Digital volume controlls
Dec 16, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 13
I've played with them a bit, but the problem with most of them is that they're ground-referenced, as they're usually designed for single-rail portable systems. This usually results in strange start-up problems when you use them in a virtual ground (or presumably, true dual-rail) systems. Usually it's no more than a bit of clicky noise; not desirable at best.

Another difficulty is that if you're not willing to attach a microcontroller to it, you eliminate most of the options immediately. And what's left usually only lets you use two pushbuttons to make the volume go up and down.

These are all solvable problems, but if you're just looking for a drop-in replacement for an analog pot, you'll probably find the project to be more hassle than it's worth.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 13
It depends on which ones you are referring to. The Dallas/Maxim DS chips offer easy interfaces, but aren't that great. The TI/BB PGA chips are pretty good (quiet volume transitions, etc), but I find their integrated buffers to be a bit hissy unless you are very careful. Wolfson recently discontinued their's.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wolfson recently discontinued their's.

Such a shame too, I went to order a few of them to make a balanced volume control and they were discontinued only a few weeks back. They were the best volume control chips available

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 13
hmm I think in my class D amp I am working on I may just end up using an adjustable DC-DC reg to change the volume by altering the mosffet supply voltage. seems like I will end up using less power that way.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 13
See here: Head-HIFI.com - Headphone Amplifiers this design uses a standard linear taper pot. The audio taper is done in software.

One of the nice things about a digital volume control is that you can lock out the pushbuttons so the volume doesn't accidentally change. Also, you have flexibility in software, which is something you don't have with a mechanical pot.

One other thing to point out is that you can also use a rotary encoder if you don't like pushbuttons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone used one of these in an amplifier project? do they live up to expectations?

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Schuro has a kit with the PGA2310 for 30€ : http://www.ub-audio.de/download-produkte/vc-kurz-en.pdf

I've sent them 4 emails during the last month to make an order and never got an answer... I used the two email accounts they provide and still nothing. Just to let you guys know that it might be difficult to place an order with them.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Our Kookaburra uses the BB PGA2311 and the upcoming POGO uses the PGA2320 (their best chip). I actually have a few Kookaburra boards/kits left.

It uses a micro-controller to monitor the position of a simple 5K pot, then control the volume of the chip. It also slowly ramps up volume at startup. Power supply is built in (just needs a small transformer). Input buffer makes it work anywhere, and the output buffer can easily drive headphones. The opamps are socketed so it's easy to swap them out.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've sent them 4 emails during the last month to make an order and never got an answer... I used the two email accounts they provide and still nothing. Just to let you guys know that it might be difficult to place an order with them.

as far as I know Schuro doesn't ship abroad (Germany only)

Dantimax in Denmark offers PGA2310 kits:
Dantimax (elektronik) - Selectors_-_attenuators

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 13
Dec 19, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 13
oh, they changed their terms and conditions of shipping

unfortunately, from my experience, they have been all but fast when it comes to answering questions (if they answer at all). Maybe they got problems with their spam filter, maybe they are just overloaded with work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back