A DSP Amp combo?

If I understood correctly, the JH-3A is unbalanced;  also, TWAG cables are OCC which make a difference - what to do?

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 10
Anybody? I have to make a decision real soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 10
from a purely fiscal stand point.

option 1 will be cheaper and you wont have to wait.

option 2 will cost you a lot more and you'll have to wait a couple months for the jh3a to be finished.

hopefully someone that's heard both setups can tell you how they sound as i have not.  however, i do own the 16s(not remolds) and they are phenomenal on their own.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 10
If it helps make your decision easier, get rid of the twag. There is no hard evidence anywhere on this Earth that cables offer any improvement whatsoever. Don't fall for the scam. If, however, the urge to join the audiophile boys club becomes overpowering, you could DIY the same cable for around $50 instead of $350. Either way, there is no (sane, educated, and logical) excuse to drop that kind of money for a piece of wire.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 10
odd, i swear that my stock triple-fi 10 cables had more bass and less treble.  when i tried the 10s with my jh16 cables they had less bass had more high end and a larger soundstage.  i guess thats subjective though.

i agree that the pricing of cables is a bit out of control but i disagree in that i think they do help improve, or change, sq.  i admit it, i own twags and i think theyre just dandy.

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 10
cables DO make some difference most of the time and A LOT of difference sometimes

I personally experienced this - for instance, the power cable that feed a source like a DAC can make quite signifiant differences... OCC vs silver is almost day & night. Saying cables don't make a difference is pure specualtion and you should keep it to yourself...

@Ptahkeem  Both cost about the same: Balanced TWAG + Protector cost like 7-800 usd + the remolding of the JH13 ~150 usd + the price I payed for JH13's themselves 600$  TOTAL= 1500-1600   while JH combo is like 1700$

So, what shoulkd I do, go for balanced TWAG & RSA The Protector portable amp OR buy the JH combo???    I really don't wan't to buy both in order to decide.

One advantage of the TWAG & RSA is that the JH13 can be used with other amplifiers (balanced and unbalanced) whil the JH combo restricts you to their solution - a brilliant solution nevetheless (from the reviews I've read so far)

What would you do?

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 10
having heard both I would go with the 3a, it is a ground breaking product that is head and shoulders above the 13 or 16 with an amp balanced or not. If I were putting together a speaker system I'd go tri amped with an active crossover ( the 3a) over a balanced passive crossover (the rsa and jh13) any day of the week.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Thank you so much jp11801 for you thoughts on this "versus".

I'm delighted to hear someone's oppinion, who has listened to both setups - my heart was telling me the same thing but I had to make a well thought decision
smily_headphones1.gif
 You just made it alot easyer

If others have differnet thoughts regarding what has been disscused here, please feel free to respond

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back