DigiZoid ZO2 + Pro 900 = Distortion (vs. Fiio E5 & E11) *Video*
Feb 22, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #92 of 112

Quote:
Like I said before, E11 has several design choices that I just can't abide with and will never buy an E11 because of that. E17 is my purchase.

But I certainly wouldn't drive LCD-2 grade phones through an E17, they feel much more at home with desktop amps. Still, I might eventually consider one of those portable balanced amps, they pack considerable punch and might be able to handle just about any phones below HE-6.

E17 it is then. I'm just waiting patiently for stock. There's a reason why Fiio sells so well :)

In terms of the LCD-2, I'm curious to see how it sounds with the E17 because the LCD-2 isn't extremely hard to drive. I did read that the E10 was able to power the LCD-2!
My LCD-2 will be for home-use so I will be using a Desktop amp most of the time.
But when I do travel and want to bring my LCD-2, maybe the E17 will be sufficient.

Quote:
the E17 is pretty tankish but dropping an 125 pound dumbell is a no no.

there is some light leakage from the cracks. so it's not sealed 100% tight or anything. keep in mind each one is hand assembled at FiiO. they don't mention if it's an factory or their own workers. it seems it might be theirs. they mentioned something along the lines of testing E17 with their couple hundred computers at their office..

I meant that when I have one 125lb dumbbell resting on each leg/my lap, I don't have space for an amp in my pocket. I also don't like feeling my shorts pressing the amp against my leg when I'm doing 400lbs+ deadlifts
tongue.gif

Quote:
Ok one thing I forgot to state, which is QUITE important, especially to you.
I get 0 distortion on all 3 amps.

The ZO2 on max contour, on high/max low gain -> 0 distortion, pure bass inclusion.
Also the contour doesn't screw the mids or highs.
Although the bass because more overpowering -> ie with the MG7's

With the D2K's though, as they are VERY CAPABLE, i lose no mids nor any highs - simply adds to the bass like a baws

Today's report:
Little to no EMI interference with the ZO2 with my phone.
The A10 was unbearable, to the point that I got the amp out, and put it in my other pockets, disconnected on the way back home from work.

E11 won't test, and don't know - but i trust clieOS's review

I also have to say:
MG7 + ZO2 is brilliant - adds that mid-bass that was lacking vs my TFTA's -> this might be the perfect earphone setup for me now...!
Although, it doesn't go without saying the MG7's soundstage is pretty closed in - then again i get good isolation for that "flaw"

That's excellent that it works with your setup. As long as you find something that you're very happy with, then of course stick with it since everyone has their own preference.
It just doesn't work with my EQ at all.

I'll just be waiting until I can order the E17. Maybe I'll pick up a Pico Slim in the future.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #93 of 112
What bass level on ZO2.3 did you use when trying to EQ, you get best result together with EQ when you use a few steps higher than lowest, maybe around 4-5. I have no trouble EQing while using my ZO at least as long as I don't put a very high source volume that would go louder than what I'd be able to whitstand.

I could even use low gain and max "purple" vol lvl + 54% source volume and it didn't distort either going to max level on ZO2.3 or step back a few levels on ZO2.3 and up the EQ. I never tried going to max ZO2.3 bass level + EQing though because that would be way over the top for me.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #94 of 112

Quote:

That's excellent that it works with your setup. As long as you find something that you're very happy with, then of course stick with it since everyone has their own preference.
It just doesn't work with my EQ at all.

I'll just be waiting until I can order the E17. Maybe I'll pick up a Pico Slim in the future.

Do let us know how you personally find it in comparison tot he E11 :D!

Quote:
What bass level on ZO2.3 did you use when trying to EQ, you get best result together with EQ when you use a few steps higher than lowest, maybe around 4-5. I have no trouble EQing while using my ZO at least as long as I don't put a very high source volume that would go louder than what I'd be able to whitstand.

I could even use low gain and max "purple" vol lvl + 54% source volume and it didn't distort either going to max level on ZO2.3 or step back a few levels on ZO2.3 and up the EQ. I never tried going to max ZO2.3 bass level + EQing though because that would be way over the top for me.

I can go to red, on the MG7's with high gain + 60-70% volume
Just for testing...not THAT deaf ....yet.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #96 of 112

Quote:

As I have mentioned, I've tried EVERY Rockbox Clip+ EQ/ZO2 Contour lvl combination.

When I have the same to write my review with the data I documented, it'll be easier to understand.
In short, with the E11 and Rockbox Clip+ to bass +24dB, I get 0 distortion, bass impact is an unbelievable 10/10.

I did the recommended ZO2 way. Clip+ to bass +0db, ZO2 contour maxed out. Distortion is about a 0, but the bass impact is about a relative 7/10.

My next step is to slowly EQ the Clip+ to add more bass in increments of +1dB until I am able to obtain the bass impact of the E11.
I am able to get a bass impact of about an 8.5 before I get distortion. If I try to add more bass, impact stays at an 8.5, I just hear more distortion.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #97 of 112

Quote:

My next step is to slowly EQ the Clip+ to add more bass in increments of +1dB until I am able to obtain the bass impact of the E11.
I am able to get a bass impact of about an 8.5 before I get distortion. If I try to add more bass, impact stays at an 8.5, I just hear more distortion.

Not odd at all - as you EQ'ed the source, which usually is the most important thing.
But the distortion is interesting!

Either or doesn't matter, your E11 was better suited for you in the first place - cleaner sounding :)

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #98 of 112

Quote:
Not odd at all - as you EQ'ed the source, which usually is the most important thing.
But the distortion is interesting!

Either or doesn't matter, your E11 was better suited for you in the first place - cleaner sounding :)

...and for me, more bass.
tongue.gif

My local store, B&H is getting the E17 on April 1
confused_face.gif
I guess I'll be ordering it online
beyersmile.png

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #99 of 112

Quote:
...and for me, more bass.
tongue.gif

My local store, B&H is getting the E17 on April 1
confused_face.gif
I guess I'll be ordering it online
beyersmile.png

It's weird how easy it distorts for you though because I could use several EQs in kX Audio drivers for Audigy 2 ZS without distorting, must be limited to clip+'s EQ or then ZO2.3 still works best out of headphone jack use.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #100 of 112

Quote:
It's weird how easy it distorts for you though because I could use several EQs in kX Audio drivers for Audigy 2 ZS without distorting, must be limited to clip+'s EQ.

I also get distortion with my iPhone 4S using EQu's EQ for heavy bass, again with my Pro 900.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #103 of 112

Quote:
Is this with LOD only or both, did you ever try with headphone jack.

Both. Specifically HO.

With the LOD, low-gain doesn't get loud enough and high-gain is extremely loud and distorted.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #104 of 112
Well you'd probably get more bass without adding distortion the reduction way of EQing, leave bass at 0 levels and lower everything else, tried that? It's usually recommended for less distortion, cutting works better than boosting. Only in rare cases like hardware EQing boosting works just as good. That's why the EQ on kX Audio drivers worked so great cuz it was more directly speaking with the hardware and not passing through all kinds of software code. Especially crappy media player's EQ on the computer starts distorting almost immediatly when boosting frequencies unless lowering pre-amp. Usually the EQ on sources like soundcards works pretty well but Rockbox EQ and EQu is pretty much a software EQ so going the reduction route is usually smarter than boosting.

May 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #105 of 112
Well it's nice to hear negative feed back when comparing the Zo2 o the E11, as the Zo2 is more expensive

This may have been said already but what Amp Class are the Zo2 and the E11

When you said the Zo2 removes some detail my first though was maybe it's a Type A-B, a push pull, which usually results in loss of detail.

So again, what Amp Class is the E11 and Zo2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back